Samsung compares Galaxy Tab S to iPad in continued anti-Apple ad campaign

Posted:
in iPad edited July 2014
Following up on last week's anti-Apple spot in which iPhone users were called "wall huggers," Samsung on Friday aired two ads aimed at iPad owners, touting Galaxy Tab S features like split-screen multitasking and Super AMOLED displays.

The first ad takes aim at iOS, noting Apple's mobile OS does not support "true" multitasking. As seen in the video below, a father tries to -- unsuccessfully -- share a tablet bearing a striking resemblance to the iPad with his baby. Without split-screen multitasking, dad can't track a soccer match and keep baby entertained with "Rio."

While onscreen graphics (which are simulated) fail to directly show iOS, the operating system's lack of a split-screen mode has previously been used as anti-Apple fodder by Microsoft in its ads for Windows. Samsung is doing much the same.

A narrator chimes in with his thoughts on the situation, suggesting the problem is easily solved with Samsung's Galaxy Tab S.

"What's going on? Ah, it looks like dad's tablet can only do one thing at a time. What if it were a Samsung Galaxy Tab S? With the Galaxy Tab S, the whole family has something to smile about."

Apple has long been rumored to include a split-screen solution for its iPad lineup, but evidence of the feature remained elusive. However, recently-discovered code from an iOS 8 beta build strongly suggests the company is working to roll out split-screen viewing in the near future.

Samsung's second spot is less of an anti-Apple ad than it is a swipe at LCD technology. Apple's iPad, and many current tablet offerings from rival manufacturers, use high-resolution LCD panels, while Samsung has been touting its AMOLED screens, branded as "Super AMOLED."

Once again, the disembodied voice suggests an alternative in the Galaxy Tab S, saying, "What went wrong here? Ah, it's not a Super AMOLED. What if it were a Samsung Galaxy Tab S? Compared to many LCDs, Super AMOLEDs give you 100 times higher contrast. Instead of 1000-to-1, you get 100,000-to-1 contrast."

The ad does, however, offer a fairly concise explanation of the differences between the two display technologies:
Conventional LCDs get their color using a backlight, but Super AMOLEDs turn off pixel by pixel, each emitting their own light. So you get all the fine details and varied shades of black that many LCDs can't show.

At the end of each commercial, the narrator wraps things up by asking, "Do you see what I see," a departure from Samsung's "Next big thing is here" tagline for its Galaxy S smartphone lineup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    OK, I actually find that commercial kind of cute (the one with the kid). And it plays up the strengths of multitasking windows (even if it may not appeal to YOU personally).

Still wouldn't buy a Galaxy Tab S though.
  • Reply 2 of 66
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Oh quick. Apple did a parenting ad. We need a parenting ad too!

• Reply 3 of 66
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I don't believe that contrast ad for a moment. The guy is wearing a white shirt. If that didn't show up on an iPad I would complain too, but we all know it was just a lie.

Read the last disclaimer screen. "Certain images and video may be enhanced."

• Reply 4 of 66
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    Who cares... Most screens from the first retina on up look great...

Who is choosing a pad based on screen quality anymore.

No airprint? Then forget it for me.

Does it sync with my mac content? Oh i need to do what? Buy a windows computer?

Folks can keep pretending that the android ecosystem is better... Why? Interchangeable keyboard and widgets?

ALL my investment dollars are on apple. There is no way i am going to buy any samsung stock.

Apple has fixed most shortcomings eventually and i continue to trust that they will do that. The "best" screen is obsolete within 2 years now...
  • Reply 5 of 66
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    This will double their tablet sales. I'll bet they sell over 200 this quarter
  • Reply 6 of 66
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator

Samsung has done a great job with that first ad to convince me I want a tablet that does split screen.

Apple has done a great job over the years to convince me I want a rock-solid OS that doesn't have malware and doesn't share my personal information.

There's only one thing to do.  Upgrade my iPad to iOS 8 when it comes out.  Next problem!

• Reply 7 of 66

I will remember that the next time I need to keep a baby entertained with Rio.

(No I won't)

• Reply 8 of 66

Are we still on Super AMOLED? I thought by now we were on Super-Duper-Duper AMOLED now with more specs.

• Reply 9 of 66
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member

Why doesn't the dude just get the tyke his own tablet and then they won't have to share?  Making fun of Apple's products are easy to do if you pick out features that iOS doesn't support and I'm sure there's plenty of them.  I suppose multitasking could be useful for some things, but I'd hardly think it was a deal-breaker.  I guess you buy what you need.  I think Samsung is wasting its time using comparisons to Apple's iPad because Samsung should be pushing the merits of its tablet without any reference to the iPad at all.  I like that commercial but I doubt it will have any negative impact upon iPad sales.

• Reply 10 of 66
    swissmac2swissmac2 Posts: 216member
    Now remind me, which is the company that has had to announce falling profits in the last three quarters? Ah yes, the Galaxy S hit maker... and that's while relying on Apple to provide new ideas for them!
  • Reply 11 of 66
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I suppose multitasking could be useful for some things, but I'd hardly think it was a deal-breaker.

Note that iOS had multitasking from day one and background app APIs for years now. This is split screen, which, as you say, can have some useful aspects but mostly it's just going to be an annoyance on a small display unless it's designed well… which I have yet to see.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    I have slowly become an apple guy (not a FANBOY), just a guy that wanted to see what the hype was about, and although IMO--overpriced, I enjoy using my macbook pro. I am considering getting an iPad when the new ones come out, but not 100% sold on it. Not sure I need a tablet.

I must say, all the negative responses to samsung ads is getting a little long in the tooth. So what if they are comparing their stuff to what we use. No big deal. Or what is their saying, No next big thing , something like that. I don't care, but being new to apple products, and reading the "apple" pages, I do feel irritated by the comments. Let it go people. Who really cares that much.

There, lol, vent done.

Enjoy what you can have, and don't worry about what others have or are buying. Be yourself.
    lol. I laugh at that last comment I made because i did just the opposite, and purchased an apple product because of the hype from others. hehehe
  • Reply 13 of 66
    I'll be interested to see if Samsung even supports this model with updates past a year.
  • Reply 14 of 66
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    Split screen will merely cause you have a crossed eye!

Just look at the kid eye!
  • Reply 15 of 66
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifonlyihad1 View Post

I have slowly become an apple guy (not a FANBOY), just a guy that wanted to see what the hype was about, and although IMO--overpriced, I enjoy using my macbook pro. I am considering getting an iPad when the new ones come out, but not 100% sold on it. Not sure I need a tablet.

I must say, all the negative responses to samsung ads is getting a little long in the tooth. So what if they are comparing their stuff to what we use. No big deal. Or what is their saying, No next big thing , something like that. I don't care, but being new to apple products, and reading the "apple" pages, I do feel irritated by the comments. Let it go people. Who really cares that much.

There, lol, vent done.

Enjoy what you can have, and don't worry about what others have or are buying. Be yourself.

lol. I laugh at that last comment I made because i did just the opposite, and purchased an apple product because of the hype from others. hehehe

Thats just how we are.  We love Apple- we hate the rest. (kind of kidding)

Id recommend hanging out here for a couple months- particularly when the new iPhone gets released.  Watch and observe the trolls gushing in- and you'll then understand our hatred. ;)

I will say; however- This is Samsung.  They are the worst of the worst of the worst.  I can point you to a Roku/Apple TV thread a couple back where Roku is kindly talked about because they make a solid product.  Same with Pebble when its brought up in Smart Watch discussion.  Samsung gets the hate, because well- they deserve it.

• Reply 16 of 66
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

These ads are horrendous, on so many levels. Not because of Samsung- some of their earlier "Next big thing" ads have been witty/funny, even if not accurate. But there ads are just...bad. Theyre trying so, so hard to invent scenarios where split screen is actually desirable, and failing miserably. 

Ad 1:

- So, the dad chooses to watch a soccer match that spans 1/8 of a tablets display? Really, is that actually enjoyable?

- In what fucking world would someone CHOOSE to watch those things split screened? And have audio coming out of one? He can't afford a damn TV for his kid (or himself?) or a 2nd cheap-ass tablet? Any solution would be 1000% better than the one they're trying to advertise. Perfect example of shoving a feature down peoples throats no matter how shitty it is. 

- Notice how hes manually propping the tablet at an angle with his hands with no support? Yeah, what a realistic thing someone would do. Is he gonna do that for the full 2 hr movie? I got uncomfortable just watching the ad for a couple seconds.

- Why is the keyboard so fucking tiny on that tablet display? UI looks absolutely horrible

- The sidesync thing..wow. What a lazy, awkward interface. Instead of intelligently deciding to display notifications, they mirror the whole damn phone screen. Hilarious. 

Ad 2:

- The whole ad was incredibly boring, it seemed like I was listening to an overly drawn out technical lecture. And what the **** are they doing, anyway? Just a dull ad trying to bash an aspect of iPads that I think people are happy with- the displays. From what I've seen, Samsungs displays are an over-saturated, inaccurate mess of colors. Yeah, they stand out in stores, at the expense of any type of accuracy. 

- What kind of douchebags watch a movie simultaneously on 2 tablets side by side? I've never seen that in my life, and I hope I never do. I love how in both these ads people are doing things much more suited to a TV. 

Worst ads ever. I hope they stick with the "Do you see what I see" tagline though. Its so fucking awkward. 

• Reply 17 of 66
    jpmiajpmia Posts: 63member
    mejsric wrote: »
    Split screen will merely cause you have a crossed eye!

Just look at the kid eye!

exactly what i was about to say... split seeen = mesed up eyes.
  • Reply 18 of 66
    seanie248seanie248 Posts: 180member
    ad is perfectly targeted. Most Android users can't afford 2 devices, so have to share their pad with the kid.

apple family probably have disposable income to afford more devices

;)
  • Reply 19 of 66
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member

More desperation from the Copy King?—On its downturn.

OK boys ’n girls,

Hands ready at your handles:

1, 2, Flush!

Bye, bye Sam-i.

?Lie, Lying, Liest Low

Market is the King!

?And Netherworld

?Flushed—new realm,

In Hell’s choir,

There Ye sing.

I believe that singing in hell is a bit of a misnomer for Choral Screaming.

• Reply 20 of 66
    aussiepaulaussiepaul Posts: 144member
    That guy is so cheap he can't afford an iPad for his kid to play all on his own.
    He probably doesn't even let his kid touch his Galaxy. What a tool...