Killer Deal: Save up to $250 on Apple's new Macs plus get a 3-Year AppleCare Protection Plan for fre

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited August 2014
As part of its ongoing effort to deliver the lowest prices anywhere on Apple's Macs and iOS devices, AppleInsider is teaming up with Apple Authorized Reseller Adorama to give away 3-Year AppleCare Protection Plans with the purchase of each Mac from now till Aug. 12th. When combined with instant discounts of up to $250 on the Macs themselves, plus added tax-savings benefits in 48 of 50 states, the average savings from this promotion range from $300 and $800 off MSRP.

AppleCare for Mac

To take advantage of the offer, begin by selecting your Mac of choice from the Adorama column (far right) in our Macs + AppleCare Price Guide (also below). These links will take you to a page on Adorama's website with a higher price than you see in the price guide, because it bundles in the cost of the 3-Year AppleCare Protection Plan (you'll deduct that cost in a moment).

If you don't already have a free Adorama VIP account, you'll need to take 10 seconds to register for one so that you can add the Mac+AppleCare bundle to your cart. (It also gives you a few benefits like a free 30GB of cloud storage). After you register, you can then add your selected Mac + AppleCare bundle to your cart and begin the checkout process.

Once you enter a delivery address and select a shipping preference (but before you're required to provide any payment info) you'll be presented with a "Gift / Coupon Code" field. Enter coupon code AP08072014 and click "Apply." The coupon code will disappear and you should now see the advertised price in the upper right-hand side of the window.

If you're shipping your Mac+AppleCare bundle to any state other than NY and NJ, this will be your final price, as Adorama does not charges tax on orders shipped to the other 48 states. This typically adds another $70-$200 in savings for most customers.

We've also published a Illustrated Step-by-Step Help Guide for any readers who may hit a snag in the process, or who prefer to see the coupon redemption process visually before proceeding. (Readers can also see: What is AppleCare for Mac and What Does it Cover?)

If you do not see your desired configuration in the Macs + AppleCare Price Guide, you can email us at [email protected] and let us know which configuration you're looking for and we'll try and make it happen.

Please Note: This promotion is available only when ordering from Adorama's website and will remain active while supplies last. If an item is listed as out of stock, orders placed for that item will be shipped in the order they are received. Most current Macs are shipping out within 24 hours, but some special configurations could take a few days longer.

For readers looking for coupons on Macs without AppleCare or iOS devices, check out our regular Price Guides and Deals tracker.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    Quote:

If you're shipping your Mac+AppleCare bundle to any state other than NY and NJ, this will be your final price, as Adorama does not charges tax on orders shipped to the other 48 states. This typically adds another $70-$200 in savings for most customers.

This does not relieve the buyer of the obligation to pay sales/use tax in their home state, if one is due. Some states, such as IL, require residents to report untaxed internet purchases on their annual income tax return, and to pay the owed use tax at that point.

So the offer from Adorama does NOT effect a $70-$200 savings, but rather merely increases the amount of work the consumer must do, because Adorama is refusing to collect the owed tax as a responsible party (such as Apple) would normally do.  This is a misleading advertisement.

• Reply 2 of 54

Just noticed something subtle on the Price Guide that is difficult to notice and I'd like to believe, unintentionally misleading. The Adorama price you quote on the Price Guide for this http://www.adorama.com/ACME293LLA10.html MacBook Pro does not match the other Macbook Pro's. This one does not have the NVIDIA discrete graphics card. This one however does and matches the rest http://www.adorama.com/ACME294LLA.html. Hope you can address it soon before consumers are unintentionally misled. Thanks!

• Reply 3 of 54
    The link to the 27" imac for 2499 is bogus(27.0" iMac (3.5GHz/8GB/3TB Fusion). When you click on the link it lists for $2817 (similar to B&H) and when you apply the coupon code it drops it to $2699. As stated above, these are VERY misleading advertisements.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by appinsiderguest View Post

Just noticed something subtle on the Price Guide that is difficult to notice and I'd like to believe, unintentionally misleading. The Adorama price you quote on the Price Guide for this http://www.adorama.com/ACME293LLA10.html MacBook Pro does not match the other Macbook Pro's. This one does not have the NVIDIA discrete graphics card. This one however does and matches the rest http://www.adorama.com/ACME294LLA.html. Hope you can address it soon before consumers are unintentionally misled. Thanks!

Thanks. This has been corrected on the regular Price Guides and we're waiting on a fix for the AppleCare Bundle for this SKU. Hopefully by tomorrow. 

• Reply 5 of 54
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

This does not relieve the buyer of the obligation to pay sales/use tax in their home state, if one is due. Some states, such as IL, require residents to report untaxed internet purchases on their annual income tax return, and to pay the owed use tax at that point.

So the offer from Adorama does NOT effect a $70-$200 savings, but rather merely increases the amount of work the consumer must do, because Adorama is refusing to collect the owed tax as a responsible party (such as Apple) would normally do.  This is a misleading advertisement.

Why do we have to go through this tax subject every time something like this is posted? Just because its required by the state, doesn't mean people do it. NY asks you on the NYS income taxes too, but nobody in their right mind ever enters anything in. We always state we didn't purchase anything untaxed on the internet. 

• Reply 6 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

...NYS income taxes too, but nobody in their right mind ever enters anything in. 

The "wrong mind" being the law-abiding, ethical mind, I suppose.  Sorry to hear there are none in NY.

The main reason I brought it up is that the bulk of the savings being offered is being achieved through Adorama's participation in tax-evasion, whereas the competing products are honest sales.  Of course, if you live in a non-sales-tax state, then the other channels also do not charge a tax, and a similar savings can be obtained.  The actual discount offered by Adorama is small--not to ignore it--but it's not as big as is being made out.

That said, the free 3-year Apple Care is a nice bundle.  :)

• Reply 7 of 54
    Quote:

The "wrong mind" being the law-abiding, ethical mind, I suppose.  Sorry to hear there are none in NY.

The main reason I brought it up is that the bulk of the savings being offered is being achieved through Adorama's participation in tax-evasion, whereas the competing products are honest sales.  Of course, if you live in a non-sales-tax state, then the other channels also do not charge a tax, and a similar savings can be obtained.  The actual discount offered by Adorama is small--not to ignore it--but it's not as big as is being made out.

That said, the free 3-year Apple Care is a nice bundle.  :)

There are no tax-savings factored into the prices in the Price Guides because they are not applicable to everyone, and they're certainly not the "bulk" of the savings for higher ASP items. Adorama's discounts on Macs alone are roughly $20-$50 on MacBook Airs, $100 on Mac Pros and 13-inch MacBook Pros, and $150-$250 on 15-inch MacBook Pros. iMacs vary ($70-150). So I don't think its accurate to say the actual discounts are small. In many cases the discounts are pretty significant. Tax savings would be another $70-$200 across most of the Mac family. 

• Reply 8 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

There are no tax-savings factored into the prices in the Price Guides because they are not applicable to everyone, and they're certainly not the "bulk" of the savings for higher ASP items. Adorama's discounts on Macs alone are roughly $20-$50 on MacBook Airs, $100 on Mac Pros and 13-inch MacBook Pros, and $150-$250 on 15-inch MacBook Pros. iMacs vary ($70-150). So I don't think its accurate to say the actual discounts are small. In many cases the discounts are pretty significant. Tax savings would be another $70-$200 across most of the Mac family. 

I stand corrected.

And the free Apple Care is still a nice bundle.

• Reply 9 of 54

I see you deleted my post >.<. Either way thank you for removing the link to the incorrectly advertised item.

• Reply 10 of 54
    jibjib Posts: 56member
    It is inaccurate to imply Adorama is not responsible because it does not collect out of state taxes. Merchants like Apple are required to collect taxes from all states in which they have a presence -- store, warehouse, etc. Few merchants collect taxes when they are not required to. That is the standard practice for most dealers -- it is expensive for merchants to collect and remit taxes to all jurisdictions.

The free AppleCare is a worthwhile deal, and many people also consider the collection of taxes to be relevant in their purchase decisions.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Quote:

Small to mid-sized companies are not required to collect sales tax except where they have a physical presence. Larger online retailers in the US are now required to collect sales tax for all regions in the US which is quite difficult for a merchant especially for places like California where there are perhaps more than 100 different regions.

I do agree with you it does seem a bit unethical for it to be advertised that they don't charge sales tax in other states "wink wink".  And true, almost no one does declare their online purchases on their state income tax. But nobody drives the speed limit either, so what do you expect? I do drive the speed limit as well as obey ALL laws. Didn't always used to when I was younger, but do now. I only buy directly from Apple anyway so it is a non-issue for me.

• Reply 12 of 54
    Great prices, thanks!!

I was going to order a refurb iMac AppleCare for my mom direct from Apple, but this even beats that price by $100 once I add in the external optical drive -- and Mom gets a brand new Mac instead of a refurb.

One more error to point out though. The first iMac listed says 2.7 GHz, but that is the price for the 1.4 GHz machine. Unless I'm mistaken, that line should say (1.4GHz/8GB/500GB).

Thanks,
    Matt
  • Reply 13 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CallMeMatt View Post

Great prices, thanks!!

I was going to order a refurb iMac AppleCare for my mom direct from Apple, but this even beats that price by $100 once I add in the external optical drive -- and Mom gets a brand new Mac instead of a refurb.

One more error to point out though. The first iMac listed says 2.7 GHz, but that is the price for the 1.4 GHz machine. Unless I'm mistaken, that line should say (1.4GHz/8GB/500GB).

Thanks,

Matt

Yup. Thank you. Fixed on next sync.

K

• Reply 14 of 54
    lallarnlallarn Posts: 1member

I got a question regarding this deal. I'm currently residing in Norway but I was on my way to purchase a MBP in the US but ship it to my aunt and then pick it up in a few weeks. I was first looking into the deals a B&H, where I saw that you could get good deals with the 3-year AppleCare auto-enrollment plan. However, when I tried to check out it didn't work when my billing address was in Norway due to restrictions on the auto-enrollment AppleCare Plan. Fair enough, my plan then was to just get the laptop at B&H and then go get the AppleCare (albeit a bit more expensive) at any physical Apple Store. However, when this deal is up at Adorama, my plans should maybe be altered a bit. So, anyone have any knowledge if the AppleCare Plan that's bundled with the deal for a 15" MBP is eligible for a resident in Norway? I'd hate to buy it and then find out the AppleCare plan does not cover me for example.

In this instance too, since I would ship it to PA, I'd be "tax free" and since I won't declare any taxes in the US I guess I'm in the free, no?

Or are there any problems with my line of reasoning?

• Reply 15 of 54
    I wanted to wait for the refresh, but this seemed attractive enough. The 2.6ghz 16gb ram 1tb drive model was comparable to Apple's refurb price + AppleCare. I like the way Apple refurbs machines, as they seem extra solid to me. However, this deal comes without the sales tax I'd normally have to pay in Seattle, so I went for it.

I thank Apple Insider for their efforts, it's one of the more enticing deals I've seen offered. However, the deal almost seems fake the way Adorama carries it out. My wife and I registered for a VIP account. We then bought it with cash we had in our PayPal account, sending it to our paypal confirmed address.

I checked this afternoon to find the paypal refunded, and all traces of our account gone. They never called or emailed us, anything. So unlike with their competitor B&H (which is the camera store we order most from, along with Amazon), there's no verification that goes on. They just delete new accounts without a trace, for no rhyme or reason. Maybe they sold out, but they could've at least told us. Very weird.

I'm 3 hours away timezone wise, so it was impossible to call them while working today, but I'll likely give them a call tomorrow morning. Or who knows, maybe Apple will do an uncharacteristic spec bump during the school buying season. It sure would be nice to get an Nvidia 860M GPU, since significant changes have been made.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    I have been dealing with Adorama for 2 days now. They canceled my first order on a Macbook Air "just because." They told me nothing happened to it and order again. I did but it went on hold. I called to get everything straightened out, and they refuse to refund the funds from the first order in order to get the second order to go through. This deal is not worth the hassle you must go through.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    This seems a little scammy to me. Example: they list Apples price on the entry level 27" iMac at $1968 saying it comes with a 2.9Ghz processor. Apple does not list this confiuration in their store. Apple's entry level on the 27" is $1799 for a 3.2Ghz. This is to slippery for me. I am going to stay away from this.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    cvbcvbcvbcvb Posts: 5member

Has ANYONE successfully purchased via this Adorama “killer deal” (low mac price + free applecare)?

• Reply 19 of 54
    jiminsdjiminsd Posts: 20member
    I am in the market for a high end iMac so I just checked out Adorama. There are some good prices but I am a little suspicious. They use Apple's picture for older 2012 iMac versions rather than the picture for the newest 2013 versions. No where on their website do they specify the release date for the iMac I am looking at. Furthermore, Mavericks is not installed but a free upgrade. Are these 2012 or 2013 iMacs?
  • Reply 20 of 54

I saw this deal and went for it. Got the 15.4 rMBP with a 2.6ghz processor, 16gb RAM, and 512gb SSD for $2,599. This is $200 cheaper than this configuration if bought directly from Apple, and included AppleCare valued at $349. So I saved $549. I ordered on Monday and had my Mac on Wednesday. I am typing this on it right now. So I can unequivocally say that this deal is legit. So glad I stumbled upon it! Thanks AppleInsider!