Google now warns iPhone users when search results contain Adobe Flash

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    Yes, but with WebGL is much becoming much part of HTML 5 it shows Apple sees the web as the enemy.

The only way round for Apple owners is to abandon the web and find an app that fulfils the requirement.
    I think Apple sees the web as the enemy of their monopoly.

Quite obviously you make far less money giving the consumer what they want. Incompatibility is what Apple is all about.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Yes, but with WebGL is much becoming much part of HTML 5 it shows Apple sees the web as the enemy.

The only way round for Apple owners is to abandon the web and find an app that fulfils the requirement.
    I think Apple sees the web as the enemy of their monopoly.

Quite obviously you make far less money giving the consumer what they want. Incompatibility is what Apple is all about.

WebGL is in Safari, you just have to enable it in the developer menu. There were security/stability concerns allowing a browser low-level access to the GPU. The upcoming Safari release indicates it might be enabled by default:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/07/11/apple-introduces-new-webkit-features-in-latest-safari-beta-builds-for-os-x-mavericks-mountain-lion

"WebGL. Safari support for WebGL allows developers to create 3D experiences that work natively without plug-ins."
  • Reply 43 of 48
    The reason OS/X got it is that as yet OS/X does not ban real browser installs.

Anyway WebGL is effectively OpenGL ES 2.0.
    So are they going to ban all fancy apps too? I think not !

Like I said, the reason WebGL is not there is that Apple favors Intranets. They dislike the internet intensely.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    The reason OS/X got it is that as yet OS/X does not ban real browser installs.

Anyway WebGL is effectively OpenGL ES 2.0.
    So are they going to ban all fancy apps too? I think not !

Like I said, the reason WebGL is not there is that Apple favors Intranets. They dislike the internet intensely.

The iPhone was originally going to be web-apps only. They had no desire to block web content, it was the exact opposite. Developers and consumers both correctly spoke out against this in favor of native apps. People don't want apps running in browsers. Bringing WebGL to mobile means making it work with touch, which is another problem with Flash. It looks like WebGL is coming with iOS 8 too though:

http://blog.ludei.com/webgl-ios-8-safari-webview/
  • Reply 45 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The iPhone was originally going to be web-apps only. 

Well, they built app creation foundations into iPhone OS 1 from the get-go; Steve just didn’t think it was viable. 

People don't want apps running in browsers.

Hear, hear. People also don’t want to be forced into the MOBILE WEB WHEN IOS EXPLICITLY EXISTS TO GET RID OF THAT.

• Reply 46 of 48
    dawesidawesi Posts: 3member
    Flash still is the bomb for video, that's why most apple OSX users have it in their browsers.

It died (on ios that is, as everywhere elese everyone seems to still have it) because Apple couldn't stop people from using flash to bypass it's payment firewall. The decision was about money.

Having said that, flash does run well on ios if you jailbreak it.

Anyone who says flash is dead is the same person who thinks an ipad is a productivity tool and not a glorified photo frame.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    dawesidawesi Posts: 3member
    Flash still is a very good technology. Pity it's not on ios, that's ios's loss.

to : sflocal who wrote:
    But...but... the Android fanboys all said that Flash is SO superior on their Android devices. Where are they now?!

You mean the gaming companies using flash cross platform making 10's of millions of dollars.

Flash is a billion dollar industry NOW.

It is a technology that was way ahead of it's time, that even now is still on pretty much every device (and pretty much all jailbroken i-devices).

Credit where it is due. - steve jobs was wrong on this one.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    freshmaker wrote: »
    But...but...Google is evil!  Why would they do something helpful?  /s

Every bad apple has good eggs, as the saying doesn't go.