Samsung brings premium 'Level' headphone and speaker lineup stateside to battle Apple's Beats

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2015
Samsung on Wednesday announced the imminent release of its "Level" headphone and portable speaker lineup, which features four premium devices seemingly aimed directly at Apple's Beats hardware.

Source: Samsung

With Apple's $3 billion acquisition of Beats in May, the tech giant gained one of the most popular -- and high margin -- headphone brands on the market in Beats by Dre. Now, arch rival Samsung is getting in on the action with its own mobile-first premium audio lineup called Level.

Launching tomorrow through an exclusive 72-hour deal with online shopping network Gilt, Samsung's product line includes two headphones, one earphone and one Bluetooth speaker.

The top-tier Level Over is priced at $350 and comes packed with 50mm drivers, wireless capabilities, active noise cancellation with four integrated mics, audio enhancing tech and on-board physical control for volume, music playback and voice call functions.

Samsung's Level On is a more compact on-ear design with 40mm drivers and plush polyurethane ear cushions. The On also features a foldable chassis and comes in at $180. The Level lineup's least expensive piece of kit is the $150 Level In, an in-ear headphone that sports a three-way speaker system consisting of with two balanced armatures and a dynamic driver.

Rounding out Samsung's new mobile audio offerings is the $170 Level Box, a Bluetooth speaker with two 56mm drivers with passive radiator, NFC, pairing, on-board controls, built-in microphone for speakerphone duties and a battery capable of a claimed 15 hours of playback.

Level is being marketed by Samsung's mobile arm, which is interesting considering the company usually goes through its audio division for such products.

Comparisons will likely be drawn with audio hardware from Apple's Beats Electronics, makers of some of the most popular mobile headphones on the market. Beats' products are priced above equivalent Samsung Level devices, an example being the $380 Beats Studio Wireless over-ear style headphone.

All four Level products are slated to start sales on Thursday at noon Eastern time through Gilt, which will be offering a special bundle of the Level On and Level Box for $300. Following Gilt, sales will expand to Amazon.com on July 20, Samsung.com on July 21 and select Samsung Experience Shops at Best Buy on July 27.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 102
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Lol...what a joke of a lowlife company !
  • Reply 2 of 102
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Lowlife?   For this?  I bet they sounds better than Beats, and if they cost less, well that's good competition.

• Reply 3 of 102
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

LOL...and they still lose. Samsung, do what you're good at, not whatever others do. 

• Reply 4 of 102
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Those are gorgeous.

That said- Samsung can die
  • Reply 5 of 102
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    ROTFLMAO!!! Scamsung photocopiers strike again by ripping off Beats design of the Studio and Solo series!

Only this time, they'll have Jimmie to deal with, and based on how he's now gone after Chinese knock-off makers, Scamsung will be in for a WORLD of pain!!!

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/45822/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/45823/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 6 of 102
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    magman1979 wrote: »
    ROTFLMAO!!! Scamsung photocopiers strike again by ripping off Beats design of the Studio and Solo series!

Only this time, they'll have Jimmie to deal with, and based on how he's now gone after Chinese knock-off makers, Scamsung will be in for a WORLD of pain!!!

Such blatant thieves.
  • Reply 7 of 102

Apple, please develop a smart umbrella, smart candle, smart floor carpet, smart wine glasses and/or smart toilet paper just to let the world see that Samsung will create a copy of whatever you decide to do! /s

• Reply 8 of 102
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    they're leading by following.
  • Reply 9 of 102
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    When I read about this earlier today I thought it was a new "copycat" product that Samsung brought out after the Apple/Beats deal. I was mistaken. The Level series was introduced back in April, prior to any Beats purchase rumor. The news today was simply that the product will now be available in the US too. My bad.

From an April review:
    [I]"The Level Over is clearly the flagship: big, cushiony over-the-ear cans with a padded headband. I found them very comfortable. The outside faces of the headphones are touchpads; you stroke them to change the volume or pause the music. They pair with other devices by NFC (tap to pair), they have active noise cancellation, and they work in Bluetooth lossless Apt-X or wired modes. The headphones have 30 hours of Bluetooth battery life with noise cancellation off.
    Samsung made a big deal about its 50mm neodymium driver, which it says provides "more natural" sound. The sound was rich, absorbing, and didn't overly play up the bass. My notes include the words "bell-like" and "crystalline." Are these nice headphones? You bet. Price will be very relevant."[/I]
  • Reply 10 of 102
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Oh Sammy, what will you do next?

Wait.....
  • Reply 11 of 102
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Embarassing.
  • Reply 12 of 102
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Ok they look like typical over the ear headphones, except in white. Not sure how they're ripping off Beats...unless the sound quality is crap.
  • Reply 13 of 102
    tastowetastowe Posts: 108member
    Oh good grief samsung. I am not agree with Samsung did. I think the samsung are spying to United States by their samsung smartphone because the North Korea. So I am not to buy samsung products that is final.
  • Reply 14 of 102
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Soon to be sued by Sennhauser and Sony, never mind the blatant rip-off design from Apple Beats.
  • Reply 15 of 102
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member

for innovation sake.. this company must be killed...

• Reply 16 of 102
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member

Apple should start patenting headphone designs...

• Reply 17 of 102
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Withdraw all US troops from South Korea.

• Reply 18 of 102
    deegee48deegee48 Posts: 66member
    They are just friggin' RELENTLESS!
  • Reply 19 of 102
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

probably sound better - not that is saying much.

• Reply 20 of 102
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Ok they look like typical over the ear headphones, except in white. Not sure how they're ripping off Beats...unless the sound quality is crap.

I don't get those comments either. Many headphones look like this. I think it's pretty obvious they are not Beats. These look more generic than Beats. Can't wait to see what Apple does to Beats when they reengineer them, tweak the details and up the quality of materials. I think it was $3B well spent considering the three things they got. 500 Beats Employees. 100 Beats Music employees. Iovine, and Dre? And the go to overear headphone Brand. This gives Apple street cred in this space where fashion means everything. Now quality will match the fashion part while Samsung run around town chasing second place.