Microsoft to ax 18,000 jobs this year, laying off more than 14% of total workforce

Comments

• Reply 81 of 107
    donpedrodonpedro Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey, you’ve made my post for me!

The Tallest Shill in action. What a surprise. Shut up and go away

• Reply 82 of 107
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DonPedro View Post

Tekstud strikes again. Blocked.

• Reply 83 of 107
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by DonPedro View Post

Learn your history, kiddo.

• Reply 84 of 107
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    mrboba1 wrote: »
    But it's still 5500 that weren't from Nokia, which still rivals their biggest layoff ever.

I'd rather see their marketing dept get a big hit than their GUI people. Most of them are following directives, and they don't need to concentrate on marketing their products. They need to make better ones.

I would expect so... I mean, they got around 30,000 Nokia people (somewhere else it was mentioned that number was around 25,000) and axed 12,500 out of that... so they still keep 12 - 17,000 Nokia people. I don't think that there are that many people developing Nokia hardware and firmware, so I'd say they are keeping some other Nokia guys and gals - marketing, HR, logistic, whatnot.

Which means that some of MS staff with same roles are extras. That would make sense to me - I'd rather keep Nokia marketing than MS's own marketing people, simply based on my preference for adds released in a last few years.

Eventually, MS workforce did grow between 6 and 12,000, however you turn it. I really cannot see this the same way as when BB and others cut staff.
  • Reply 85 of 107
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    donpedro wrote: »

Are you really that ignorant. Losing jobs is fun for you I guess. You claim you are using Apple products since II,  so you may remember when Apple was laying off people and kissed M$ a$$ for $150 000 000. Great feeling, don't you agree

I don't just 'claim'. I owned an Apple Dealership so I didn't just use them I had a warehouse full of them. I suspect from your grammar you are not a native English speaker so perhaps you misunderstood me.

To correct your grasp of history, I remember Gates buying into APPL in return for Steve dropping the law suit agaist MS caught red handed reverse engineering Quicktime for their Windows Media Player. It was a mutual win win and good PR.
  • Reply 86 of 107
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

They took on 28,000 new workers when they got Nokia, they reducing18k. In the end the workforce will be 10k higher. No idea how this show doom for Microsoft

• Reply 87 of 107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

They took on 28,000 new workers when they got Nokia, they reducing18k. In the end the workforce will be 10k higher. No idea how this show doom for Microsoft

Why buy 28,000 when you only need 10,000?  Or maybe Nutella being CEO has changed course - in other words, we don't think we can make money in the phone industry like we thought we could (his words). 

• Reply 88 of 107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So that's why Microsoft stock is at a 14 year high right now?

They haven't reached their highs from before the Ballmer era.  In short, under Ballmer Microsoft dropped 33% in the stock market, now it's back up 22%.  Basically, Nutella is cleaning up Ballmer's mess.  Compare that to Apple, who've skyrocketed far past in the same time period.. they're wiping the floor with a company that is just battling to stay even.  That's what my original comment meant, for those that can't see or don't wish to. :D

• Reply 89 of 107
    Please Microsoft before you let go this great workers take a big chunk of the salarie of Ex CEO,
    He make millions is time to take back that salarie for this workes, if he can buy a basket ball team he can save this great workers.
    Came save this workers and left the ex CEO with dimes and Nichols ....
  • Reply 90 of 107
    No more Microsoft , is over welcome to apple
  • Reply 91 of 107
    donpedrodonpedro Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I don't just 'claim'. I owned an Apple Dealership so I didn't just use them I had a warehouse full of them. I suspect from your grammar you are not a native English speaker so perhaps you misunderstood me.

To correct your grasp of history, I remember Gates buying into APPL in return for Steve dropping the law suit agaist MS caught red handed reverse engineering Quicktime for their Windows Media Player. It was a mutual win win and good PR.

You are correct that it was a win win. Here is a quote from the CFO at this time:

"This deal strengthens Apple's viability. It's a new era in terms of Apple and Microsoft working together," said Apple chief financial officer Fred Anderson

So perhaps "kiss a$$" was a bit uncalled for. There were probably some mutual kisses

Anyway, I still find gloating about the misfortune of regular people done in the name of some corporation is not a good style. One has to experience it to understand it. Peace Image result for peace

• Reply 92 of 107
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by charliealebrije View Post

No more Microsoft , is over welcome to apple

It's fun to joke but you defiantly don't want to live in a windowless world.

• Reply 93 of 107
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

It's fun to joke but you defiantly don't want to live in a windowless world.

If we already live in a world without walls, why do you need windows?

• Reply 95 of 107
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

No joke maybe if you be one of the ones getting to be laid off you would not joke about it. No humor here at all.

• Reply 96 of 107
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    marvfox wrote: »
    No joke maybe if you be one of the ones getting to be laid off you would not joke about it. No humor here at all.

Nadella has no real choice in the matter. Correct the past mistakes or the company eventually dies.
  • Reply 97 of 107
    Please Microsoft before you let go this great workers take a big chunk of the salarie of Ex CEO,
    He make millions is time to take back that salarie for this workes, if he can buy a basket ball team he can save this great workers.
    Came save this workers and left the ex CEO with dimes and Nichols ....

^^^This.
    Looks like tastowe created a sock account.
    You're not fooling anyone.
  • Reply 98 of 107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

^^^This.

What's a sock account?

• Reply 99 of 107
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    relic wrote: »
    ^^^This.

What's a sock account?

It's when you create a secondary account and sometimes use it to backup something you said under a different account, like your other account here:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/150212/ios-developers-not-concerned-about-apple-making-a-larger-iphone-screen/40#post_2113701

It's like a sock puppet act or ventriloquist. The other account is still you but you make it look to other people like it's a whole new identity. Anyway, that above account doesn't link up to tastowe, might be someone else though.
  • Reply 100 of 107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's when you create a secondary account and sometimes use it to backup something you said under a different account, like your other account here:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/150212/ios-developers-not-concerned-about-apple-making-a-larger-iphone-screen/40#post_2113701

It's like a sock puppet act or ventriloquist. The other account is still you but you make it look to other people like it's a whole new identity. Anyway, that above account doesn't link up to tastowe, might be someone else though.

That's a bit sociopathic isn't it, wow, people actually do this?