Rumor: Apple's 4.7-inch 'iPhone 6' to enter mass production next week, 5.5-inch model in August

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2014
A report coming out of Asia on Friday claims Apple partner supplier Foxconn is prepping for mass production of a rumored 4.7-inch next-generation iPhone this month, while a larger 5.5-inch model is slated for manufacturing in mid-August.



Without citing sources, Taiwan's Economic Daily News reports production of Apple's anticipated 4.7-inch "iPhone 6" will begin in the third week of July, while a rumored 5.5-inch model is to hit the assembly line in the second week of August.

The publication noted a separate Chinese news service report that said the head of China's Henan Provincial Commerce Department made comments that Hon Hai, better known as Foxconn, is looking to hire some 100,000 workers to cope with expectedly high demand for the upcoming handsets. That figure echoes a previous rumor from June, but today's report adds partner supplier Pegatron is also preparing to hire some 10,000 employees for its part of Apple's order.

Along with the influx of new workers, Foxconn is expected to install automated robots called "Foxbots" on the iPhone 6 assembly line to perform non-critical tasks like locking screws and polishing parts.

Apple is expected to launch both handsets by the end of 2014, though release of the larger 5.5-inch "phablet" version may be delayed due to production difficulties. With Foxconn reportedly starting production nearly one month after the 4.7-inch iPhone, Apple is either looking at a staggered release, or does not expect equal demand the two variations.

Recent rumors have already guessed at a launch date on either Sept. 25 or Sept. 19, though it is unclear if the larger model will be ready in time for simultaneous release.

In a note to investors on Sunday, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said in-cell touch panel technology and color unevenness on the redesigned metal casings posed problems for both models, though issues are more pronounced with the 5.5-inch phablet. In his most conservative forecast, Kuo believes Apple could push back launch of the larger version until 2015.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member

    Ah, August. Now the analysts have an entire two weeks to make up “believable” stories on why the 5.5 isn’t existing at all.

  • Reply 2 of 41
    themacmanthemacman Posts: 151member
    I Don't either. But that's what ANALyst do!
  • Reply 3 of 41
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    They lost me at "100,000" workers. These rumors aren't even fun to read anymore, now they're just silly.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post



    I Don't either. But that's what ANALyst do!



    ANALyst? I like that. Never heard that one before.

  • Reply 5 of 41

    How hard would it be to drive by the FoxConn main gate and see they are hiring 5,000 new employees?  Pretty easy.

  • Reply 6 of 41
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member
    How I want 5.5 model this year, just worried I should wait for the S model with all the kinks worked out. It will canibilize some iPad mini sales but with the higher margins I do not think Apple is going to worry about that too much.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Ah, August. Now the analysts have an entire two weeks to make up “believable” stories on why the 5.5 isn’t existing at all.

    sog35 wrote: »
    I guess Kuo was spewing massive BS

    Aw, come on- these "well informed" analysts have a 100% success rate. Claim everything, blame delays as you notice there aren't leaks, and then you'll eventually be right- or you can just keep saying it's delayed. The moral is- you won't ever be wrong.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    ingela wrote: »
    How I want 5.5 model this year, just worried I should wait for the S model with all the kinks worked out. It will canibilize some iPad mini sales but with the higher margins I do not think Apple is going to worry about that too much.
    Curious what kinks you're speaking of? The 4 had the antenna and the 5S had a software issues (not hardware) with Touch ID. So really, since antenna gate- has there been anything? Particularly on the 5?
  • Reply 9 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    andysol wrote: »
    Curious what kinks you're speaking of? The 4 had the antenna and the 5S had a software issues (not hardware) with Touch ID. So really, since antenna gate- has there been anything? Particularly on the 5?

    Not the 5, but the iPhone 4S used a new baseband that caused the battery to drain very fast on some units (or perhaps just on some network types) until they updated the firmware. That, plus the initial issues with Siri, which were probably the result of too many people testing it opening weekend, caused me to return my iPhone 4S and get back on my iPhone 4. Since the firmware update took so long I ended up not repurchasing the 4S, which was my plan. I purchased the iPhone 5 the weekend it arrived.

    Waiting for the S version will do nothing since the only that is the "same" is the casing and that's really only the outside as even the internal mount points for the casing seem to change radically. Since the seem to like to add the new, nice features to the S version one could argue that the S version is the one to stay away from.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post



    I guess Kuo was spewing massive BS

     

    He still has until August to issue an emergency correction. <img class=" src="http://forums-files.appleinsider.com/images/smilies//lol.gif" />

  • Reply 11 of 41
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,435member
    Thank you 'report out of Asia' for this non-info. What I want to know is when the 4" iPhone will be released. I mean, they [I]are[/I] going to release a new model with all the latest tech in an iPhone with a 4" screen, right? I really can't believe they will only release a 4.7 & 5.5 inch screen iPhone.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post



    Thank you 'report out of Asia' for this non-info. What I want to know is when the 4" iPhone will be released. I mean, they are going to release a new model with all the latest tech in an iPhone with a 4" screen, right? I really can't believe they will only release a 4.7 & 5.5 inch screen iPhone.



    We haven't seen any 4" parts leaks yet.

  • Reply 13 of 41
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,788member

    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post



    ... 100,000 workers to cope with expectedly high demand for the upcoming handsets. That figure echoes a previous rumor from June, but today's report adds partner supplier Pegatron is also preparing to hire some 10,000 employees for its part of Apple's order.



    Along with the influx of new workers, Foxconn is expected to install automated robots called "Foxbots" on the iPhone 6 assembly line to perform non-critical tasks like locking screws and polishing parts. ...

     

    This all reminds me of Fritz Lang's landmark film "Metropolis" (1927).

    Oh, and yes, there's a female "fox" bot in the movie.  Here she is:

     

  • Reply 14 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    We haven't seen any 4" parts leaks yet.

    We haven't seen any parts leaked for an updated iPhone with a 4" display but that may because it's not really interesting news because the parts look too much like the current 4" parts and/or it could be that the people that find this stuff aren't noticing any new 4" components.

    if there really are 4.7" and 5.5" iPhones I have a feeling the 4" will live on A.though I'm not sure if it will get updated components or just be the iPhone 5S, perhaps even in an iPhone 5C casing.

    Personally, the only way I want the 4" to go away is if this larger iPhone is to have about the same total volume (or less) than the current iPhone 4. IOW, I want a larger display I just don't want the bulk that has typically accompanied it. If the new panels with the thinner bezels, smaller chin and forehead, and rumours of a thinner design are accurate I may find a 4.7" model a good fit.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member
    andysol wrote: »
    Curious what kinks you're speaking of? The 4 had the antenna and the 5S had a software issues (not hardware) with Touch ID. So really, since antenna gate- has there been anything? Particularly on the 5?

    Where do I begin. The Phone is getting thinner and thinner and more complex. There have been many items posted on tech sites regarding possible delays do suppliers inability to put the parts out. The battery supposedly so difficult they are using a new vendor. The chip is a!so using a new vendor and a new shrunken process. The screen is also using a new material in sapphire while the LCD display is also using a new thinner process.

    I'm not saying there will be problems, but the possibility is always greater on the brand new version with all the new technologies that go inside it.
    Frankly I will be surprised if there is no glitch of any kind this time out. Ths is going to be one heck of a device.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ingela wrote: »
    Where do I begin. The Phone is getting thinner and thinner and more complex. There have been many items posted on tech sites regarding possible delays do suppliers inability to put the parts out. The battery supposedly so difficult they are using a new vendor. The chip is a!so using a new vendor and a new shrunken process. The screen is also using a new material in sapphire while the LCD display is also using a new thinner process.

    I'm not saying there will be problems, but the possibility is always greater on the brand new version with all the new technologies that go inside it.
    Frankly I will be surprised if there is no glitch of any kind this time out. Ths is going to be one heck of a device.

    Sure, if you want to wait then hold off for a few weeks for the reviews to come in (specifically AnandTech's), but waiting until the S version won't put you in a better position as that will be also be a new iPhone.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Sure, if you want to wait then hold off for a few weeks for the reviews to come in (specifically AnandTech's), but waiting until the S version won't put you in a better position as that will be also be a new iPhone.

    Of course an S puts you in a better position as it is mostly an upgrade. And as far as reviews, that's not what I'm taking about. Glitches are things often missed by reviewers in the rush to get the first reviews out. They are often things not seen until the product is out in the wild in real use by real cash paying customers.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ingela wrote: »
    Of course an S puts you in a better position as it is mostly an upgrade. And as far as reviews, that's not what I'm taking about. Glitches are things often missed by reviewers in the rush to get the first reviews out.

    Don't think because the exterior casing looks the same it's the same internals. It's not like a MBP where the CPU gets a bump. As I previously noted the components mostly changed, the logic board is a complete new design and even the mount points on the inside of the casing are moved.

    With the iPhone 5S we also new HW features that hadn't existed in any other iPhone. It also has higher battery capacity which you only get from a denser battery chemistry or by making more room inside, each of which are clearly HW changes, not just "upgrades" to existing components.

    We've even seen a new Touch ID Home Button component crop up this week. Are you really saying, despite all the evidence, that Apple wouldn't use a new Home Button part in an S version of an iPhone?
    They are often things not seen until the product is out in the wild in real use by real cash paying customers.

    Then buy the last generation model to make sure you avoid those changes pitfalls. You also get to save $100
  • Reply 19 of 41
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 3,971member

    Here you go: 5.5" version without a single part leak...so believable huh? 

  • Reply 20 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Here you go: 5.5" version without a single part leak...so believable huh? 

    Huh? There have been at least a display and casing "leak." There was also word of the battery capacity for the rumoured 5.5" model.
Sign In or Register to comment.