WSJ: Apple preparing 70M to 80M combined iPhone 6 units for biggest launch ever

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    You just need to not be a woman or man under 6’ or anyone who doesn’t like carpenter clothing.

Pretty clear you’ve not put a 6” screen device in your pocket, nor have “those of us” otherwise.
    By most measures I'm a very small person, around 5'5". I can fit the large phones in my suit pockets just fine. Skinny jeans might be an issue, I'll give you that, but I don't wear jeans often. In any case, that's a choice for me to make; it certainly doesn't make the phone unusable.
  • Reply 62 of 82
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

One handed use is not equal to all use.

Never said it was.

A phone is not unusable if it's hard to use with one hand.

Mmm... yeah, that’s sort of the point I’m making, though, given that all phones before Android have been usable with one hand.

Saying it doesn't fit into trouser pockets would also be a lie.

Yep, because “if it fits into one pair of pants, then it fits into all pants, ever”¡ :no:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

...really, they let you do it!

And I’ve done it with multiple styles of pant. And guess what. Never mind that I’m not a woman–the gender with inherently smaller pants pockets (or none whatsoever, for whatever nonsensical reason).

...only 5.7, NOT six inches!

Thanks for the pedantry.

• Reply 63 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Never said it was.

If you say that something is "unusable" when you mean "unusable with one hand" then that's exactly what you're implying.

• Reply 64 of 82

If you say that something is "unusable" when you mean "unusable with one hand" then that's exactly what you're implying.

If an object is unusable in the manner in which all other instances of said object are usable, then it’s unusable.

But at no point did I say that one-handed use is the only use of smartphones.

• Reply 65 of 82

Well if one handed use is not the only use of smartphones, then how is the supposed 4.7 or 5.5 or whatever larger size Phone going to be unusable?

What on earth are you talking about?

• Reply 66 of 82
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I wonder where I was talking about your personal pants... 

So “one-handed” is not an “earthly” way, huh. I guess the last 140 years of telephony have been out of this world! I guess you people want it to come crashing down to Earth, huh.

Two handed operation seems like the norm in telephony.

• Reply 67 of 82
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Two handed operation seems like the norm in telephony.

Decent cherrypicking, but if I was trying to make that point, I wouldn’t have chosen images in which the user shows a lack of comprehension. :p

• Reply 68 of 82

No one has any clue what point you're trying to make any more.

Quote:

To have idiots lie so that they can claim an unusable device is usable? Yeah.

What idiots are lying?

What lies are they telling?

What device is unusable?

Why is it unusable?

If you're not talking about Lorin and I, the "fits in my pockets fine" claim, >5" screen phones, and one-handed use.... well I have no idea what you're talking about.  You've flip flopped all over the place.

• Reply 69 of 82
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Can we just say TS wears skinny jeans and/or has children fingers and Crowley/Loren (I forget who) has Edward Fingerhands and is a marsupial.
  • Reply 70 of 82

I'm happy with that.

Now excuse me, I have to go and throw some poo.

• Reply 71 of 82

No one has any clue what point you're trying to make any more.

’Sup, no one.

If you're not talking about Lorin and I, the "fits in my pockets fine" claim, >5" screen phones, and one-handed use.... well I have no idea what you're talking about.

Reading the posts I write tends to help with comprehension of them.

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Can we just say TS wears skinny jeans...

You could, but you’d be wrong.

Wouldn’t I not be complaining about pocket size if I was a marsupial? ;)

• Reply 72 of 82
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Thanks for the pedantry.

Sorry, was that how it came across? I apologize. I was going for "derisive sarcasm" with the intention being to mock your ridiculous assertion that anyone who disagrees with you must be ignorant (a la "Pretty clear you’ve not put a 6” screen device in your pocket"). I'm thumbing my nose at your arrogance.

• Reply 73 of 82
    Quote:

Wouldn’t I not be complaining about pocket size if I was a marsupial? ;)

<*Sigh.*> Keep up. YOU are skinny jeans. Crowley and I are the marsupials.

I'm not sure I understand how wanting a big phone makes me a kangaroo (I'd have gone with some form of ape, myself), but that's beside the point.

• Reply 74 of 82

I'm not sure I understand how wanting a big phone makes me a kangaroo (I'd have gone with some form of ape, myself), but that's beside the point.

I actually prefer the ‘Edward Fingerhands’ bit. Sounds terrifying.

• Reply 75 of 82
    Quote:

Oh... pocket. Duh. Sometimes I'm so stupid that even I'm amazed I've lived this long.

• Reply 76 of 82
    bobschlob wrote: »

sockrolid wrote: »

Or "Hey, I'm not going to buy a new iPhone until I can try fitting both sizes in my pocket, and then make a decision."

?The pocket size issue will be a deal-breaker for many.
    I'm going to pre-order the 4.7" iPhone "6" for exactly that reason.
    (If the rumors of a 4.7" screen are true.)

I already thought about this. I borrowed a friend's 6" LG Flex for a few minutes and put it in my pocket, walking around and sitting in my car. For me, the size won't be an issue.
    (that's funny) Just goes to show where my head's at:
    Never even occurred to me that anybody could just walk into a Bestbuy, or somewhere, and pick up any "iPhone-like" unit in roughly those sizes, and get a good enough feel for what sized device they would like for their next iPhone.
    Maybe I should do that. (though I feel quite certain I'll be a 4.7)

Not as simple as that. Two phones of identical weight, shape and thickness can still feel different in the hand and the pocket.
  • Reply 77 of 82

Unless you are wearing skinny jeans, a 6" phone fits in the pocket just fine.
    Completely and utterly wrong.

Nope.

(Annoying, isn't it?)

I'm sure you meant to say Yep, as TS is obviously right.
  • Reply 78 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Not as simple as that. Two phones of identical weight, shape and thickness can still feel different in the hand and the pocket.

I guess the difference you've excluded is the exterior material, which might feel different in the hand, but I can't see how it'd feel appreciably different in the pocket, certainly not to the degree that any reasonable person would care.

Or did you mean something else that I've missed?

• Reply 79 of 82
    crowley wrote: »
    I guess the difference you've excluded is the exterior material, which might feel different in the hand, but I can't see how it'd feel appreciably different in the pocket, certainly not to the degree that any reasonable person would care.

Or did you mean something else that I've missed?

Weight distribution.
  • Reply 80 of 82

Fair point, though again, once it's in your pocket I don't think it matters all that much.  Also, do phones really vary all that much in weight distribution?  Most of them that I've come across seem pretty uniform.