Apple hit with class action lawsuit over alleged labor violations, more than 20K plaintiffs involved

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 55
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by FlashFan207 View Post





    "More than" is correct, is it not? "More then" would be a comment on a timeframe, I believe.

    Yes, it is. The original post (which since has been corrected) was "more THEN."

  • Reply 22 of 55
    woodworks wrote: »
    Yes, it is. The original post (which since has been corrected) was "more THEN."
    Ah, that's why. That's sneaky. Thanks for the explanation.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    revenantrevenant Posts: 502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

     

    Oh my GOD.   They had to work 5 straight hours without a meal break.   Oh the humanity!


    lots of crybabies out there.  i used to be a MB mechanic- do you think i could just stop working on a car for thirty minutes every two hours? the only people i know who complain about hours usually show up late, take all their breaks and leave early are the lazy ones, and typically in a union.

    how many waiters/waitresses take a 30 minute every two hours?

     

    but i do feel bad for people working at the apple store. you have to pay for the shirts, wear that super heavy plastic identifier/card holder, lug around a useless heavy iPad/iphone/ipod, pace around a dirty empty store with no a/c in the dark in the most vile conditions with old outdated software and machines littering every table longing to work at a microsoft store.

     

    and most people love to sign up for a class action lawsuit. they get to do nothing and get $50 in the mail.

  • Reply 24 of 55
    I was preparing a longer post but unfortunately it will have to wait. I need a rest break first.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,329member
    Nice to see people attacking the alleged victims. If Apple the alleged perpetrator were not complying with the law then they justifiably should be fined and procedures put in place to stop it happening again.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 219member
    'Victims'. To use the word 'victims' in this context is an insult to those who ARE victims.

    If you're in the middle of a sale, you just can't suddenly leave saying, "sorry it's my break time, can you hang on half an hour, why not play a little solitaire on this wonderful iMac you're trying to purchase?" Or "sorry, it's my break time can you repeat to my colleague here, who will be glad to help you as long as it doesn't cut into her break time too, what you're interested in buying?"

    I can understand strict adherence to break times for those doing manual labour, but for those standing around, talking, often leaning against tables? 'Victim' is NOT the word!
  • Reply 27 of 55
    fred1fred1 Posts: 329member
    woodworks wrote: »
    Well, if we're going to get all pedantic here, the correct usage is: "I don't know who's right...," not "whose." Who's is a contraction of "who is," "whose" implies ownership.

    Yes, of course your right. Oops! I mean you're rite. Oh man . . . !!
  • Reply 28 of 55
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,134member
    It seems none of the above have ever worked retail.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,329member
    pembroke wrote: »
    'Victims'. To use the word 'victims' in this context is an insult to those who ARE victims.

    If you're in the middle of a sale, you just can't suddenly leave saying, "sorry it's my break time, can you hang on half an hour, why not play a little solitaire on this wonderful iMac you're trying to purchase?" Or "sorry, it's my break time can you repeat to my colleague here, who will be glad to help you as long as it doesn't cut into her break time too, what you're interested in buying?"

    I can understand strict adherence to break times for those doing manual labour, but for those standing around, talking, often leaning against tables? 'Victim' is NOT the word!
    So your saying if it's retail. Companies can ignore the labour laws. :what:
  • Reply 30 of 55
    truffoltruffol Posts: 50member
    This case is silly...likely just another act of lawyers hoping to extract a piece of the settlement action from big corporations
  • Reply 31 of 55
    Apple's still got money! Sue them! People who were fired by a company could not possibly have any vindictive motives whatsoever, and I'm sure that all 20,000 people in that state who work for them feel the same way.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by singularity View Post

    Nice to see people attacking the alleged victims.

     

    Because they’re alleged by themselves to be victims.

     

    If Apple... ... were not complying with the law then they justifiably should be fined and procedures put in place to stop it happening again.


     

    And... your point is what? No one has said otherwise.

     

    Originally Posted by singularity View Post

    So your saying if it's retail. Companies can ignore the labour laws. :what:

     

    Has there been a more pathetic strawman as of late?

     

    And no, you can’t reply to me at all. I am a victim, you see, because I say so, and therefore cannot be rebutted¡

  • Reply 33 of 55
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,329member
    <div class="quote-container" data-huddler-embed="/t/181522/apple-hit-with-class-action-lawsuit-over-alleged-labor-violations-more-than-20k-plaintiffs-involved#post_2568053" data-huddler-embed-placeholder="false"><span style="background-color:rgb(241, 241, 241); line-height:1.4em">Originally Posted by </span><strong style="background-color:rgb(241, 241, 241); font-style:normal; line-height:1.4em">singularity</strong><span style="background-color:rgb(241, 241, 241); line-height:1.4em"> </span><a href="/t/181522/apple-hit-with-class-action-lawsuit-over-alleged-labor-violations-more-than-20k-plaintiffs-involved#post_2568053" style="background-color: rgb(241, 241, 241); line-height: 1.4em;"><img alt="View Post" src="/img/forum/go_quote.gif" /></a><div class="quote-block">Nice to see people attacking the alleged victims.</div></div><p> </p><p>Because they’re alleged <em>by themselves</em> to be victims.</p><div class="quote-container"> <div class="quote-block"><div><span style="color:rgb(0, 0, 0)">If Apple... ... were not complying with the law then they justifiably should be fined and procedures put in place to stop it happening again.</span></div></div></div><p> </p><p>And... your point is what? No one has said otherwise.</p><p> </p><div class="quote-container" data-huddler-embed="/t/181522/apple-hit-with-class-action-lawsuit-over-alleged-labor-violations-more-than-20k-plaintiffs-involved#post_2568090" data-huddler-embed-placeholder="false"><span style="background-color:rgb(241, 241, 241); line-height:1.4em">Originally Posted by </span><strong style="background-color:rgb(241, 241, 241); font-style:normal; line-height:1.4em">singularity</strong><span style="background-color:rgb(241, 241, 241); line-height:1.4em"> </span><a href="/t/181522/apple-hit-with-class-action-lawsuit-over-alleged-labor-violations-more-than-20k-plaintiffs-involved#post_2568090" style="background-color: rgb(241, 241, 241); line-height: 1.4em;"><img alt="View Post" src="/img/forum/go_quote.gif" /></a><div class="quote-block">So your saying if it's retail. Companies can ignore the labour laws. :what:</div></div><p> </p><p>Has there been a more pathetic strawman as of late?</p><p> </p><p>And no, you can’t reply to me at all. I am a victim, you see, because I say so, and therefore cannot be rebutted¡</p>
    Lol good reply. Made me chuckle.

    The point I'm making (badly) is whilst a law is on the statue books you have to comply. If any company disregards their legal obligation they deserve to be punished. It doesn't matter if your Apple, Walmart etc. Some of the posters in this thread seem (to me) are takin the opinion that Apple are innocent (of everything) therefore anyone taking legal action are scumbags.

    What this lawsuit will establish is whether Apple are guilty or not (assuming the legal system is fair.... A big assumption I know!).

    I know from experience that what can start out as full compliance can over a period of time slowly falls into non compliance all due to people trying to do the right thing or speed things up. Some companies I've worked for have had to pay out big money because of it (big in this case means $10 million plus).
  • Reply 34 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by singularity View Post

    Some of the posters in this thread seem (to me) are takin the opinion that Apple are innocent (of everything) therefore anyone taking legal action are scumbags.

     

    Hey, Crowley! (or whoever it was I said this to. Maybe the other guy. Or that other guy.) YOU SEE WHAT I MEAN? It is NEVER brought up by ANYONE but the offendee. It is NEVER said by people who take the other side of the argument.

     

    You’re seeing people take Apple’s side because Apple isn’t wrong. The suit is being brought by whiny, lazy bums. Were Apple using slave labor, I can’t imagine anyone taking their side.

  • Reply 35 of 55
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,980member
    Hey, Crowley! (or whoever it was I said this to. Maybe the other guy. Or that other guy.) YOU SEE WHAT I MEAN? It is NEVER brought up by ANYONE but the offendee. It is NEVER said by people who take the other side of the argument.

    You’re seeing people take Apple’s side because Apple isn’t wrong. The suit is being brought by whiny, lazy bums. Were Apple using slave labor, I can’t imagine anyone taking their side.

    Then Apple needs to do a better job hiring because 20,000+ lazy mofos is a lot.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

    Then Apple needs to do a better job hiring because 20,000+ lazy mofos is a lot.

     

    How odd that a system bred on entitlement would generated the entitled...

  • Reply 37 of 55
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,980member
    How odd that a system bred on entitlement would generated the entitled...

    That comes from an entire generation of bad parenting. Fulfilling a child's every desire in the long run is a bad idea.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 381member
    Part of signing off on my reporting of hours has me ascertaining that I took my California state mandated breaks.

    I am sure that some employees have been inconvenienced by finishing up transactions in the retail stores, and some managers are casual about break times. I doubt that there is wide spread abuse of these issues. Personally, working for other companies I was irritated when I was in the middle of something (or almost finished) and was told to take a break to meet labor laws.

    I find it interesting to see the issue of last paychecks as part of the class action - appears to me that the whole suit is more about employees leaving the company trying to maximize their exit package.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 4,603member

    As person who has gone into a number of apple store and have gotten support for them, I can see why they may not get timely breaks. There has been a few time when they were trouble shooting a problem I was in a for a few hours and the person stay with us the entire time or was jumping back and forth between people help them. Now imagine if someone was helping you and they said sorry it is may break and walked away. 

     

    I am glad they stayed until the problem was solve, that is great customer service.

     

    I had this happen to me in a grocery story a few times and I was not happen the cashier just said they were leaving and someone would be there to help because it was their break time.

     

    If these people want timely breaks and stuff go work a union shop and see how well they goes.

     

    It also appears a majority of these people are not longer working for Apple so either they realize it was not the place for them and left which is their right, or the were left go because they did not do what they need to earn their paycheck, either ways they just crybabies

  • Reply 40 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,201member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

     

    As person who has gone into a number of apple store and have gotten support for them, I can see why they may not get timely breaks. There has been a few time when they were trouble shooting a problem I was in a for a few hours and the person stay with us the entire time or was jumping back and forth between people help them. Now imagine if someone was helping you and they said sorry it is may break and walked away. 

     

    I am glad they stayed until the problem was solve, that is great customer service.

     

    I had this happen to me in a grocery story a few times and I was not happen the cashier just said they were leaving and someone would be there to help because it was their break time.

     

    If these people want timely breaks and stuff go work a union shop and see how well they goes.

     

    It also appears a majority of these people are not longer working for Apple so either they realize it was not the place for them and left which is their right, or the were left go because they did not do what they need to earn their paycheck, either ways they just crybabies


     

    Are all of these folks hourly workers or is it a mix of salaried and hourly?

Sign In or Register to comment.