Microsoft uses Apple's Siri to prop up Windows' new 'Cortana' virtual assistant

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    It may see absurd to you in your situation but if you saw my wife driving clients around and being able to get Siri to do research for her, get directions and answer trivia questions clients ask about the area ( like ...'so how many hurricanes have there been here in the last 50 years?') you'd be amazed, especially as it is all hands free through the interface in her Lexus. She can't even comprehend how she managed in the dark ages, pre Siri. Then again, she isn't 'giving her phone verbal commands' so much as enlisting it as an assistant.

Maybe I should try using mine to answer those questions that I always wanted answers too as well, let's see, Cortana, how big is Liam Nesson's penis, wow your right, very helpful.
  • Reply 62 of 86
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    relic wrote: »

Maybe I should try using mine to answer those questions that I always wanted answers too as well, let's see, Cortana, how big is Liam Nesson's penis, wow your right, very helpful.

"I once tried setting my password to penis, but it was too short."
  • Reply 63 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gumbi View Post

The other feature is an improvement on location based reminders - yes, Siri does do those - but, not like Cortana.  For instance, if you were to tell Cortana to remind you to pick up milk next time you were near a Walmart, she will let you not only pick a particular store - but, you can also just say any and then it will pop up no matter what Walmart you are near. 

Interestingly, this function is within iOS. I use a couple of apps that tie into Passbook, and I get notified of deals and have my store card at the ready whenever I am in one of their stores. Walgreen's, for example, had me set a home store, but it had a coupon on my lock screen when I was in another Walgreen's store one day.

If Siri isn't making full use of it yet, it's likely because Apple is still improving the function and doesn't feel it is fully ready for primetime (at least to be system wide rather than just within Passbook, perhaps?) Also, there are a number of things coming in iOS 8 -- such as being able to handoff documents and make calls from the computer and such -- which imply a lot more robust location handling. Should all be interesting!

• Reply 64 of 86
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    ain't it funny?

Lumia is a cheap knockoff of iPhone.

Cortana is named after a character from Halo, a Microsoft exclusive which was created by Steve Jobs and Apple and later purchased from them.
  • Reply 65 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

Cortana is named after a character from Halo, a Microsoft exclusive which was created by Steve Jobs and Apple and later purchased from them.

Ah, wait, hang on. I can’t remember anything from Steve Jobs’ history that had him in charge of Bungie (or associated therewith) at any point. Bungie made games exclusively for the Mac (Marathon, et. al.), and they were purchased by Microsoft (after announcing Halo for Mac OS), but I don’t think Steve had anything to do with it.

Incidentally, the original plan for Halo was for it to be an open world game (that’s how it was announced initially), with the entire bishop ring itself explorable. If you could see it, you could get there.

I WANT THAT GAME. THAT’S A SPECTACULAR IDEA FOR A GAME. I think we have the capability now–both in algorithms and in processing power–for it to happen.

I also wonder how different the last decade would have been in marketshare had Bungie stuck with Apple and Halo had been a Mac exclusive.

• Reply 66 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

ain't it funny?

Lumia is a cheap knockoff of iPhone.

Halo was created by Bungie, Apple nor Steve Jobs had anything to do with its development. Yes, Bungie started out making Mac only games like Marathon and was even producing Halo for the Mac platform before being bought out but in no part of it's development was Apple actually involved. Where did you even get that from and the Nokia Lumia is probably one of the few phone lines on the market that is nothing like an iPhone down to the OS it runs. Cheap knock off, have you ever used one, the things are built like tanks.

• Reply 67 of 86

Aaaaahhhh you beat me by 5 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, wait, hang on. I can’t remember anything from Steve Jobs’ history that had him in charge of Bungie (or associated therewith) at any point. Bungie made games exclusively for the Mac (Marathon, et. al.), and they were purchased by Microsoft (after announcing Halo for Mac OS), but I don’t think Steve had anything to do with it.

Incidentally, the original plan for Halo was for it to be an open world game (that’s how it was announced initially), with the entire bishop ring itself explorable. If you could see it, you could get there.

I WANT THAT GAME. THAT’S A SPECTACULAR IDEA FOR A GAME. I think we have the capability now–both in algorithms and in processing power–for it to happen.

I also wonder how different the last decade would have been in marketshare had Bungie stuck with Apple and Halo had been a Mac exclusive.

aaaaaahhhhh you beat me by 5 seconds.

• Reply 68 of 86
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    boredumb wrote: »
    …and if you squint a little, I think you can see her Home Button.

That's more like a 'proximity sensor'. ;)
  • Reply 69 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That's more like a 'proximity sensor'. image

Is that the modern solution to a Chasity-belt.

• Reply 70 of 86
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    relic wrote: »

At the very least the futuristic version.
  • Reply 71 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That's more like a 'proximity sensor'. image

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

It’s more a security feature. GlansID makes sure that not just anyone can...

All right; enough of that.

• Reply 72 of 86
    jkichline wrote: »
    Or, you know... maybe you should just remember your freaking Anniversary like a real man. Who needs to be reminded? Polygamists?

Exactly. And who is this man, that he needs to be reminded about his Anniversary the next time he talks to his wife? So he's obviously remembered the date, it's the Anniversary Day, he's lying next to his wife, yet he's worried he's going to forget about it in the next few minutes? Sounds as though he can't even remember his own name!
  • Reply 73 of 86
    crowley wrote: »
    Please.  It's bad enough that Microsoft sexed up a hologram in a video game, don't justify their bad taste with juvenile sniggering.

Come now. If I had your attitude, I would call myself an inexecrable, senseless-obstinate, potato finger.
  • Reply 74 of 86
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    jkichline wrote: »
    I just had Siri set a reminder to tell my wife Happy Anniversary tomorrow. Worked perfectly. Not sure what Microsoft is smoking. Must have Balmer trying to speak into it... Siri only understands human, not monkey.

They are talking about conditional reminder. It will not remind you at specified time, but when phone detects that you are talking with person you have set reminder for... which might happen at any time between now and somewhere in future.

I can think of few scenarios where this can be useful, but in general it is hardly make-it-or-break-it feature. However it is always nice to see that digital assistants are getting smarter in what they can understand and process. I don't expect that Siri and Google Now will remain locked with current features, too.
  • Reply 75 of 86
    I would like Siri to be this intelligent.

I use OmniFocus everyday and with that I can set locations to trigger, or a search for a "grocer" for example and then set the resolutions and whether arriving or leaving. Clearly iOS supports it, but Siri can't.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time but given that Apple can add extra features to Siri for things like this they have been a bit slow off the Mark in my opinion.
  • Reply 76 of 86
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Come now. If I had your attitude, I would call myself an inexecrable, senseless-obstinate, potato finger.

Thanks for raising the tone.  I'm not really sure how inexecrable can apply to a person, or what senseless-obstinate means when conjoined like that*, but I'll take potato finger as a compliment, since I love chips.

* obstinate about senselessness? That doesn't sound too bad

• Reply 77 of 86
    crowley wrote: »
    Thanks for raising the tone.

Not at all. I'm always happy to raise the tone.
  • Reply 78 of 86
    It’s more a security feature. GlansID makes sure that not just anyone can...

All right; enough of that.

hehehe dirty little boy…...
  • Reply 79 of 86

Tone deaf huh, what a shame.
  • Reply 80 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Tone deaf huh, what a shame.

I was being facetious. Consider my ears boxed. ????