Microsoft uses Apple's Siri to prop up Windows' new 'Cortana' virtual assistant

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 86
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I was being facetious. Consider my ears boxed. ????

Me too, why so serious, WHY SO SERIOUS!!! - The Joker

• Reply 82 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I was being facetious. Consider my ears boxed. ????

Me too, why so serious, WHY SO SERIOUS!!! - The Joker

Edit: deleted my feeble joke.

Hope you're doing ok, Relic.

• Reply 83 of 86
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Edit: deleted my feeble joke.

Hope you're doing ok, Relic.

I'm okay, all the kids around me are helping me keep in good spirits. I'm playing with my husband's new toy right now, it arrived for me a few hours ago, I bought him a Porsche design P'9982 BlackBerry. I know none of you guys would appreciate such things but this thing is gorgeous. Everything inside out out has been designed with elegance in mind. I've seen and owned many luxury phones but the P'9982 defiantly takes the crown. I wouldn't mind one myself but if I'm going to buy a BlackBerry it has to have a keyboard or what is the point.

I opened the box because I wanted to update it and check out OS 10.3 if it's indeed something I could live with before pulling the trigger on a Passport. Yep, it's cool, I have no idea why more people aren't buying these things. This OS is bitchin, head over tales better then Android, Windows Mobile and in a lot of cases even iOS. The app store has most of the apps that I want but for the ones not available, the Android alternatives install and work just fine, most of them take on the Blackberries fonts so it looks like a native app, I thought for sure there would be some lag, nope.

It incredibly smooth, almost as good as iOS. The BlackBerry Hub is fantastic, there is no need for a dedicated FaceBook or Twitter app, this is more then enough. Email, simply the best, you can even attach files from any of your cloud storage as long as it's mounted in the file manager. File manager, friggen insane, not only does it support cloud storage, local and NAS but FTP as well. Media player, supports pretty much every CODEC and like the email as long as the file your playing is mounted in the file manager you can play it, I've been sitting here watching my Ren and Stimpy collection from my OneDrive. Multitasking, iOS doesn't hold a candle to it, what, how dare you, well have you ever seen a mobile phone stream a movie from OneDrive to a DLNA source, listen to music through a Bluetooth speaker with Spotify, play Need For Speed on a HDMI connected projector with a Bluetooth gamepad all the while downloading a 300mb file through the internet browser, no, yeah, me neither, I have never seen anything like it before. Oh yeah it has a built in HDMI out which is another feature phones just don't have, yay, no stupid dongle and it supports 1080p for everything, not just apps that support it.

The OS is very gesture heavy, it takes time to get used to but when you do it's great, super easy to check on the progress of a download for instance without ever taking your finger off of the screen. Sending a file from the file manager doesn't mean you have to start-up the email client, you can do it within the app itself.

Remote Desktop, I connected my keyboard and mouse via Bluetooth and phone to the beamer again via HDMI. Started the remote desktop app and logged into my Linux box at home, clicked full screen. If you didn't know that you were using a phone there wouldn't have been a way to tell. The BlackBerry OS also works on a monitor just fine, using Polaris Office, playing Angry Birds, whatever, you could use it as a desktop OS if you so desired, everything is big of course and it looks ridiculous but for games it's defiantly a good feature.

So it's a fantastic phone with a great OS, call me impressed and I will defiantly buy a Passport now. Unfortunately BlackBerry took so long to release version 10.3 as I don't believe for a second that even with this fantastic OS they have a prayer in getting back to their fomer glory. That being said though, boy are they fighting back, OS 10.3 is my new favorite mobile OS. The multitasking alone just blows away the competition. Want to use YouTube to hear music but still want to continue on with using your phone, no problem. Don't want to watch a cut screen in a game and it won't let you skip it, no problem do something else while it's playing. Notifications and quick-actions are more intuitive as well as customizable, don't need the flashlight, no problem just remove it. Blackberry keyboard is great,the Hub is great, surfing is fast, has built in Flash and even plays DIVX and other .avi within the browser, email is just the best, messaging is just the best. I can't wait for the Passport, it's going to be a killer product, keep it up guys, I'm pulling for you.
  • Reply 84 of 86
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    relic wrote: »
    Porsche design P'9982 BlackBerry.

I love your enthusiasm here! Boy I would love to see you review this phone on YouTube!
  • Reply 85 of 86

Relic - you're living proof that it's possible to enjoy technology from all sorts of companies and also be witty and good. Even though you're often cynical about Apple, I love your enthusiasm for cool stuff. Some of the most fun I have is using GarageBand on the Mac connected to an M-Audio keyboard and blasting through the synths on Arpegiattor. From the sounds you're making, the Porsche has a lot going for it. I'm sure that there are lots of good things to be found in lots of gadgets from different companies; but for those of us who only choose one phone, one tablet and one desktop or laptop, Apple wins out as the best all-rounder. 

It's very rare for Apple to take pot shots at their competitors. Tim Cook stood out for his 'toxic hell stew' quote at WWDC, but generally they don't slag off their peers. Whereas Blackberry, I'm afraid, have done - remember 'Amateur Hour is over' and their reaction to the iPhone? It's a shame, because if they hadn't, I don't think there would be the same animosity towards them; ditto Samsung and Google, who have also gone out of their way to belittle or denigrate Apple, albeit far more than Blackberry. I guess the 'I'm a Mac, I'm a PC' was Apple having a jab, but even then, it was in very good humour, and it wasn't to a particular company. And some would say that the PC guy was more likeable than the Mac guy. 

• Reply 86 of 86
    ajh89ajh89 Posts: 1member
    iPhone 6[B][/B]