Apple refreshes MacBook Pro with Retina display lineup with faster CPUs, more RAM standard

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So is this update a stop gap until we get new machines this fall or will we not see Broadwell machines until 2015? Perhaps because this update was pretty minor (no graphics updates for instance) it signals the former?

This is exactly what I'm worried about; I've been waiting for an upgrade since the start of the year, so I'm kind of eager to jump on this, but I'm willing to wait a couple of months if something new comes out with Yosemite. With Apple's usual pattern of upgrades, though, I would be surprised if they put out a new configuration for only 3 months.

• Reply 22 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

....I still get a client ranting at me at least once a month because Apple pulled the battery stupidity.  The road warriors NEED to be able to carry more battery than will fit inside, and not only did Apple screw the pooch on that, they illegally threatened the external battery manufacturers with a patent violation lawsuit when they were actually buying Apple power supplies and cutting the cords in half to build the adapters.  Guess what?  You can't violate a patent if you're buying the patented component.  But they were a small company, and Apple's threat was enough to destroy those perfectly legal batteries.

I use one like this on a boat - for both a MBa, and a MBr, its worked really well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0042QNFDM/ref=dp_olp_all_ro?ie=UTF8&condition=all

• Reply 23 of 77
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    mr. h wrote: »
    I was hoping that Apple would use the revision to revisit their UK prices, but alas they have not. Apple’s pre-tax price of the entry-level 15” model is equivalent to $2265, and our high sales tax of 20% takes the final price to $2718.

Of course Apple can’t do anything about the tax, but a premium of $265 over the US price is not justifiable. I have defended Apple in the past, as it does cost more to do business here and some price premium is to be expected, but this is too much. It is cheaper for me to fly to the US, buy a MBP, and fly back again. Surely this can’t be right?

Just move to the States, that was my solution to the better pricing here (on everything). :D
  • Reply 24 of 77
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    darkvader wrote: »

No, Tim Cook isn't listening.  Steve's Reality Distortion Field is still too strong with him.

Maybe the next CEO will bring Apple back to reality on what people actually need in a professional laptop - or perhaps Apple will be too far gone by then.  They're already destroying their professional software market, Final Cut Amateur X isn't an acceptable product compared to Final Cut Pro, and they've killed Aperture completely.  They no longer make a real Pro desktop, they no longer make a real Pro laptop, and they no longer make a server.

I can fix the server and Pro desktop by building Hackintoshes for myself, but I can't sell that to clients.  But that's not a good solution for laptops, and does nothing for the software situation.

My next laptop is going to be a used MBP 2012 15" with 16GB RAM and a 1TB hybrid drive.  I have no idea what I'll do after that, I really hope Apple sees fit to release a professional laptop.

Re FCP ... Oh come on, most of what you say is old news and not even true now. Just try editing 4K video on Final Cut Pro 7! Any pro video system has to be able to edit the format de jour.

BTW, My 2 cents, forget the hybrid and go for the largest SSD you can. You can also rip out the optical and use externally and add a second SSD. Works like a treat.
  • Reply 25 of 77
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

And yet they can't bother to put the slower Haswell CPUs into the mini...  :no:

• Reply 26 of 77
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Shame they didn't upgrade the DGPU, too. It's not like the 750M is still top of the line.
  • Reply 27 of 77
    Oh, how I wish I could buy a 17". Will they ever bring back a 17" version? Are they able to make a 17" laptop with a retina screen if they want? Using a 15" (despite a retina display) feels too cramped for me. So, I use an iMac, but alas, I can't pick it up and use it on the sofa, or take it out with me. I guess it's just wishful thinking.
  • Reply 28 of 77

The Apple Store for Canada now shows the two 15" models at CAD$2099 and $2699. They were $2049 and $2649 yesterday. I was annoyed at the apparent $50 increase until I did the conversion to USD. I guess the Canadian dollar must have tanked again, because even at the new prices they both still come in at less than US prices after currency conversion: USD$1936 and $2489.

• Reply 29 of 77
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I was hoping that Apple would use the revision to revisit their UK prices, but alas they have not.

Given the recent changes in the exchange rate the impact of a revisit would likely be in the opposite direction to what you want.

• Reply 30 of 77
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    Oh, how I wish I could buy a 17". Will they ever bring back a 17" version? Are they able to make a 17" laptop with a retina screen if they want? Using a 15" (despite a retina display) feels too cramped for me. So, I use an iMac, but alas, I can't pick it up and use it on the sofa, or take it out with me. I guess it's just wishful thinking.

I guess it'd 15" and a display for me.
  • Reply 31 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

Because it's the only real MacBook Pro left?  

Take your FUD and shove it.

I wish they still sold a 15" MacBook Pro.  There is NO current laptop in Apple's lineup that actually fits what I need, and what several of my clients need - an actual professional machine, one with an optical drive, upgradeable RAM, upgradeable hard drive, FireWire, and an antiglare screen.

Sounds like you need to quit whining and buy a piece of crap from someone else. You don’t comprehend how things have changed in the last SEVENTEEN YEARS, so enjoy working in the past.

...they illegally threatened...

Completely and utterly wrong.

Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

This is exactly what I'm worried about; I've been waiting for an upgrade since the start of the year, so I'm kind of eager to jump on this, but I'm willing to wait a couple of months if something new comes out with Yosemite. With Apple's usual pattern of upgrades, though, I would be surprised if they put out a new configuration for only 3 months.

OF COURSE NOTHING NEW IS COMING OUT.

• Reply 32 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

OF COURSE NOTHING NEW IS COMING OUT.

That's basically what I said - while I might worry about it happening, I wouldn't think it actually will. Don't a lot of people worry about upgrading at the wrong time? There's no need to yell, just because you're upset with Vader.

• Reply 33 of 77
    seqteqseqteq Posts: 4member

I'ld love to come back to Mac, but I need 32 GB. Come on Apple!

• Reply 34 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Don't a lot of people worry about upgrading at the wrong time?

Only if they’re paying no attention whatsoever. You’re whining about an update ON THE DAY OF AN UPDATE.

There's no need to yell, just because you're upset with Vader.

No, I’m upset with you.

• Reply 35 of 77
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    seqteq wrote: »

They can't offer 32GB until DDR4. They have room for 16 soldered RAM chips so they need 16 gigabit chips. DDR4 comes with Broadwell. I'd be surprised if they offered it as an option though, that upgrade will appeal to a very small amount of users. It'll be expensive for one thing, I'd guess at least $500. 24GB might be doable for $200-300. No use complaining about it now though, might as well wait until May/June next year at which point switch the need to 64GB just to keep them on their toes.
  • Reply 36 of 77
    Yarg! I just purchased a new 15" MacBook Pro a couple of weeks ago. Drives me nuts that I had the latest and greatest for two weeks......ugh.
  • Reply 37 of 77
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Anyword on a new MacBook Air with Retina display?
  • Reply 38 of 77
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    seqteq wrote: »

Wow, what do you do? 16GB really is enough for most things even video editing.
  • Reply 39 of 77

I just purchased a new 15" MacBook Pro two weeks ago.  UGH!!

• Reply 40 of 77
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    relic wrote: »
    Wow, what do you do? 16GB really is enough for most things even video editing.

Think Solid Modeling, Engineering Simulations, etc.