U.S. government may ban in-flight cellphone calls, airlines voice disapproval

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74

Maybe this is different then having wifi in the plane, but couldn't this be implemented with ios 8 and wifi calling ? I hardly fly on a plane that offers wifi, but I concur I would not want to be on a planee where everyone is yacking, but I'm sure some business people would like it, versus emailing for that 4+ hour flight.

• Reply 62 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

I actually am surprised when I see people on airliners that aren't wearing noise cancelling headphones.

Especially on smaller planes, but they still offer earplugs.

• Reply 63 of 74
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

I find it bizarre that this thread is all about having to listen to people talk on the phone.  You (not you, thompr, the general you) realize that 99% of what people use their cell phones for is for internet access, right?  This issue isn't about whether people can talk on the phone, it's whether they can use their phones as they normally use them--as internet devices.

How do you figure?  The article is specifically about making cellphone "calls".  The internet access is completely separate from this discussion.  Different regulations, different issues - most of which appear to be resolving favorably.  So I find it bizarre that you find it bizarre that a discussion about cellphone calls has erupted in response to an article debating whether people should be allowed to make cellphone calls!

The headline clearly states that the government "...may ban in-flight cellphone calls"

There is no mention of them banning device use, or device use on the internet.  So why would you assume that *that* is what people should be discussing or that it's bizarre that they're discussing the issue focused on in the article???

• Reply 64 of 74
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

As someone pointed out, with today's cell phones you are unable to get reception at cruising altitude. So what does the government need to ban the use of cell phones, they are useless except for the things you can do on them without have cell service. This is more about the government claiming they fixing some sort of problem that exists. Most likely they got complaints about people using phones during take off an landing. 

Also there are some international flights which offer Satellite Link to connect you phone too at costs and very few people are willing to pay for this. So you have to ask yourself what is the government trying to accomplish with this new rule if it every comes into play.

• Reply 65 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grblade View Post

FAA says cell phones could technically be safely used, but DOT says no one wants to be forced to listen to your neighbor talking for 5 hours. I approve. Thank you, DOT.

Can you imagine how many times you'd have to hear, "Hey! Guess where I'm calling from!"?

Yes.

• Reply 66 of 74

They say that the reason people on phones are so annoying is because you can only hear half the conversation. So, to that effect, I propose that phone calls be allowed on planes, but only on speakerphone. That way, the other passengers get to hear all the conversation, thereby mitigating the annoyance. The exception to this rule is if the plane is about to crash, in which case non-speakerphone mode is allowed.

• Reply 67 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Surprised. I had thought the airlines themselves were opposed to allowance of cell calls in flight. The number of customers a carrier would lose (maybe aside from smaller business commuter flights) would be staggering.

First time I board a flight where they allow people to yack on their cells, is the last time I ever fly that airline. And I'm not anywhere near alone.

Do you know someone called Discom by any chance? Catch ulate-r.

• Reply 68 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluestone View Post

The government should ban all cell phone calls if anybody else is within 50 feet.

Try 50 miles.

• Reply 69 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeiP5 View Post

It's should be a Crariers decision but they should teach people to not shout when on a phone call.

I picture an elderly librarian type with a sound level meter and a large ruler at the ready to hit you in the back of the kneck every time your voice reaches a certain octave. No! Wham! Sssshhhhhhhh!

Once, when I was moving house, I had bought a mobile phone but wasn't used to it, so tended to talk too loudly on it in public. I remember having a stressful conversation on a train carriage in a loud, excited voice; the visible annoyance from the passengers was palpable. It brings a smile to my face when I think about it.

• Reply 70 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

The issue has nothing to do with safety…

The heck it don't! Just wait for the fights to break out. If you think it will be bad enough with inconsiderate callers, wait until alcohol gets tossed into the mix. Flying for hours with strangers in the sardine-can environment of economy class is bad enough, but OMG there are so many people out there who really don't give a damn about anybody else. Allowing unrestricted phone calls on flights is such a bad idea on so many levels and at any altitude. I am so much against this I hope the airlines go so far as to actively block all cell phone signals from take-off to landing.

Indeed. And anyone who knees you in the back of your seat should get electric shocks for the remainder of the journey.

• Reply 71 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Given the vehemence of your comment, however, I have to wonder if you might be among the first to instigate one of those brawls you decry ... Hmmm? image

You're right. Long day (night?). I need to lighten up.

But just imagine the cabin crew trying to serve meals and drinks while being ignored by people busy talking on their phones. Imagine trying to get out of your window seat and having to disturb someone on the phone who gives you one of those "looks" when you want to get to the WC. Imagine waiting at the WC door while hearing the person in the WC is talking on the phone, and the next person behind you is also talking on the phone.

Exaggerated perhaps, but from my last transatlantic flight I still have the nightmare image of everyone around me pulling out their phones and calling just as the plane stopped while at the same time trying to get their carry-on stuff out of the overhead bins. Pure chaos.

Just travel by private jet. Problem solved.

• Reply 72 of 74
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

As someone pointed out, with today's cell phones you are unable to get reception at cruising altitude.

So let's not bother thinking about the future when creating rules/policies.  During taxi, take-off and landing you're within range - even today!  And what about the calls that can be made with FaceTime Audio, Skype and other VoIP programs?

I don't think it should be the government that mandates this.  But I definitely think it should be mandated!  (by the airlines)  And I don't think the issue should be ignored because a cellular call is probably not possible at cruising altitude today.

• Reply 73 of 74

If there is no technological or safety reason for not allowing people to talk on cell phones (or talk over IP apps using wifi) then I'd say the government has no place to regulate this as it would be a 1st amendment issue. The airlines could enforce it in their ticket terms as part of a private transaction, but the government can't be in the position of regulating when you can or can't talk simply because it may be "rude.'

• Reply 74 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

As someone pointed out, with today's cell phones you are unable to get reception at cruising altitude. So what does the government need to ban the use of cell phones, they are useless except for the things you can do on them without have cell service. This is more about the government claiming they fixing some sort of problem that exists. Most likely they got complaints about people using phones during take off an landing. 

Also there are some international flights which offer Satellite Link to connect you phone too at costs and very few people are willing to pay for this. So you have to ask yourself what is the government trying to accomplish with this new rule if it every comes into play.

Because if it is a allowed the airlines can decide to put a cellular repeater in the plane to push calls out over the plane's internet connection. Also companies like T-Mobile and others soon to follow are offering Wifi calling - not to mention the hundreds of voice and video over IP services like Skype and FaceTime.