Apple to hold 'iPhone 6' media event on Sept. 9 - report

123468

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 157
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    One good candidate for rollout iOS change would be to HomeKit -- to allow an AppleTV or Mac to be the local controller -- instead of relying on the iPhone. But this could be easily handled under the covers -- or by opening the kimono to a few HomeKit developers under NDA.

    I could be mistaken but I believe the latest iOS 8 beta for AppleTV did include HomeKit (not certain exactly what functionality though).
  • Reply 102 of 157
    One good candidate for rollout iOS change would be to HomeKit -- to allow an AppleTV or Mac to be the local controller -- instead of relying on the iPhone. But this could be easily handled under the covers -- or by opening the kimono to a few HomeKit developers under NDA.

    I could be mistaken but I believe the latest iOS 8 beta for AppleTV did include HomeKit (not certain exactly what functionality though).

    I think that allows the AppleTV to be a controlled accessory -- as oppposed to having what I want, the AppleTV as a home controller.


    Unfortunately, I can't test any of this -- my latest Mac doesn't support BLE so I can't control anything with the simulator tool. I bought a BLE dongle -- no luck!
  • Reply 103 of 157
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cali View Post



    The info he gave me should be obvious to you guys and I'm NOT gonna say what he told me. not gonna cause this guys job. But it's basically the obvious with a finer detail.

    Was there a '5' in the conversation?

  • Reply 104 of 157
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Shows-What-Uno View Post

     



    I won't necessary update to latest OS but understand your point. The main issue is touch wiz, Plus in two minds as to 5.5 or 4.7 having seen how BIG the 5.5" is to the note 3 i said no. hopefully is a bit smaller. Then me and Apple could do business. 


     

    No, the main issue with a Note is you're buying a device with last-years 32bit processor which will be obsolete in less than a year when 64bit Android devices FINALLY start shipping.

     

    Who in their right mind would spend that much money on old technology?

  • Reply 105 of 157
    fuzzypawsfuzzypaws Posts: 111member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post



    4.7" this 5.5" that....where's my 4" iPhone?

     

    Being that Apple already makes a 4" phone, they could very well release a new 4" model alongside the 4.7" and 5.5" without the parts for it seeming extraordinary enough to "break cover" and be leaked.

  • Reply 106 of 157
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

    What's your point? 

     

    That we don’t have a clue what will be added to the software because of the new hardware.

     

    Originally Posted by Shows-What-Uno View Post

    Apple holds back of leading the hardware due to margins


     

    Apple holds back nothing in hardware. The iPhone is always the fastest on the market when released.

     

    I don't even get a 1080p screen in 2014 with Apple iPhone



     

    And if you knew anything about screens, or were actually “up to date on the tech side”, you wouldn’t be complaining about this.

     

    FYI i'm up to date on whats going on... 


     

    Again, no, you’re not.

     

    Originally Posted by Shows-What-Uno View Post

    I have many Apple products. 

     

    No one cares. This isn’t an argument.

  • Reply 107 of 157

    True that there haven't been any leaks of components that can be linked to a 5.5" phone and so it's not likely that it will come to pass but that doesn't actual stop me from wanting one. I like iOS and I'll get the next iPhone b/c of that but I do wish there was a 5.5" option. I have a large frame so it would work for me. That said, it's incredible how much of a religion one handed use and small screen size have become around here. Get over yourselves. People have different sized hands and different needs. Apple will release whatever they deem necessary. If they feel like making a phablet would make them enough profit to be worth their while then they will, and not then they will not. That doesn't mean there isn't a market for them. Just means that Apple plays the big numbers game. For the record, the reason Samsung became #2 with smart phones is because they made the larger phones and I know quite a few people who got the Note specifically for the screen (because they don't want to have a phone and a tablet with them at all times). That said, Samsung has had shitty sales as of late b/c they're a shitty company that makes shitty quality phones. That's quality, not screen size. I have purposefully held off from Samsung b/c I like Apple quality, but if they release a 5.5" I'd pay a premium for it without thinking twice and I know I'm far from being the only one. So you morons don't need to police the forums with chests puffed out acting like you know better than everyone else. Some people love iOS but want a phablet-sized phone... so just deal with it. 

  • Reply 108 of 157
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    According to Kara Swisher on Twitter this announcement date isn't a claim/rumor and recode is working on getting the release date.
  • Reply 109 of 157
    sog35 wrote: »
    so you grumble about iOS and decide TouchWiz is your savior?

    Good luck with that.

    C'mon. It's a textbook concern troll post. "I love Apple but..."
  • Reply 110 of 157
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,283member
    mstone wrote: »
    If the iPhone 6 uses a liquid metal case as some of the leaked photos suggest, perhaps there is no aluminum being polished by Foxconn for Apple, hence no delay.

    That's an excellent point.
  • Reply 111 of 157
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snax007 View Post

    I love Apple's hardware (current iPhone and iPad owner) but iOS is seriously lacking behind and the company seems unable to fix age old issues, add much requested features and innovate like they used to do. iOS7 was a gimicky step back, unstable and several system apps were gimped by crappy design decisions. Keeping my iPad Air but seriously considering switching to a Android phone like Xperia Z2.

     

    Strange that you don't like iOS7 and say it is troublesome, yet I love it on my oldie iPhone4. I missed iOS6, going directly from iOS5 to iOS7. Yes, just occasionally iOS7 is a bit slow, but many other user interface improvements more than make up for that. I'll admit to one problem only; the App Store App is extremely slow starting an App download. I suspect a bug is causing this.

    As for Android, ugh I'm too private to use a spyware phone.
  • Reply 112 of 157
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm interested in hearing about the new display technology in this phone. Since several people here have claimed display tech not being ready is the reason we didn't get a larger screen phone before 2014. I'm going to assume then that the iPhone 6 will have the best display on the market.

    Come off it. Apple will use the best display they can get 35 million of per quarter that matches what the processor and battery can handle, and what doesn't drive the developers crazy. Balance, compromises, different "packages of emphasis" (Steve Jobs) for each device.

    Other companies have other choices. Samsung owns the most advanced OLED display fabs in the world, unless LG has caught up, and no way is Apple buying into that technology for phones, even if Samsung or LG could supply them, which they couldn't. HTC can offer an LTPS display with a pixel density of 400 plus or whatever, because they will only need a few million of them. And so on.

    But by all means, set yourself up for something to whine about later. The honest Apple watcher knows only that the displays will be larger and improved and in good supply. There was not enough LTPS production to supply their needs until this year, that's all we know.
  • Reply 113 of 157
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post



    There's no credible evidence a 5.5" is coming.

    No concern here for the 5.x iPhone. My hope is that the 4.7 isn't too clumsy after 3.5 years using my 3.5" iPhone4 .

     

    But I'm concerned enough that I started looking on CL for a top condition Unlocked iPhone5. Very interesting price variations!

  • Reply 114 of 157
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,416member

    September used to seem so far away, but just a few more weeks to go. The 4S has been good to me but I'm more than ready to pull the trigger on a new iPhone. The wait is nearly over.

  • Reply 115 of 157
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

    September used to seem so far away, but just a few more weeks to go.

     

    I was wondering why I was falling back deeper into despair. Time sure flies when you can’t remember any of it.

  • Reply 116 of 157
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Guaranteed to kill the iPad mini. Oh well- it happens.
  • Reply 117 of 157
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

    Guaranteed to kill the iPad mini. Oh well- it happens.



    Ooh! I’m fine with that. I’d even buy one just to kill it.

     

    So many uses for a remote-ish-not-head-designed-size device. A 5.5” iPod touch could be the control system for an intelligent home’s appliances (and remote for Apple TV).

     

    Not a smart home. An intelligent home. Oh, no; better yet: a wise home. All this “smart [product]” nonsense is really just idiocy. Apple’s implementations of automation and integration are more wise than smart. It’s not about how much they can do, but how they apply what they can do.

  • Reply 118 of 157
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    fuzzypaws wrote: »
    Being that Apple already makes a 4" phone, they could very well release a new 4" model alongside the 4.7" and 5.5" without the parts for it seeming extraordinary enough to "break cover" and be leaked.

    Excellent point, and that's exactly what I'm hoping for.
  • Reply 119 of 157
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Guaranteed to kill the iPad mini. Oh well- it happens.

    Not for me, a 5.5 is far too small for my tablet use, yet a bit too large for a one handed phone.
    The iPad mini is the tablet for me, it's on my buy list to replace my POS BB PB. (Sorry BB!)
  • Reply 120 of 157

    Time to get my tent and wait in line... Anyone know What will expect Iphone 6 Price In pakistan and India?

Sign In or Register to comment.