Rumor: 'iPhone 6' to feature 2100mAh battery, 46% increase from iPhone 5s

Comments

• Reply 21 of 103
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    scartart wrote: »
    Certainly larger screen sizes don't use up all additional battery power, one reason why large screen Android phones are much better than the iPhone in terms of battery life.

I thought Android phones had better battery life because their users don't actually DO anything with them.
  • Reply 22 of 103
    Good. Because according to Samsung ads, dorky iPhone users are wall huggers who look at cool Samsung Galaxy S5 users with jealous envy at the airport. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 23 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Dont fool yourself . Apple pays millions to figure out what the optimal battery life vs weight ratio should be for the majority of there target market. Just because you have special 'needs' does not mean the rest of us have to suffer with a heavy phone.

I'm not saying you're wrong or that I disagree, but there IS another possibility: Maybe Apple carefully researches just how far they can compromise battery life before people refuse to buy them.

When visiting a store to buy a new phone, a buyer will immediately notice that one device is thinner and lighter than another. That has an instantaneous psychological effect. A few may pour over battery life comparisons, but most won't and even those that do may be swayed by the siren song of a sexier, cooler looking and feeling device.

Apple's in business to sell stuff. It's not hard to imagine that they might ignore even a fairly large cry for longer battery life if their research shows that it's not a significant influence on the choice to buy or not. They won't compromise it to the point that it has a serious adverse affect on the ownership experience for most people, but they may not make increasing it as high a priority as making the phone thin and light.

• Reply 24 of 103
    Quote:

For the last time:

Buy a battery case.  Most people don't need 12 hours of heavy use.  Most people like the thin and sleek look.  For the 1% like you go buy a battery case so the rest of us can enjoy our thin phone.

Who do you think you are? I can't believe how arrogant and self-important you are. I'm TELLING you what *I* would prefer. I have battery cases. I've actually had battery cases since my first iPhone. Mophie, Tylt, brand-X, dozens of them. They ALL suck. They add considerable bulk to the phone, much more than a higher capacity battery would. It's an inefficient concept that wastes a lot of energy in the conversion, using one battery to charge another. I would like to have the option to purchase a slightly bigger phone with a much longer battery life, instead of an impossibly thin phone that doesn't last me a day. You are not speaking for all users.

• Reply 25 of 103
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

My 5S last the whole day easily.

I usually charge at 10pm with 30%+ of battery life.

I'm pretty sure 99% of iPhone users have the same experience.

Where does it end?  How much sacrifice do the 99% need to make to please the 1%?  What about people who are in the field for MULTIPLE DAYS?  How do they feel?  Maybe we need to make the iPhone weight 1 pound so the battery last a week.  See how silly that sounds?

As stated earlier, I sit at a desk, so I charge my phone throughout the day if needed.  But I can see how other users would want longer battery life, without having to buy special cases.  If you can't see that, then you're arguing for the sake of argument.  

• Reply 26 of 103
    Quote:

Not according to this review

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Apple-iPhone-5s-vs-Motorola-Moto-X_id3450/page/4

"Using the two moderately, we’re able to get through a solid day of normal usage before their batteries are completely depleted. Therefore, neither one is able to out muscle the other in this area. Seriously though, we were hoping for just a little bit more juice out of them!"

Seriously.  There are a million factors that determine battery life.  So many variables.  You can't just use a phone for a few days and make a conclusion.  You need to run base line tests with both phones doing the EXACT SAME THING.

I had it for 3 weeks.  I'm comparing real world usage between the Moto X and my iPhone.  Your comprehension skills are lacking, my friend.

• Reply 27 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Apple's in business to sell stuff. It's not hard to imagine that they might ignore even a fairly large cry for longer battery life if their research shows that it's not a significant influence on the choice to buy or not. They won't compromise it to the point that it has a serious adverse affect on the ownership experience for most people, but they may not make increasing it as high a priority as making the phone thin and light.

Running out of juice has a serious adverse effect on the ownership experience. If the iPhone's battery life was not an issue to "most users," Samsung would not have picked on it for its anti-Apple commercials.

• Reply 28 of 103
    Quote:

whats so hard about buying a battery case?

Thats the point I don't get.  If you want the phone to be bigger and heavier so it has better battery life why not just buy a battery case? 

Again making the phone heavier is hurting 99% of the buyers and benefiting only 1%.

For myself I absolutely LOVE the weight and size of the 5S.  So  much so I refuse to buy a regular case for it because of adding any weight or bulk.

I have battery cases. Lots of them. They're bulky and inefficient. It takes a huge battery case to add the same amount of juice you'd get with a slightly thicker and heavier phone. I'm glad you love your iPhone, but you're clearly pulling your 99% figure right out of your nether regions. Battery life is an issue with all smartphones, and the iPhone in particular. If Apple is, as the rumor says, coming up with two new iPhone sizes, they're obviously aware that "one size fits all" is not the way to go, so why not come up with one model that has huge battery life, for the "1%" so your "99%" doesn't have to suffer?

• Reply 29 of 103
    Quote:

So just because Samsung says the iPhone battery is weak its true now?

Really?

Just because Samsung is willing to spend a few million of their TWENTY BILLION DOLLAR marketing budget it makes it a REAL PROBLEM?

Really?

I guess those commercials do work on the weak minded.

So I guess it also means that iPad owners wish they really had a physical keyboard like the Surface because Microsoft adverstises that?

I didn't say it was a real problem to the point it would make me switch. I said if you survey iPhone users and ask them how the phone could be improved, battery life is at the top of their list. Stop being such a brainless fanboi.

• Reply 30 of 103
    Quote:

This is similar to sports cars and gas mileage. 

Right. The sports car really DOES get shitty gas mileage. People buy them anyway.

The same may be true of the iPhone. The fact that the way you and I use it allows us to get through the day without "filling up" is not an indication that the mileage is good. Maybe Apple's research does NOT indicate that most users are satisfied with the battery. Maybe it shows that, even though they're not, they continue to buy iPhones anyway. It could be that the battery life really IS worse than other devices, but since people buy them anyway, and make that choice based on the device being cool and sexy, Apple chooses to continue giving higher priority to thin and light rather than significantly extending battery life.

• Reply 31 of 103
    I wouldn't mind trading some thinness and weight against a whole-day battery life... The 5S is gorgeous, but if you use LTE or the GPS a lot, an external battery or battery case is pretty much a requirement. I'd love to have the option of a 5Ah battery, even if that meant a thicker, heavier phone.

STFU Already.... Blah blah blah.... Every time there's a post, or a rumor about a change in battery, or a mention of a new battery you crybabies come out!!! Enough already.... You people act like this is the first time this is ever been mentioned! Deal with it and buy a backup battery source, or another brand of phone!!!! We all know about the battery life issues!!!
  • Reply 32 of 103
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Shocking to hear, perhaps, but not everyone's situation is like yours.

“But... but... there are 50,000,000 reasons you’re wrong!”

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

More baseless rumors do not make them true.

Wait, what’s baseless about this? Other than the fact that there’s absolutely no proof of it whatsoever and not even a hinting of truth?

I mean to say, the phone is getting physically larger. Therefore the battery WILL be physically larger. Doesn’t seem like too much of a stretch.

Originally Posted by MagnetPhreak View Post

We all know about the battery life issues!!!

What battery life issues? There aren’t any.

• Reply 33 of 103
    Quote:

nope.  Your real world usage is not accurate.  It all depends on wifi signal, LTE signal, ect, and THOUSANDS of other variables.

The review I posted said they had similiar battery life.

This other review using a test enviroment has the MotoX last shorter than the 5

http://blog.laptopmag.com/moto-x-phone-battery-life-how-it-stacks-up

again you cant rely on real world.  You need to compare the phones doing the exact SAME THING AT THE SAME TIME.

Because the average user runs countless tests in real life?  No, sorry.  Again, you fail. The average user uses their own real world experience or compares their usage to a friend who owns another phone/brand.

• Reply 34 of 103
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Given their huge market share, Apple could easily have several models of iPhone and make everyone happy, including one with longer battery life and a sport model that can manage life in the outdoors.

It's ridiculous that Apple goes to so much trouble to create a beautiful iPhone but, because of limited battery life or ruggedness, many have to cover those good looks with someone else's case. I really do think Apple's design team could come up with several attractive models.
  • Reply 35 of 103
    As long as the phone lasts all day for the vast majority of users that should be all Apple has to do. It's a never ending cycle. What people want is the current phone factor with a better battery. Because once you thicken and add weight to the phone people will complain. I myself have a battery case and a battery pack that I mostly use for trips when I know I won't be near a jack for extended periods of time. Besides those times I and I know a plethora of users can get through most of the day on a full charge.

And like others stated there are so many factors that affect battery life.
  • Reply 36 of 103
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    Quote:

whats so hard about buying a battery case?

Thats the point I don't get.  If you want the phone to be bigger and heavier so it has better battery life why not just buy a battery case? 

Again making the phone heavier is hurting 99% of the buyers and benefiting only 1%.

For myself I absolutely LOVE the weight and size of the 5S.  So  much so I refuse to buy a regular case for it because of adding any weight or bulk.

Can you please document that only 1% want a larger battery. In my job we have 5000+ iPhones, I have asked a number of the people working close to me, and more than half the people asked would prefer a larger battery at the penalty of a little more weight and thickness. Several people, including myself, have battery cases, and I have yet to talk to someone who likes this solution. I have no problems with you saying what you yourself prefer, but stop telling that 99% of other people thinks like you do unless you can document it.

• Reply 37 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I'd rather have a thinner, lighter phone than a thicker, heavier one.  Even if it meant 10 hour battery life instead of 16.  There's a tradeoff in size and battery life, and Apple has hit that mark since they started I believe.  Need I point any doubters to the Macbook Pro Retina or MacBook Airs?

One of the big reasons I bought my first Macbook (13" Air) is because it had the Haswell processor which gave it a very long battery life and great sleep-mode power savings.  It's why I chose it over a Macbook Pro.  It's the first laptop that I've really, really enjoyed using for spur-of-the-moment surfing because it wakes up quickly and I don't have to worry about re-charging it.  The 10+ hours of operating time is a huge factor in my enjoyment of that computer.

For some of us, long battery life is a serious and significant consideration.   It's good that Apple is going to produce a phone for those of us who prefer longer battery life and bigger screens.  I presume they'll also keep producing the smaller sized phones as well.

• Reply 38 of 103
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member

Well I will chill you a little bit it just about 35% bigger as the iPhone 5S got an 5.92 Wh battery (1560 mAh) which is rather huge for a ultra thin 4" phone. But going back to 4S to 5 transition, we saw noticeable battery life gains with just about 3% battery size increase. And this is far bigger than that, so its safe to say the new iPhone will get a noticeably better battery life as well, there will be that hard battery capacity that will not let it down. It will be biggest battery size increase in iPhone history (if true) eclipsing even iPhone 3GS to 4 transition at about 16% and boy that was an incredible battery life on the 4 compared to 3GS back then.... Ok so maybe I didn't chilled anyone with such post.

• Reply 39 of 103
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    Quote:

My documentation is increased iPhone sales every year.

If this was such a huge problem sales would have dropped or Apple would have fixed it.

So you have no documentation at all ! Quite what  I expected. Who said this was such I HUGE problem, people buy iPhones based on an overall assessment, and except for some people writing here, most of them don't believe that all aspects of the iPhone is perfect, but are willing to accept some less than perfect features if it all sums up be be the subjectively perceived best phone.

• Reply 40 of 103
    kedakeda Posts: 722member

Of course we all want longer battery life, and, with each iteration of the iPhone, Apple has reduced its physical size and/or run time.  There is a point of diminishing returns on battery life v. size.  Barring a massive increase in run time (12+ real use hours), I'd guess that Apple is already walking that line.  I hope they are well positioned to continue this trend through innovative hardware AND software.

In my case, I regularly hit the <30% point on my phone after a day of regular use, but have only once risked loosing power.  If I go for a long run (~2hrs) and use Nike+, my battery will easily go from a full charge to under 50%.  With that said, these situations aren't a problem for me since I am not usually far from a power source.  

Improving battery life is number three on my list of wish-list iPhone improvements.