Schools lament shortcomings of Apple's iPad as some opt instead for Chromebooks

Comments

• Reply 101 of 337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You haven't actually read thru any one of the three links I gave you? I'm pretty sure you never actually tried a Chromebook for even a few minutes either. What are you basing your opinion on?

Probably personal bias.  ;-)  

From what I've read, and from what I know of my wife's issues with iPads at her school, the ease-of-management and cloud storage of data and accounts is a huge reason to choose Chromebooks over iPads.  My wife loves her iPad as do I (iPad 3 and also a Nexus 7).  But if I had to manage a few hundred for a school, it certainly wouldn't be my first choice.  Yes, iPads have a huge array of educational apps available but they're not nearly as important as the ability to collaborate with other students, work on school work, browse the web (even now, there are websites that simply work better on a laptop) and exchange homework and information with the teachers.  iPads are great for lending out in the learning commons room when kids want to explore with learning apps, but for day-to-day classroom assignments, the apps available for Chromebooks are more than enough.

• Reply 102 of 337
    cropr wrote: »
    This cannot be an efficient.  Reading the notes of a 1 hour lesson takes 10 minutes, listening the recording takes an hour.  In order to fully master the content of the lesson for the exams, you need to read/listen 2 or 3 times, so the audo recording is not really practical.

Anf taking notes is a lot easier on a device with an integrated keyboard and a 13" screen.

I'm sorry but you're just wrong, and as a person that's currently a student with an iPad, laptop and desktop, I can tell you that recording a lecture is way more efficient than scrambling to even type notes while remember what was said that you're currently writing, while also trying to listen to what's still being said. There's a big difference between doing something efficiently and doing something quickly. Reviewing a few notes that have been typed CAN be done more quickly, but efficiency is understanding the concepts, not just the facts. Understanding the concept is more easily done by listening then re-listening to something in full as opposed to memorizing only the few broken notes that you were able to type. I'm a fast type, but I'd much rather only have to pay attention to the lecture and give it my full attention while not having to type. I can then also go and listen to it a second time while dissecting it and writing about it. Don't confuse efficiency with doing something quickly, because efficiency doesn't ONLY encompass time.
  • Reply 103 of 337
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    Everyone who thinks you can't create on an iPad needs to look at the Apple adverts. Education is not just about typing up reports and spreadsheets. What about using GarageBand for music lessons, can you bring up a piano keyboard on a chromebook? The same with creating videos for drama, or using the camera to record videos of sports and analyse sporting techniques etc. The schools need to think outside the box and realise how creative you can be on an iPad.
  • Reply 104 of 337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by koop View Post

Netbooks did everything badly. Chromebooks do one thing well. Google Apps just wasn't "there" five years ago either.

But for teachers and school districts coming from a PC background, Chromebooks and Google Apps are most of what they need.

1) distribute reading material  (PDF, HTML, HTML5 reader of book formats)

2) distribute assignments

3) retrieve written assignments

4) take canned tests

5) communicate grades back to students (and parents).

That's about it.   There is some really cool stuff out there, but for 80% of the classrooms, that's about it.

There is one thing an chrome book is a lot better than an iPad... reading page from book, and answering the assignment in a text entry mode (Assignment:  Answer the questions on page 42, email your answers to me by noon tomorrow).

For Apple... the 'book' has to be in their authoring format.  For Google, it can be anything displayed by chrome, as you can open up a 2nd window and easily navigate between the two.    

I'm studying for a certification, and I've got 4 windows up all the time (text, test, notes, and appleinsider;-)

• Reply 105 of 337
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    sog35 wrote: »
    any hardware Google makes is piss poor and 2nd rate

Fair enough. Google doesn't build Chromebooks tho. That's left up to companies like Lenovo, Toshiba, Samsung and others.
  • Reply 106 of 337

Wow. Talk about anecdote over-generalized. And over-analyzed.

• Reply 107 of 337
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you never actually tried a Chromebook for even a few minutes either.

Have you yourself tried a Chromebook?

What devices do you use and own?
  • Reply 108 of 337
    appexappex Posts: 687member

The iOS is for fun. The Mac is for work and fun. Full stop.

• Reply 109 of 337
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

Everyone who thinks you can't create on an iPad needs to look at the Apple adverts. Education is not just about typing up reports and spreadsheets. What about using GarageBand for music lessons, can you bring up a piano keyboard on a chromebook? The same with creating videos for drama, or using the camera to record videos of sports and analyse sporting techniques etc. The schools need to think outside the box and realise how creative you can be on an iPad.

Those are some good points. There is no exact equivalent of GarageBand but there are a number of web based audio editing applications. You can record video with a Chromebook. Kind of clunky though. You have to have an Internet connection. You go to YouTube and choose upload > record. 

Bottom line is neither iPad or Chromebook is a complete solution for education or for anything else either. They both have their pules and minuses. I would guess most people who have an iPad also own a computer. I've never actually seen or used a Chromebook. I do have the entire collection of Apple products.

• Reply 110 of 337
    mistercowmistercow Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

I'm sorry but you're just wrong, and as a person that's currently a student with an iPad, laptop and desktop, I can tell you that recording a lecture is way more efficient than scrambling to even type notes while remember what was said that you're currently writing, while also trying to listen to what's still being said. There's a big difference between doing something efficiently and doing something quickly. Reviewing a few notes that have been typed CAN be done more quickly, but efficiency is understanding the concepts, not just the facts. Understanding the concept is more easily done by listening then re-listening to something in full as opposed to memorizing only the few broken notes that you were able to type. I'm a fast type, but I'd much rather only have to pay attention to the lecture and give it my full attention while not having to type. I can then also go and listen to it a second time while dissecting it and writing about it. Don't confuse efficiency with doing something quickly, because efficiency doesn't ONLY encompass time.

When you're taking notes, you only write down the key concepts.  That makes it much more easier to review than listening to the entire lecture again.  You're not typing out the lecture verbatim.  I'd guess you simply don't have good note taking skills.  

• Reply 111 of 337
    yvo84yvo84 Posts: 84member
    I would always side with having a keyboard. We have a tablet at home, it's collecting dust. Anything I would need a tablet for I use my iPhone instead. If I need to do more heavy duty work (or very fast typing) then I'm on my laptop. I understand why some schools have chosen the laptop option, and Chromebooks are cheap.
  • Reply 112 of 337
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I'm pretty sure you never actually tried a Chromebook for even a few minutes either.

Have you yourself tried a Chromebook?

What devices do you use and own?

I believe he has mentioned that Chromebook is his main Internet access device.

• Reply 113 of 337
    mistercow wrote: »
    When you're taking notes, you only write down the key concepts.  That makes it much more easier to review than listening to the entire lecture again.  You're not typing out the lecture verbatim.  I'd guess you simply don't have good note taking skills.  

In your attempt to take a personal shot at me you only made yourself sound stupid. If you are ONLY typing key points, which are few and far between and little in the amount that you have to type, then why do you need a "typing machine?" The point of this story is about needing a keyboard supposedly for typing a lot. If your point is that you only type very little, then you've only proven my point in that an iPad is not only more than enough to do that little bit of typing, but also provides a much more robust learning device because of the apps at your disposal. This has nothing to do with how well I CAN type or write notes, it's my choice to record the entire lesson and re-listen to it glean as much as I can from what's being taught.....I don't see how that could be a negative thing and somehow mean I lack the ability to type notes. Would love to know how that's the conclusion you've drawn...
  • Reply 114 of 337
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    mstone wrote: »
    I believe he has mentioned that Chromebook is his main Internet access device.

Please let him answer the question.

I would like to know what devices he uses personally.
  • Reply 115 of 337
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    I think the issue is not keyboard. The schools are computer idiots. And every body is being misled. The real issue is lack of mouse. You need a mouse to do text editing. Select an insertion point. Select a range of text.

I have a solution to this lack of mouse problem. You actually need to provide a mouse for the iPad. Then you need an app which will provide a cursor on the screen....
  • Reply 116 of 337
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Rebuttal: Apple should be highlighting how brain-dead these people are. Show them why keyboards aren’t necessary, etc..

Re-rebuttal: So what did you use to type your comment? ;)
  • Reply 117 of 337
    mistercowmistercow Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

In your attempt to take a personal shot at me you only made yourself sound stupid. If you are ONLY typing key points, which are few and far between and little in the amount that you have to type, then why do you need a "typing machine?" The point of this story is about needing a keyboard supposedly for typing a lot. If your point is that you only type very little, then you've only proven my point in that an iPad is not only more than enough to do that little bit of typing, but also provides a much more robust learning device because of the apps at your disposal. This has nothing to do with how well I CAN type or write notes, it's my choice to record the entire lesson and re-listen to it glean as much as I can from what's being taught.....I don't see how that could be a negative thing and somehow mean I lack the ability to type notes. Would love to know how that's the conclusion you've drawn...

Please point out where I said a "typing machine" was needed.  You said someone was "just wrong" when they said taking notes was more efficient than recording and re-listening to a lecture.   My post was nothing about how much typing was needed, only that I disagree with your notion that re-listening to lectures is a more efficient way to learn material than taking notes.  

Would love to know how that's the conclusion you've drawn...

• Reply 118 of 337
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

The iOS is for fun. The Mac is for work and fun. Full stop.

... semicolon, and tilde are punctuation marks in the English language. Additionally, iOS is for work.”

This concludes example three of the worksheet on contextual paragraph construction. Please reorder the sentences such that they make sense in context.

• Reply 119 of 337
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    appex wrote: »
    The iOS is for fun, and some work The Mac is for work and some fun. Full stop.

I edited it just a little.
  • Reply 120 of 337
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    gogo2000 wrote: »
    Wow, they're reaching this conclusion now?!?! iPad is great but for work purposes it in now way substitutes a standard laptop.

So many ignorant responses being posted to this article! First, the iPad is a much better replacement for textbooks. Next, it is a much better device for at least K-8th grades. You DO NOT NEED a keyboard. We have these marvelous inventions called pencil and paper that actually force the student to learn how to write while at the same time they remove the the unnecessary technology layer for the creative process of learning and creating. This is quite simply a case of KISS - keep it simple stupid. (I'm referring to K-8 here.)