Schools lament shortcomings of Apple's iPad as some opt instead for Chromebooks

Comments

• Reply 141 of 337
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,608member
    gtr wrote: »
    Okay.

Downsides of the Chromebook? - from an owner's perspective

Build quality could certainly be better but it has taken it's fair share of abuse and still kicking. For less than $300 I've gotten what I paid for. Don't care to be pushed to cloud storage but that's the old school talking again and I guess to be honest it has been convenient. A couple of keyboard idiosyncrasies. Much happier since I added a blue-tooth mouse (is that my old school again?) I do most of my bids from home where there's fewer interruptions and Google Docs handles those easily. I'd probably opt for a slightly larger screen than 11" if I had it to do again as my eyes get older by the week/weak. I've also had a couple of instances with particular programs (ie Garmin Express) lacking support for the Chrome OS, requiring me to use work systems for them.

I've no real complaints about battery life or the OS itself. For a typical home user I don't think there are many downsides. Maybe photo-editing, tho I've not done anything more than basics here at home. Maybe there's decent programs available for those that really like to play around with them. I'm equipped for that at work so I've not bothered looking. Educators and students might have a different set of issues (or pluses) of course.

What are the downsides to your iPad if your had to depend on it as your everyday home machine?
  • Reply 142 of 337
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Build quality could certainly be better but it has taken it's fair share of abuse and still kicking. For less than $300 I've gotten what I paid for. Don't care to be pushed to cloud storage but that's the old school talking again and I guess to be honest it has been convenient. A couple of keyboard idiosyncrasies. Much happier since I added a blue-tooth mouse (is that my old school again?) I do most of my bids from home where there's fewer interruptions and Google Docs handles those easily. I'd probably opt for a slightly larger screen than 11" if I had it to do again as my eyes get older by the week/weak. I've also had a couple of instances with particular programs (ie Garmin Express) lacking support for the Chrome OS, requiring me to use work systems for them.

I've no real complaints about battery life or the OS itself. For a typical home user I don't think there are many downsides. Maybe photo-editing, tho I've not done anything more than basics here at home. Maybe there's decent programs available for those that really like to play around with them. I'm equipped for that at work so I've not bothered looking. Educators and students might have a different set of issues (or pluses) of course.

What are the downsides to your iPad if your had to depend on it as your everyday home machine?

Interesting.

I'm sorry. I just want to confirm something else and then I'll answer your query.

You've mentioned previously that you also have a couple of Windows 8 machines. Is that correct?

How does the Chromebook stack up for functionality compared to them?

If you have Macs, Linux machines, etc... I'm interested in knowing how they compare to the Chromebook also.

• Reply 143 of 337
    Interesting.

I'm sorry. I just want to confirm something else and then I'll answer your query.

You've mentioned previously that you also have a couple of Windows 8 machines. Is that correct?

That would be incorrect. I'll have nothing to do with Win8 unless and until it's forced on me. I can't give you any user feedback on that OS.
  • Reply 144 of 337
    Quote:

That would be incorrect. I'll have nothing to do with Win8 unless and until it's forced on me. I can't give you any user feedback on that OS.

I totally understand. And I don't think you're alone there.

You didn't mention if you owned an Mac/Linux machines and how the Chromebook maybe compares to them.

• Reply 145 of 337
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,301member
    The decision of this district purchasing compete and utter junk like Chromebooks, and some of the uneducated comments being left here supporting their decision, is astonishing in the negative connotation...

This simply demonstrates an extreme lack of planning by the districts' IT team to identify needs like adding keyboards to the iPads if they intend on the devices being used as laptop replacements. Device management as an argument point against iPads makes me LOL real loud, because this is sheer stupidity. iPads can be easily managed in mass quantities. Those people here claiming otherwise are fools who don't know what they're talking about, or who have never used the multitude of MDM solutions available.

Also, the education materials available for iPads are second to none in quality and educational value, ESPECIALLY when compared against the junk Chromebooks.

If I had a kid and they needed to goto to school with Chromebooks as the primary teaching tool, I'd pull my child out, give their IT manager a few choice words, and pay the extra money needed for my child to get into a private school with proper insight into educational needs and who deploy proper gear.
  • Reply 146 of 337

You didn't mention if you owned an Mac/Linux machines and how the Chromebook maybe compares to them.

A Mac (yes we have one at the shop, circa 06 or 07 I believe and rarely used anymore) and a Chromebook aren't designed for the same market and really aren't comparable IMO.
  • Reply 147 of 337
    justbobfjustbobf Posts: 261member
    Yeah, but that's adults talking. I wonder f the kids really miss a physical keyboard.
  • Reply 148 of 337
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

A Mac (yes we have one at the shop, circa 06 or 07 I believe and rarely used anymore) and a Chromebook aren't designed for the same market and really aren't comparable IMO.

Your shop must be in decline. We have lots of requests for OS X native CS 6 files for translation to other languages. OS X is universally preferred among publishing companies.

• Reply 149 of 337
    pfisher wrote: »
    Chromebook sounds better. I use one as my primary computer and it's awesome.
    LOL, primary computer? That's a laugh and a half...
  • Reply 150 of 337
    justbobfjustbobf Posts: 261member
    My kids are in high school, but they don't take a computer to school. They use one at home, but they don't bring a notebook to school.
  • Reply 151 of 337
    Quote:

Okay.

To answer your previous question I have an MBA, an iPad, and an iPhone and my usage between the three devices would be approximately 80% iPad, 10% iPhone, and 10% MBA.

To be honest, I don't see too many downsides for the iPad (for my personal needs, at least) although, if I was forced to pick one, I'd possibly say weight (you can never lose enough weight from a portable device). I find it to be an excellent around package when you consider the price, build quality, software updates, app selection, support, and security.

• Reply 152 of 337
    abazigalabazigal Posts: 114member
    If all they are doing on those computers is typing, then perhaps an iPad is a bit of a waste if the form factor is not fully utilized.

For example, instead of droning on about the properties of shapes, why not distribute iPads to the pupils and let them explore for themselves? Let them roam around the school, take photos of their surroundings, and identify the shapes in the pictures using an app like educreations and keynote.

Use a green screen app to film themselves acting out a concept. Record a digital story with educreations. The sky's the limit, though I admit it can be daunting as it can involve overhauling a significant part of the curriculum with what seems like "not teaching".

Not here to sell the iPad, just saying if all the school intends to do is google docs and browsing the web, then yeah, a chrome book is likely a better (and cheaper) alternative.
  • Reply 153 of 337

Some interesting Chromebook information:

TechRadar believes they need some work:

http://www.techradar.com/au/news/mobile-computing/laptops/10-things-google-should-fix-on-the-chromebook-1165837/1#articleContent

Forbes wants to know why they aren't being used:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2013/12/30/chromebook-sales-who-is-using-chrome-os-browser-share/

The Forbes article begs the question: if they are so great, why are their usage stats so low? Especially for a device designed to be used online.

Some interesting miscellaneous impressions:

http://chronicle.com/blogs/profhacker/eight-thoughts-on-samsung-chromebook/52029

The inability to run Andorid apps at this stage, and internet connection problems, is also ironic.

I don't know what the future holds for Chromebooks but I don't think they would make a better replacement than the iPad, especially for education institutions. It seems that they require a bit more development.

And, of course, Apple's not going to be standing still while that occurs.

• Reply 154 of 337
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    What can go wrong with a Chromebook other than total failure? It loads a fresh copy of the OS every time it's cold-booted.

What? How large is that? And what size, are we talking GB's here? Am I to understand that it usually is simply put to sleep? Doesn't need reboots for software installations? Maybe I'm comparing this too much with a 'regular PC' - why is it reinstalling the whole OS? Do you lose any customisations?

Never took a look at what's available for the Chromebook, so I clicked this 1st link. Pointer was on GoAnimate for Schools, so I clicked that without looking, actually. I get a popup, with user feedback:

"John StollMar 18, 2014

I used the free trial and it was good but I can not use it for myself when no one else in class needs it.
    Was this review helpful? YesNoMark as spam

copil bogdanDec 22, 2013

why is it advertised as free if the first thing I am requested to do after installing the app is to make an account and pay more than 300 usd?
    Was this review helpful? YesNoMark as spam

Peter GiornoMar 22, 2014

I had to have this uninstalled because it was originally advertised as FREE but turns out it was false advertising"

Perhaps it was sorted by 'Most Critical' but I didn't check. I'm sure it's a good device if you've been using it for over 6 months. Are they selling well? I really have no idea.

So I check another app; iPass. It 404'd. Are we certain this Chromebook and its ecosystem is build by the #1 in Internet Services?

Gee, reads like I'm attacking you; sorry if it comes across this way. I can look up the answers myself tomorrow if you don't feel like responding, that's perfectly fine. 5am here; off to bed anyway.
  • Reply 155 of 337
    Won't happen. Chromebooks are as impervious to viruses and malware as a Mac. Perhaps more so.
    The Chromebooks are walking malware devices, thanks to the ToS Google imposes on their use, of both the device, and the related cloud services.

Thanks, but no thanks. And please, DO NOT compare these hunks of crap to Mac's, they are in a completely different universe.
  • Reply 156 of 337
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

The chromebookes used in my 13y/o nephew's school system has been a disaster. My nephew always approaches me to help me diagnose/fix his chromebook, resolve WiFi connectivity issues, and spends more time getting fixed (under warranty) than he gets to use it.

Is this what the school system thinks is "useful"?

Yes, you clearly get a better education with a chrome book.  Every student that figures out a chrome book will qualify for a job in IT.

=) silver lining

• Reply 157 of 337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Okay.

To answer your previous question I have an MBA, an iPad, and an iPhone and my usage between the three devices would be approximately 80% iPad, 10% iPhone, and 10% MBA.

To be honest, I don't see too many downsides for the iPad (for my personal needs, at least) although, if I was forced to pick one, I'd possibly say weight (you can never lose enough weight from a portable device). I find it to be an excellent around package when you consider the price, build quality, software updates, app selection, support, and security.

Everyone is different.  I own MBA, iPad, and iPhone and use them 30% iPhone: 60% MBA: and 10% iPad.  Oh and don't forget the Windows virtual machine that my work provides me.  I use that POS about 0.01% of the time (rounding error).

• Reply 158 of 337

Chromebooks are just better for students that need to type. Curriculums exist for all grade levels. Schools just need to approve them and use them. of course they also must pay for them. They exist for iPads and Chromebooks. Chromebooks keep the information in the cloud. Some Chromebooks have touch screens and in time they will have the same capabilities as iPads or other tablets. For now the touch features only allow selecting links and swiping or scrolling. 

Without a particular set of lessons for each grade available on these devices they are not very useful as teaching tools. 

• Reply 159 of 337
    ash471 wrote: »
    Everyone is different.  I own MBA, iPad, and iPhone and use them 30% iPhone: 60% MBA: and 10% iPad.  Oh and don't forget the Windows virtual machine that my work provides me.  I use that POS about 0.01% of the time (rounding error).

Everyone's uses are most definitely different.

LOL@your POS comment.

I did something similar and ran a Win 7 bootcamp setup on my first MBA in case I ever needed it.

After almost two years of having barely used it I just deleted the damn thing and took back the space.
  • Reply 160 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

LOL, primary computer? That's a laugh and a half...

He must be upgrading from an IBM PC junior.  He's excited he wont have to buy floppy disks for his new Chrome Book.