Apple, Inc. Diversity video narrated by new VP of Human Resources Denise Young-Smith

Comments

• Reply 21 of 87
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    wigby wrote: »
    What does Cuban have to do with it? There were a lot of white dudes and everyone else in there too. They probably grabbed him for a quick shoot.
    i was thinking that because he's the executive they picked for the video. Probably don't think of a white european male like Jony Ive as very diverse. :D Though I would argue that a shaved head is diverse. :D
  • Reply 22 of 87
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Come on AI, why do you insist on inserting an erroneous comma in "Apple Inc.?"
  • Reply 23 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I didn't like the video.

I'd rather see a video of Apple's products. I believe that Apple should stay out of political issues and not push liberal propaganda.

100% agree.

• Reply 24 of 87
    What about the native Americans???????
  • Reply 25 of 87
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    rogifan wrote: »
    i was thinking that because he's the executive they picked for the video. Probably don't think of a white european male like Jony Ive as very diverse. :D Though I would argue that a shaved head is diverse. :D

Being that he's Cuban he likely is a male of white European descent. Hispanic is not a race. Don't get why everyone makes this mistake. Yes, there was and is some interracial pairing but for the most part, Cubans are mostly people of Southern European descent.
  • Reply 26 of 87
    What bout the Native Americans?
  • Reply 27 of 87
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Diversity video...who gives a flying ****?

I want Apple to make the revolutionary products that has made them famous. I couldn't give two shits about diversity.

Diversity, schmersity. It's true that diversity is the contemporary cool thing that you're supposed to celebrate and encourage if you want to be politically correct and feeble-minded. It's still a pile of wank. 

There is nothing good about diversity. If you want to own a winning team of basketball players of black people, knock yourself out. If you want to surround yourself with people like yourself, be my guest. If you want to immerse yourselves in other people's cultures and acquire lots of friends from around the earth, the world's your oyster.

But diversity has nothing to do with excellence, which is the only thing Apple should be interested in.

I put the word diversity on my resume to get more hits. ;)

• Reply 28 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wigby View Post

You have an amazing ability to tell who is most qualified based on their look. You should be hired by CEOs all over the world to pick out the best man for the job. Oh wait, I can do your job too. Let's just pick pick white guys to do all tech jobs. Idiot. It's all Asians and Indians nowadays. Don't you know anything. Am I being serious or am I being a racist like you? No one can tell because you're the joke.

Stick to guessing people's weight at your carny job.

Why even make this post? Seriously? If I ran this forum, you would immediately be banned for an hour. All you did was mock him...

Or her. Forgot we were discussing diversity.

• Reply 29 of 87
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AWilliams87 View Post

I put the word diversity on my resume to get more hits. ;)

"I like a diversity of foods..."

• Reply 30 of 87
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AWilliams87 View Post

Why even make this post? Seriously? If I ran this forum, you would immediately be banned for an hour. All you did was mock him...

Or her. Forgot we were discussing diversity.

Kind of missed the point there didn't you? Why do you care so much if whoever was a him or her? If it's not about the content of an argument, performance, job ethic, what is it about then? I guess it's about the way someone looks to you.

And banning me for an hour? That's how you handle those that disagree with your view? You can't dig yourself any deeper at this point.

• Reply 31 of 87
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    "I like a diversity of foods..."

And you get your "diversity of fools" on AI. :lol:
  • Reply 32 of 87
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So let's say Apple has some product designers, engineers and operations employees in a room or Apple's design studio discussing what they want to do with the next Mac Pro. And let's say this room had a mixture of white, black, Asian, male, female, straight, employees. Let's say one of the designers was a gay white male and he had one idea while a straight Asian engineer had a completely different idea. Do they have different ideas because one is Caucasian and gay and the other is Asian and straight?

I guess I'm trying to understand how skin color, gender and sexual orientation provide diversity of ideas/thought. I suppose you could say a female or Asian employee might be more gung-ho for a gold iPhone but wouldn't that be stereotyping? One would think people's opinions and ideas come from more than just their skin color, gender or sexual orientation.
  • Reply 33 of 87

It is not about some assumed 'need' for diversity, but the need for the RIGHT PERSON FOR THE JOB.  

Besides, the big picture is employees AND contingent workers/outsourced talent, and a LOT of the later tend to be very diverse at most companies...

• Reply 34 of 87
    Apple should air this video as a television ad.
  • Reply 35 of 87

Different countries,different cultures,different ideals combined together to create new technology 

• Reply 36 of 87
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    It is not about some assumed 'need' for diversity, but the need for the RIGHT PERSON FOR THE JOB.  

Besides, the big picture is employees AND contingent workers/outsourced talent, and a LOT of the later tend to be very diverse at most companies...

How does one find that right person for the job? The answer is not always on a piece of paper. Nobody thought Kurt Warner, or Tom Brady was the right person. All they needed was a opportunity to prove that they could do better than the seemingly more qualified.
  • Reply 37 of 87
    As much as I love AppleInsider, the bigoted uniformity of most comments exposes how many of you ignore the disparities of the world.
  • Reply 38 of 87
    As much as I love AppleInsider, the bigoted uniformity of most comments exposes how many of you ignore the disparities of the world.

Just the sort of cretinous remark I would expect from someone who is at ease with his white guilt.
  • Reply 39 of 87
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Infinite Cec View Post

I love the comments, because this my friend is what true diversity is! Diversity of opinions! This is no fake slogan, or some fascist liberal utopia, this is real diversity.

Of course to a group thinking liberal who marches in lockstep to whatever the liberal agenda for the day is, diversity means that tolerance and acceptance of others is only a one way street!

• Reply 40 of 87
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So let's say Apple has some product designers, engineers and operations employees in a room or Apple's design studio discussing what they want to do with the next Mac Pro. And let's say this room had a mixture of white, black, Asian, male, female, straight, employees. Let's say one of the designers was a gay white male and he had one idea while a straight Asian engineer had a completely different idea. Do they have different ideas because one is Caucasian and gay and the other is Asian and straight?

I guess I'm trying to understand how skin color, gender and sexual orientation provide diversity of ideas/thought. I suppose you could say a female or Asian employee might be more gung-ho for a gold iPhone but wouldn't that be stereotyping? One would think people's opinions and ideas come from more than just their skin color, gender or sexual orientation.

The creative process isn't always about a "defined" path. Sometimes an idea/concept that will not work sparks an idea or thought that leads to a different path or conclusion. Sometimes different life experiences can lead to a better solution. Look at american music it's a fusion of different cultures. It can be advantageous, to the creative process,  to have a different point of view/perspective or to look at a problem with a different mindset or life experience.