Apple unlikely to sell sapphire iPhones this year, is setting the stage for future models - JP Morga

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    shogun wrote: »
    I don't know why you guys doubt me. I told you months ago that sapphire would be in the cards for the 6s -- "s" for sapphire like it was security for 5s and Siri for the 4s. No way it's in the 6.

And? Why do you think everyone should listen to you simply because you have a wish? Have you supplied any verifiable proof? Is there any cerifiably proof as of now?
  • Reply 22 of 45
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    shogun wrote: »
    I don't know why you guys doubt me. I told you months ago that sapphire would be in the cards for the 6s -- "s" for sapphire like it was security for 5s and Siri for the 4s. No way it's in the 6.
    What happens when Apple runs out of things that begin with the letter S to add to the phone. Do they no longer have S-series phones?
  • Reply 23 of 45
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

"Unscratchable" makes a decent bullet point....

You're being ironic, right?  

• Reply 24 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Holy shit.. for you, there's more apt words that "interesting", since you've seen around an 8000% return. 

I wish LOL, no I meant GTAT at $9, my AAPL was bought at $30-$70.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Loosely speaking, The 'S' in 3GS stood for 'speed'. 4S stood for 'Siri', 5S for 'Security'. Drum roll....

It's looking pretty likely the 6S will stand for 'Saphire'.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

If you really want to see how much production they are up to, just look at how much LN2 is showing up at their plant each day or week and look at the electric meter, if they are in full swing production they will be using lots of LN2 and electricity and the meter will be spinning like crazy.

• Reply 27 of 45
    bum post
  • Reply 28 of 45
    aric2k wrote: »
    Loosely speaking, The 'S' in 3GS stood for 'speed'. 4S stood for 'Siri', 5S for 'Security'. Drum roll....

It's looking pretty likely the 6S will stand for 'Saphire'.

Haha good one
  • Reply 29 of 45
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You think Apple is planting this rumor to tamper down expectations for iPhone 6? The rumors so far suggest not much to be excited about other than a bigger screen.

why is a cell phone supposed to excite you? it's a common tool. i use this brand's because i like the way it works and there are good apps for it (likely owing to the way it works), not because i want it to provide excitement in my life...

does their mouse product also fail to excite?

• Reply 30 of 45
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    why is a cell phone supposed to excite you? it's a common tool. i use this brand's because i like the way it works and there are good apps for it (likely owing to the way it works), not because i want it to provide excitement in my life...

does their mouse product also fail to excite?

I can't say an iPhone excites me much personally, but a new Mac or even a new iPad definitely does. Heck I get excited about new versions of OS X and iOS. I do know lots of people that get excited about their new iPhones too. I guess Apple tend to make products people love and if you love something you get excited about it. And yes, I was excited to get a magic mouse when they came out.

I'm also VERY excited to see AAPL at +$99 too!
  • Reply 31 of 45

As long as Apple have enough sapphire to bring Touch ID to a new iPad, I’ll be happy.

• Reply 32 of 45
    As long as Apple have enough sapphire to bring Touch ID to a new iPad, I’ll be happy.

I can't imagine a scenario where that doesn't happen.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This is a lie.

Its Corning that's saying Sapphire cost 10x more than Gorilla Glass.

Corning is spewing BS for obvious reasons.

Do you have proof, links, documents, secret communique, you do realize the Apple still uses Corning don't you, why are you so ready to throw them under the bus so soon, especially before a replacement product has even been introduced.

• Reply 34 of 45
    relic wrote: »
    Do you have proof, links, documents, secret communique, you do realize the Apple still uses Corning don't you, why are you so ready to throw them under the bus so soon, especially before a replacement product has even been introduced.

1) Weren't you the one that was adamant Apple was using regular glass in their iDevices and definitely not using the alkali-aluminosilicate sheet toughened glass from Corning.

2) Corning SVP Tony Tripeny stated, "We see a lot of disadvantages of Sapphire versus Gorilla Glass. It’s about 10 times more expensive. It’s about 1.6 times heavier. It’s environmentally unfriendly. It takes about 100 times more energy to generate a Sapphire crystal than it does glass. It transmits less light which…means either dimmer devices or shorter battery life. It continues to break. I think while it’s a scratch resistant product it still breaks and our testing says that Gorilla Glass [can take] about 2.5 times more pressure that it can take."

Lots of evidence of them pooh-poohing sapphire, including power costs to manufacture it.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Weren't you the one that was adamant Apple was using regular glass in their iDevices and definitely not using the alkali-aluminosilicate sheet toughened glass from Corning.

2) Corning SVP Tony Tripeny stated, "We see a lot of disadvantages of Sapphire versus Gorilla Glass. It’s about 10 times more expensive. It’s about 1.6 times heavier. It’s environmentally unfriendly. It takes about 100 times more energy to generate a Sapphire crystal than it does glass. It transmits less light which…means either dimmer devices or shorter battery life. It continues to break. I think while it’s a scratch resistant product it still breaks and our testing says that Gorilla Glass [can take] about 2.5 times more pressure that it can take."
    Lots of evidence of them pooh-poohing sapphire, including power costs to manufacture it.

Yeppers, sure was, that was me, all the way, but I never said they didn't use it, just that it was pretty much worthless if you dropped an iPhone. It turned out the problem with iPhones cracking is do to the metal frame, it doesn't absorb shock nearly as well as a polycarbonate housing. The guy at the iKlinic in Luzern showed my daughter and I a really neat cutaway of the iPhone, walked us through it, said if Apple wants to keep this design they really need to start wrapping the inner part of the metal frame with rubber but that will make the phone thicker and add costs, so it probably won't happen. He then recommended a really good case from Otterbox which we bought from the Apple store in Zurich, I bought my daughter one for her iPhone and one for each of the iPads, even got one for my Kindle HDX but that was a special order directly from their online shop, a little on the expensive side but after you replaced 3 iPhone screens, it's worth it. Great cases, I highly recommend them, http://www.otterbox.com/. It's been 6 months with multiple drops, no problems, best investment ever.

Anymore questions there sparky? :p 

• Reply 36 of 45
    solipsismx wrote: »

Yeppers, sure was, that was me, all the way, but I never said they didn't use it, just that it was pretty much worthless if you dropped an iPhone. It turned out the problem with iPhones cracking is do to the metal frame, it doesn't absorb shock nearly as well as a polycarbonate housing. The guy at the iKlinic in Luzern showed my daughter and I a really neat cutaway of the iPhone, walked us through it, said if Apple wants to keep this design they really need to start wrapping the inner part of the metal frame with rubber but that will make the phone thicker and add costs, so it probably won't happen. He then recommended a really good case from Otterbox which we bought from the Apple store in Zurich, I bought my daughter one for her iPhone and one for each of the iPads, even got one for my Kindle HDX but that was a special order directly from their online shop, a little on the expensive side but after you replaced 3 iPhone screens, it's worth it. Great cases, I highly recommend them, http://www.otterbox.com/. It's been 6 months with multiple drops, no problems, best investment ever.

Anymore questions there sparky? :p  

Glad to hear you've found some good Otterbox cases, Relic. Your family can now drop their iPhones to their hearts' content! ????

I once cycled through Lucerne on my way to Venice. Went over the Gotthard Pass.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Yeppers, sure was, that was me, all the way, but I never said they didn't use it, just that it was pretty much worthless if you dropped an iPhone.

You clearly stated they didn't use it.
    relic wrote:
    What do you think the chances are Apple will start using Gorilla glass again instead of the unprotected glass they're currently using. My daughter has already gone threw 3 repair to replace the glass in hers.
    relic wrote:
    Why is what I said fabricated or untrue, does the current iPhone 4 use Gorilla Glass, no, is the phone's screen easy to crack, yes.
    relic wrote:
    I did, just the original iPhone used it, I think Apple uses glass from http://www.lenstech.com/ now . I'm not starting a fight, I'm just asking if anyone has heard if the new iPhone will include it now, that's it.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You clearly stated they didn't use it.

Okay, fair enough and I'm sorry, I truly didn't remember the specifics of what I posted, what I do recall is how hard it was to find any site that could tell me when Apple started using Corning glass once more, prior to the iPhone 5 Apple used Lens Tech International, hence all the confusion, I mean no where on Apples or Cornings site does it mention that they use Corning. Anyway, thanks for making me look like a asshole for being confused, appreciate that, though I guess it's not very hard right now in my current state of mind. I know you enjoy things like this, being right all the time, more then I do, so I'm glad one of us walked away from this little conversation happy. My opinion though still hasn't swayed, I still believe the iPhone is easily cracked, especially in the hands of children as I see more iPhone's owned by young adults and children that have cracked displays then any other phone, as a parent I'm glad there are premium protective cases like the Otter.

Edit; Actually, looking back at the dates of when I posted those comments, I didn't know Apple used Corning's, it was the display shop that told me, so no reason to make this into something that it's not, you still win though and I'm still an asshole.

• Reply 39 of 45
    Okay, fair enough and I'm sorry, I truly didn't remember the specifics of what I posted, what I do recall is how hard it was to find any site that could tell me when Apple started using Corning glass once more, prior to the iPhone 5 Apple used Lens Tech International, hence all the confusion, I mean no where on Apples or Cornings site does it mention that they use Corning. Anyway, thanks for making me look like a asshole for being confused, appreciate that, though I guess it's not very hard right now in my current state of mind. I know you enjoy things like this, being right all the time, more then I do, so I'm glad one of us walked away from this little conversation happy. My opinion though still hasn't swayed, I still believe the iPhone is easily cracked, especially in the hands of children as I see more iPhone's owned by young adults and children that have cracked displays then any other phone, as a parent I'm glad there are premium protective cases like the Otter.

Edit; Actually, looking back at the dates of when I posted those comments, I didn't know Apple used Corning's, it was the display shop that told me, so no reason to make this into something that it's not, you still win though and I'm still an asshole.

I care not for any labels or even being right, I only care about being correct. I state things incorrectly and misremember things all the time. When I do, and you can show how or where I am incorrect I want you (and everyone else) to let me know. Make me look like an asshole (if that's how you see it) but I want to know what the correct information is.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I care not for any labels or even being right, I only care about being correct. I state things incorrectly and misremember things all the time. When I do, and you can show how or where I am incorrect I want you (and everyone else) to let me know. Make me look like an asshole (if that's how you see it) but I want to know what the correct information is.

I said I was the asshole not you. Whatever you call call it Solipsismx, you come off as very impatient towards anybody that you don't see eye too eye with. You know that I have been suffering as of late, I am no where near to having all of my facilities available to me, it's very apparent to the many mistakes I have been making all over the place. I switched AMD with Nvidia for goodness sakes, it's frustrating, humiliating and I do 't this k I should be reminded of it every time. I know that you need to be, "correct" but I'm also not your typical AppleInsider visited. I use this place to escape my predicament. I'm sorry Solipisismx.