Continued production issues may force Apple to delay 'iWatch' until 2015, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claim

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

I hope Apple releases an iWatch just so we don't have to hear more rumors about it.

I hope Apple never releases an iWatch because it's just a gimmick which has low profit margin.

BTW, has anyone seen any leaked part for iWatch? None...absolutely none, not even a screw.

• Reply 22 of 79
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    You're not getting it. Apple makes money off their iDevices. Creating ways to make their iDevices more valuable to the customer, especially if they become more integrated with your life helps keeps a customer in your ecosystem thereby helping to ensure future sales. The iPhone and iPad not being *new* brand names has absolutely nothing to do with your question about how they can earn money by creating new APIs.

I get that. But that's not really driving future growth, it's protecting the existing customer base. Unless you think HealthKit and HomeKit are going to drive a lot of new sales without first party hardware from Apple. My question is where does growth come from and I don't think software APIs alone will drive it. Plus I don't think Apple would be hiring sales and retail executives from luxury fashion conglomerates if they didn't have something new they were prepping to launch. I doubt Paul Deneve is focusing on how to best showcase 3rd party wearables in Apple stores.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    tastowetastowe Posts: 108member
    The Chinese workers are lame.
  • Reply 24 of 79
    fallenjt wrote: »
    I hope Apple never releases an iWatch because it's just a gimmick which has low profit margin.
    That's assuming what Apple is working on is just like what everyone else is doing. Somehow I have a feeling that's not the case. Earlier this year when Jony Ive was asked about the mythical "iWatch" he said "it's a game of chess, isn't it?" That leads me to believe Apple isn't doing what everyone else is. They're not just taking a smartphone and slapping it on your wrist. While everyone else is playing checkers Apple is playing chess.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I get that. But that's not really driving future growth, it's protecting the existing customer base. Unless you think HealthKit and HomeKit are going to drive a lot of new sales without first party hardware from Apple. My question is where does growth come from and I don't think software APIs alone will drive it. Plus I don't think Apple would be hiring sales and retail executives from luxury fashion conglomerates if they didn't have something new they were prepping to launch. I doubt Paul Deneve is focusing on how to best showcase 3rd party wearables in Apple stores.

1) You're talking about a couple different things but you're conflating them into a single clump. Your previous comments sound like you don't think these APIs should exist unless Apple is creating their own HW. That hasn't been the case with the many thousands of APIs they've created so far so why assume THESE have to have HW from Apple or else?

2) Of course they working on other projects but because you can't see past some simple rumours doesn't mean that nothing else exists. As I've stated I think wearables are going to be a huge market but only when the time is right for them to happen. Apple builds when they have something, not simply because it's been x-duration.
  • Reply 26 of 79
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    That's assuming what Apple is working on is just like what everyone else is doing. Somehow I have a feeling that's not the case. Earlier this year when Jony Ive was asked about the mythical "iWatch" he said "it's a game of chess, isn't it?" That leads me to believe Apple isn't doing what everyone else is. They're not just taking a smartphone and slapping it on your wrist. While everyone else is playing checkers Apple is playing chess.

I agree. If folks just think back to the smart phone before the iPhone they should get a clue. I suspect many have forgotten exactly how radical the iPhone was at the time.
  • Reply 27 of 79
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

To be honest, TS, to say that "Apple isn’t making" a wearables product at this point would be foolish. The question we're debating here is the timing of the release of said wearable.

Why? We have no evidence of it whatsoever. Are they making an HDTV, too?

• Reply 28 of 79
    smiles77 wrote: »

Impossible. Tim Cook said that they would enter new markets THIS YEAR. That does not mean 2015. So unless we see a completely redesigned Apple TV (which I'm not even sure would count as *new*) or something completely out of the blue, there's going to be an iWatch this fall.

You could say it's ’i(gh)Time.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Maybe Apple is not making iWatch after all, but a health tracking device which should be like Nike Fuel band or Fitbit Flex with more integrated sensors. The sole purpose of the device is for health and fitness, not a limited "mini phone" smart watch. This device should be only worn during exercise or fitness activities, not all the time. Apple should not design a device to replace a traditional watch because that would be a dumb move. 

• Reply 30 of 79
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Maybe they realized no one wants it?

First thing that came to mind.
  • Reply 31 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I agree. If folks just think back to the smart phone before the iPhone they should get a clue. I suspect many have forgotten exactly how radical the iPhone was at the time.

Not really. I read a lot of comments back then. Beside the price, everyone expected iPhone would be huge and a mother of all phones. People even said "good bye to all other phones in the world"....yup except Steve Baller (and his laughter).

• Reply 32 of 79

‘They’ meaning ‘him’, right?
    They being management at Apple. The fan base is pretty ho hum when it comes to watches.
  • Reply 33 of 79
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    To be honest, TS, to say that "Apple isn’t making" a wearables product at this point would be foolish. The question we're debating here is the timing of the release of said wearable. As to "something else", well, there's a reason I said "something completely out of the blue"; but my money would be on the wearable device, which I am referring to in my posts as the "iWatch" as that is the generally accepted name for referring to the Apple wearable device.

Why would it foolish? Wearables aren't setting the world on fire. It'll probably be another netbook craze.
  • Reply 34 of 79
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) You're talking about a couple different things but you're conflating them into a single clump. Your previous comments sound like you don't think these APIs should exist unless Apple is creating their own HW. That hasn't been the case with the many thousands of APIs they've created so far so why assume THESE have to have HW from Apple or else?

2) Of course they working on other projects but because you can't see past some simple rumours doesn't mean that nothing else exists. As I've stated I think wearables are going to be a huge market but only when the time is right for them to happen. Apple builds when they have something, not simply because it's been x-duration.

No I never meant to suggest that HealthKit and HomeKit were useless without Apple hardware. I just think the biggest opportunities growth wise are 1st party new hardware from Apple. As far as "you can't see past some simple rumours doesn't mean that nothing else exists", I don't know what you mean there. I'm one who has always believed we're going to get something new beyond iPhones and iPads from Apple this fall. And I still believe that will happen this fall. When do you think the time is right for wearables to happen? 2015? 2016? 2018?
  • Reply 35 of 79
    jungmark wrote: »
    :p
    Why would it foolish? Wearables aren't setting the world on fire. It'll probably be another netbook craze.
    To which Apple responded with the iPad. Who says Apple is/has to do what everyone else is in the wearables space?
  • Reply 36 of 79
    Unpopular statement probably but... Why does everyone get so wound up when Kuo and others re calibrate their assertions based on the latest information available to them? I fully believe that to the best of their knowledge at any point in time they are providing their clients with relevant information. If China imposed an export ban and no iPhones could be shipped out of the country, Kuo again would need to adjust his analysis. Would the guy be attacked for that? I'm sure at some point in the beginning of this year Apple thought they would deliver a wearable product this year.
  • Reply 37 of 79
    jungmark wrote: »
    To be honest, TS, to say that "Apple isn’t making" a wearables product at this point would be foolish. The question we're debating here is the timing of the release of said wearable. As to "something else", well, there's a reason I said "something completely out of the blue"; but my money would be on the wearable device, which I am referring to in my posts as the "iWatch" as that is the generally accepted name for referring to the Apple wearable device.

I find it very hard to envisage hundreds of millions of people all wearing identical Apple watches, unless they can be customised in look, which is why I feel they would need to get several watch makers on board.
  • Reply 38 of 79
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    When do you think the time is right for wearables to happen?

When it's the right time. This means the technology is here at the mass market level and the market is ready for it, which includes the price point being correct. Look at the history of the tablet market to see how Apple nailed this in 2010 despite decades of attempts.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Maybe Apple is not making iWatch after all, but a health tracking device which should be like Nike Fuel band or Fitbit Flex with more integrated sensors. The sole purpose of the device is for health and fitness, not a limited "mini phone" smart watch. This device should be only worn during exercise or fitness activities, not all the time. Apple should not design a device to replace a traditional watch because that would be a dumb move. 
    Considering Jony Ive is supposedly a watch aficionado and owns a number of very expensive watches I doubt he would sign off on something like the Moto Almost 360 which is just a poor mans attempt at creating a luxury looking device. That could mean Apple goes in a completely different direction so there are no comparisons to traditional expensive timepieces.
  • Reply 40 of 79
    Track record! Seriously you can only be wrong so many times.
    Unpopular statement probably but... Why does everyone get so wound up when Kuo and others re calibrate their assertions based on the latest information available to them?
    You make an assumption here that he has information. Further he may have other motives for his comments, he does work in an industry with deep ethical issues.

I fully believe that to the best of their knowledge at any point in time they are providing their clients with relevant information.
    Hey it is a free country. You can even believe that he has his hands up in the air to surrender. If you want to be gullible go on with life as you are.
    If China imposed an export ban and no iPhones could be shipped out of the country, Kuo again would need to adjust his analysis. Would the guy be attacked for that? I'm sure at some point in the beginning of this year Apple thought they would deliver a wearable product this year.

We don't even know for sure they have a watch planned.