Continued production issues may force Apple to delay 'iWatch' until 2015, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claim

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Good, let Apple get it right before they release the product, unlike every other smartwatch that has been released over the past year (except maybe the Pebble). 

• Reply 42 of 79
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    When it's the right time. This means the technology is here at the mass market level and the market is ready for it, which includes the price point being correct. Look at the history of the tablet market to see how Apple nailed this in 2010 despite decades of attempts.
    When do you think the time will be right? If we get something this fall from Apple does that mean the time was right?
  • Reply 43 of 79
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

They being management at Apple.

That would imply that Apple thought anything about it at all. The iWatch has never been anything but a fabrication.

• Reply 44 of 79
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    When do you think the time will be right? If we get something this fall from Apple does that mean the time was right?

I don't know how I can be any more clear.
  • Reply 45 of 79
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,849member
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Why? We have no evidence of it whatsoever. Are they making an HDTV, too?</span>

No evidence other than the fact they hired all of these watch experts away from some pretty high profile companies that specialize in making watches and wearables. Other than that naw, Apple's not making a wearable item at all. I mean why would they hire those people to help build something they don't specialize in?
  • Reply 46 of 79
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

No evidence other than the fact they hired all of these watch experts away from some pretty high profile companies that specialize in making watches and wearables. Other than that naw, Apple's not making a wearable item at all. I mean why would they hire those people to help build something they don't specialize in?

So... no evidence, then.

• Reply 47 of 79
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I find it very hard to envisage hundreds of millions of people all wearing identical Apple watches, unless they can be customised in look, which is why I feel they would need to get several watch makers on board.
    Why not? Everybody on Star Trek basically had the same communications device. Today Apple can't even be bothered to introduce two truly new iPhobes a year.

These days people customize their expensive electronics with cheap but expensive rubber. Most people aren't that vain these days.
  • Reply 48 of 79
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,849member
    So... no evidence, then.

Nope, none at all.... /s
  • Reply 49 of 79
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

That would imply that Apple thought anything about it at all. The iWatch has never been anything but a fabrication.

I believe they thought about it. I don't see the market for a smart watch and I doubt Apple does. They could easily be working on something different. I just don't see iWatch doing anything useful for me and frankly some of the speculated features could be seen as harmful.

It would be like giving a rope to somebody that is suicidal. Or in modern terms giving a text capable cell phone to a new female driver.
  • Reply 50 of 79
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

As I've stated I think wearables are going to be a huge market but only when the time is right for them to happen. Apple builds when they have something, not simply because it's been x-duration.

So, this is one of the big reasons why I believe this year is when it comes out. Apple has been working intently on this since at least 2009 and it's involved Jony Ive and quite a few other wearables legends between then and today. See this article from March 2010 talking about how "DeVaul will be working under Jonny Ive in a secret lab focused on wearable computing technology where only seven people besides Ive and CEO Steve Jobs know what he is doing." This "secret lab focused on wearable[s]" was under the main public radar at the time, and the rumor mill didn't really explode on Apple+wearables until January of last year when the project went to full construction mode and started involving a few hundred people instead of a few dozen.

With the lengthy timeline of exploration and development, combined with the expansion of personnel on the project starting 2 years ago, along with the hirings within the past year of a number of top-tier fashion executives well-versed in selling "jewelry & fashion" style products, I don't know how you could say they aren't nearing reveal of the product. Tim Cook's comments from earlier this year seem to reinforce that feeling with an actual date range (this year), and thus we now have "the iWatch".

What kind of data or reasoning do you (or TallestSkil) have to back up your position that they aren't looking to release a wearables product soon, or haven't been working on a wearables product at all (which is more TS's apparent view than your own)?

• Reply 51 of 79
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Nope, none at all.... /s

Thanks for agreeing. When we start to see leaked parts or schematics or orders or even an uptick in three year old patents that would be relevant, you let us know. Until then, the iWatch is as real as the iTV.

Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

See this article from March 2010 talking about how "DeVaul will be working under Jonny Ive in a secret lab focused on wearable computing technology where only seven people besides Ive and CEO Steve Jobs know what he is doing."

I love Seth as much as the next guy, but where’s his proof of this assertion?

...the project went to full construction mode and started involving a few hundred people instead of a few dozen.

Of which we’ve seen nothing.

I don't know how you could say they aren't nearing reveal of the product. 

No parts, no orders, no components, no uptick in relevant patents, no leaks of any sort from any supplier or manufacturer... Like the TV. And the 2.5” iPhone. And the 5.5” iPhone.

Tim Cook’s comments from earlier this year seem to reinforce that feeling...

I seem to have forgotten them. Do you have a quote somewhere?

• Reply 52 of 79
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,919member
    If this analyst Ming-Chi Kuo as a respected entity in media is right than more power kudos to him. If not than he should keep his mouth shut for few years. Right thing to do. Otherwise every tom dick and harry can make baseless opinion in media to impact stock movement to benefit some.
  • Reply 53 of 79
    smiles77 wrote: »
    What kind of data or reasoning do you (or TallestSkil) have to back up your position that they aren't looking to release a wearables product soon, or haven't been working on a wearables product at all (which is more TS's apparent view than your own)?

I have no such reasoning. I feel as though we're on the cusp on this being able to happen. I feel this way based on looking at other products that are on or coming to market. So far none of them are very good but they all have parts that are decent. Once you add Apple to the equation I can see it happening, which is not unlike all those rumours of an "iTablet" with a crapload of crappy craplets at CES right before Apple demoed the iPad.

I can also see how early 2015 might be a better time, but that might be my desire for Apple to space out their release schedules like they used to instead of having everything released all within a month or two of each other. I think sapphire makes the most sense on a smaller display first, one that might start with lower volume product (IOW, not the iPhone which sold 52 million units last Christmas Holiday Quarter), and one that already is accustomed to that sort of display tech because it both needs it, like smacking your wrist into things, and expects it, like quality watch faces.

But again, my wishes are meaningless here. The only thing I somewhat know is that Apple has a good history of only releasing products when the time is right to reinvent a market with great success. Will they be successful again? We don't know, but history is with them.
  • Reply 54 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I don't know how you could say they aren't nearing reveal of the product. 

No parts, no orders, no components, no uptick in relevant patents, no leaks of any sort from any supplier or manufacturer... Like the TV. And the 2.5” iPhone. And the 5.5” iPhone.

Tim Cook’s comments from earlier this year seem to reinforce that feeling...

I seem to have forgotten them. Do you have a quote somewhere?

But isn't the lack of parts the exact sort of thing you'd expect from a top-secret new project? We had no idea what the iPad was gonna look like – no parts leaked, no orders, nothing – until an hour before the event when we finally saw a staff member unboxing them and showing us the backs.

As far as Tim Cook's comments go, here's Forbes "he did assure analysts 2014 would be a year of new category-defining products. When asked if Apple still planned to move into new categories in coming months, Cook’s quickly answered. “Yes. Absolutely."" and BusinessInsider a month later "[Cook] said, "There will be new categories. We're not ready to talk about it, but we're working on some really great stuff." When he was pressed on whether that means new iterations of the iPad, or entirely new stuff that doesn't exist at all, Cook declined to comment. He just said that any "reasonable" person would consider what Apple is working on to be a new category.""

• Reply 55 of 79

Or mid 2016.

Or early 2017.

Or 2033, where it was voted "best watch" and sold with a free bottle of Svedka.

Seriously, Ming needs to go back to the last job he was good at: "sucky sucky, five dollah"

• Reply 56 of 79
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

But isn't the lack of parts the exact sort of thing you'd expect from a top-secret new project?

Absence of evidence is not evidence of non absence... 

As far as Tim Cook's comments go, here's Forbes "he did assure analysts 2014 would be a year of new category-defining products. When asked if Apple still planned to move into new categories in coming months, Cook’s quickly answered. “Yes. Absolutely."" and BusinessInsider a month later "[Cook] said, "There will be new categories. We're not ready to talk about it, but we're working on some really great stuff." When he was pressed on whether that means new iterations of the iPad, or entirely new stuff that doesn't exist at all, Cook declined to comment. He just said that any "reasonable" person would consider what Apple is working on to be a new category.""

I don’t see ‘watch’ or ‘wearable’ anywhere in that.

• Reply 57 of 79
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member

Bottom line:

No iWatch...

Maybe a Fitness/Health band...I love to see a $149 fitness band that bury Galaxy Gear and bunch of Android wearable devices.

No 5.5" iPhone 6

Maybe new Apple TV

No iPad Pro

Maybe iPad Air 2

• Reply 58 of 79
    Quote:

Neither did I say they were releasing either of those. I predict that they are, but gave specific room for literally any other new product. The reason my bet would be on the wearable is because they've been working on it so long, and that it's one of the three major unreleased products we're aware of them working heavily on (wearable, tv, payments) that seems closest to completion.

(forgive me if I've missed a major product we're aware they're currently working on but forgot to include)

• Reply 59 of 79
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

Absence of evidence is not evidence of non absence... 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

But isn't the lack of parts the exact sort of thing you'd expect from a top-secret new project? We had no idea what the iPad was gonna look like – no parts leaked, no orders, nothing – until an hour before the event when we finally saw a staff member unboxing them and showing us the backs.

As far as Tim Cook's comments go, here's Forbes "he did assure analysts 2014 would be a year of new category-defining products. When asked if Apple still planned to move into new categories in coming months, Cook’s quickly answered. “Yes. Absolutely."" and BusinessInsider a month later "[Cook] said, "There will be new categories. We're not ready to talk about it, but we're working on some really great stuff." When he was pressed on whether that means new iterations of the iPad, or entirely new stuff that doesn't exist at all, Cook declined to comment. He just said that any "reasonable" person would consider what Apple is working on to be a new category.""

New category: iPunked!

• Reply 60 of 79
    smiles77 wrote: »
    But isn't the lack of parts the exact sort of thing you'd expect from a top-secret new project?

You'd expect so additional security but at some point they need to source millions of components and have a manufacturer build their product. This would likely be a Chinese company (I don't think some contracted US company would be any more secretive). At some point there is just too much going on for Apple to be able to control every aspect despite their wishes.But if they think it'll only be, say, 1 million units per quarter then it would likely be kept secret for longer.

Or Apple could announce and demo this year with a release for next year. This could be done to get partners on-board (like with the Apple TV, even though that didn't work out as they wanted) or so they get people to keep from signing new contracts (like with the 6 months before the iPhone launch), or because they simply know they won't be able to keep it a secret a week or two before launch so they want to own the original announcement (which may be what they did with the iPad which didn't launch until April 2010, and that was only the WiFi version). Note the latter wasn't because they were still doing the MacWorld event for announcement as that ended in 2009.

I think it's reasonable to think they could be 3 to 6 months out from launching after they announce and demo a wearable.