Another purported 'iPhone 6' document suggests Apple may offer 128GB model

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    With cloud and streaming services I really have no need for anything more then 32GB. I used to store all of my music locally but now with Spotify what's the point. Photos taken with my camera are automatically uploaded and then deleted on my phone, with OneDrive so integrated into the OS I can't tell the difference when accessing those photos for viewing later. Videos, I don't really use my phone, to small, I have to many tablets that do that perfectly too try and sit in front of a small screen and enjoy a movie. I still have Netflix and Zattoo installed just in case but outside of testing I haven't used them as of yet. My iPad though, more is always better, I would actually like to see a 256GB version as I'm constantly deleting things with 128GB (music creation  apps), would still prefer a mini SD card slot.
  • Reply 42 of 66
    ryan96ryan96 Posts: 11member
    No more 16GB model, for the amount of music and apps and videos we have on our phones compared to 2007 there isn't a reason to still have that storage size. Start at 32GB, $50 more 64GB and an additional $50 gets you 128GB. Fire phone starts at 32GB for the same price as 16GB iPhone it's time apple switched things up. I'm tired of not being able to quickly take a picture because my iPhone can't possibly take another photo.
  • Reply 43 of 66
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Well, if that was true, then maybe. iPad Air's 5MP camera vs. 5s 8MP camera begs to differ though. One of the reasons I think families recording event stills with their iPads is so stupid, in addition to being rude to those behind.

Edited: Larger image files being imported to the device from the huge originals on the computer: how are the imported file sizes arrived at when you simply sync a photo album? Offhand I'd expect the larger iPad screen would mean a larger synced image file than a sync optimized for a 5s screen....

So nothing to do with the device's own camera: just the more large-image-file compatible screen.

• Reply 44 of 66
    rogifan wrote: »
    Ok I'll bite. Why is 5.5" special? People that want a 4.7" screen don't need the additional storage? Apple didn't limit 128GB to the iPad Air so why would they do it with iPhone?
    Apple did limit it on IPad 4 however, but not at original release.

rogifan wrote: »
    That would be nice for flagship models. Apple has made their laptops more affordable, I don't see why they can't bump storage without raising prices. I mean isn't technology supposed to get cheaper over time? So would this really even have much impact on Apple's margins?
    No, it's a $10 device difference.
    sog35 wrote: »
    Why?  Because they can.  Because Apple always prefers people to buy the flagship.

iPhone6 4.7 - 16/32/64
    iPhone6 5.5 - 32/64/128

This way Apple can charge $299 on contract for the 5.5
    Alot of people will justify this extra $100 because they are getting a bigger screen + 16GB memory + sapphire + faster chip

I think its time that smartphones go up in prices.
    We've been stuck at $199 for flagships for over 7 years.  Price should go up just because of inflation.

Of course there are people who don't want to pay more than $199 - so they can grab the 4.7
    Tech does not go up in price, food and materials do.
    Yes the prices of a certain technology goes down.  But with new technology comes higher prices.  Just look at the TV market.

UHD TV's cost $20k. 

The top of the line phones should cost more than $199 on contract.  We've been stuck on that price for 7 years.
    $299 for a iPhone6XL sounds right.
    UHD TV cost 1/9 that price as well.
    Well, if that was true, then maybe. iPad Air's 5MP camera vs. 5s 8MP camera begs to differ though. One of the reasons I think families recording event stills with their iPads is so stupid, in addition to being rude to those behind.
    Think he means the actual files of apps on larger screen.
  • Reply 45 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Why don't you use it?

It's only $25 bucks a year. I use it and it works pretty good.

I no longer have to waste any space or waste money on extra flash memory needed to keep tons of songs on any of my devices. 

Yep, totally agree, though I prefer Spotify, I no longer see the point in actually purchasing music anymore. The point still stands though, why waste your local phones storage. I don't know if US mobile providers let you use music streaming services for free but they do here in Switzerland, doesn't really matter though as I have an unlimited data account and will never, ever give it up, even if they started charging me twice as much.

• Reply 46 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Larger image files being imported to the device from the huge originals on the computer:  mine start at 32MB each (RAW, uncompressed and straight out of a Nikon D800) worthwhile for editing and such on my full size iPad but not worth anything on my 5s. My recent vacation I came back with over eleven hundred of them....

So nothing to do with the device's own camera: just the more large=image=file compatible screen.

That's more of a workflow thing, but I get your point. I do my RAW processing on a laptop, and I've shot swim team action "portraits" and come home with 6,000 RAW files. Thing is, my images are smaller than yours (1D Mark iii vs. Nikon D800), and I still could not easily do that work on an iPad, so I think it's more workflow than image size.

You're correct though that processing 1100 RAWs on a phone would be ridiculous, because of the screen size, and works fine on an iPad.

• Reply 47 of 66
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I hope this means that the sizes are going to be 32/64/128gb as standard. 16gb is not really enough any more.

That's not going to Apple.

Storage = Apple's profit margin.

They would drop the 32 from existence, and slide 64 & 128 down in price point, before they would get rid of 16 GB model. Even today, at least half if not a larger majority of users have no need for anything over 16 GB.

That still leaves millions of people who want/need more than 16. But no reason to axe 16.

• Reply 48 of 66
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkman View Post

95%+ of my music is ripped from my CD collection. Without iTunes Match (which I don't use) iCloud is much less useful for me. I'll take that 128GB please.

Why don't you use it?

I no longer have to waste any space or waste money on extra flash memory needed to keep tons of songs on any of my devices. 

I think the issue for some people, and it is likely the same bunch who complain about the battery life, is that if you are out and about away from wifi, you can go over your data limit pretty quickly streaming music all day. I don't use iTunes Match or even iCloud for that matter. I have a 64GB with lots of music. I do a lot of flying so it is one less thing to think about because the music is always there on the device.

• Reply 49 of 66

More proof a 3TB version is coming - sog35.

• Reply 50 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

At this point, I shall be quite happy when it’s announced and we can relive some of this tension here.

• Reply 51 of 66
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I do.

I think the iPad Mini and Mini Retina are dirt cheap.

If Apple's profits are bothering you maybe you should invest in some Apple stock?

I did.  I starting buying in Nov2012 at $590, then $550, $500, $450, $400.  I just sold most of my stock last week and made about $40k.  I'm still holding 200 shares and hope those will fund my future Apple purchases.  I will be getting about $400 in dividends next year and will sell a few shares once the 6S comes out.  I'm saving my $40k to buy the iCar when it comes out.
    I am invested in Apple stock. I don't think any of their products are "dirt cheap". On what basis do you think the iPad mini is too cheap?
  • Reply 52 of 66
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Because Apple wants you to buy the larger, more expensive product.

Have you not been following Apple for the past few decades?

I don't know for sure what will be announced of course come Sept, but if the 128GB RAM is only available on the 5.5" phone, then I will not be the least bit surprised, as that is exactly what I am expecting Apple to do.
    Ok so what then is the iPad mini available with 128GB storage option since the iPad Air is more expensive?

And in my case it wouldn't work because I don't want a phablet. So instead of getting a sale from me for a 4.7" device Apple would get no sale at all.
  • Reply 53 of 66
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mstone wrote: »
    Which one?

The ones with the dial up modem of course :lol:
  • Reply 54 of 66
    At this point, I shall be quite happy when it’s announced and we can relive some of this tension here.

I guess so, but I posit that we would be reliving a different kind of tension after the announcement.
  • Reply 55 of 66

I really, really hope this is true, I'd love to have entire music library without having to mess with any of the cloud services.

Quote:

Why don't you use it?

I had it (iTunes Match) the first year and it was a disaster.  None of smart playlists would work.  Playcounts and last played dates didn't update.  Playcounts and last played dates were changed in my library.  For months deleted songs would randomly reappear.  I think I had it on for two days before I turned it off and unsubscribed.  If it's any better now, I'll never know.  I'd much rather "waste" my money on more storage and have everything work properly rather than shell out more money for another subscription that may or may not work.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Yep, totally agree, though I prefer Spotify, I no longer see the point in actually purchasing music anymore. The point still stands though, why waste your local phones storage. I don't know if US mobile providers let you use music streaming services for free but they do here in Switzerland, doesn't really matter though as I have an unlimited data account and will never, ever give it up, even if they started charging me twice as much.

Why waste battery and bandwidth on streaming music?  I listen to music and podcasts 8+ hours/day.  There's no way my battery would last long enough to stream that much content.  The single most battery draining activity on an iPhone is streaming cellular data.  The least battery draining activity is local music playback.  I'd much rather use my local storage and have my battery last all day than save my storage for (what?) and have a dead battery in 4 hours.

• Reply 56 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I would like to see:

•  

• true stereo output from internal speakers (even if it only allowed a mixed of L & R

•  

Why? Seriously. What benefit will you realize? What advantage will there be to justify the increased size and cost of the phone or reduced size and quality of the speakers?

The advantage of stereo over mono is spacial cues. You don't get usable spacial cues with speakers less than an inch apart. Holding it close doesn't matter. Your head is too big for side-by-side speakers to do any good.

Tiny little telephone speakers sound like crap. How is CrapX2 better than CrapX1?

If you're in a situation that makes external speakers impractical, headphones are the only way you're gonna hear stereo.

• Reply 57 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:

Why don't you use it?

Cloud-based storage is all but useless for many.

In my case I usually don't have access to online content. The corporate wifi at work has blocked so many ports I can't even get EMAIL, much less streamed music and video. I couldn't even activate a replacement iPhone! I can't imagine my employer is unique in this regard, so presumably others would face the same issue.

If one uses cellular data to stream, the data costs will very quickly add up to a helluvalot more than even the egregious $100 premium Apple charges for measly dribbles of storage. Imagine driving around all day streaming the way you would listen to the radio.

Then there's the fact that there's no online access in subway tunnels at all, so one of the longest and most common situations for listening/watching is limited to local storage.

It's not hard to imagine that there are a good number of users for whom ample local storage is a key feature.

• Reply 58 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardcle View Post

Why waste battery and bandwidth on streaming music?  I listen to music and podcasts 8+ hours/day.  There's no way my battery would last long enough to stream that much content.  The single most battery draining activity on an iPhone is streaming cellular data.  The least battery draining activity is local music playback.  I'd much rather use my local storage and have my battery last all day than save my storage for (what?) and have a dead battery in 4 hours.

4 hours, wow that suck. Thank goodness I don't have a similar experience with my phone. Unfortunately I don't have an iPhone to compare with as my daughter or husband won't let me touch theirs. Anyway I have a Nokia 1020, Nexus 5 and a newly acquired Porsche Design P'9982 that I bought for my husband but he in turn gave it to me as he new that I would appreciate it more then he would, you know this whole dying thing has it's advantages sometimes, your sick Relic, what the hell is wrong with you. Well that and he really waberry nts the new BlackBerry PassPort as he's a bit of keyboard junkie, so I promised he would be the first person in Switzerland to get one, even if it means flying to Canada and blowing the CEO. I don't blame my husband either as the Passport looks absolutely one hell of good product and I get to keep something that I really didn't want to part with as the Porsche Design P'9882 is probably the most beautiful phone I have ever owned.

Anyway, no BS, with a full charge I can listen to Spotify or Podcasts nonstop for about 8 hours straight, full disclosure I do have the Camera Grip accessory with built in battery which adds an additional 2 hours of operation time, however even without, it's still a far cry from the 4 hours that you're gei have sitting. My Nexus 5 got about 5 hours with Kit Kat and with the new "L"preview I get 6.5 hours, the new Android 5 so far is looking to be pretty awesome. I haven't stressed test the Porsche yet.

Really though I have been using my Kindle HDX, 64GB, LTE tablet more an more lately for such things. I have kind of neglected it as of lately and I wanted to incorporate it more into my life. Which was a good call because it's a wonderful device. If any of you ever had a reason to look past your bias nature for a non-Apple product this would defiantly be the one to do it for. Not only is as fast as the iPad Mini, costs only 200.00 for the 16GB wifi version, looks good, built like a tank, wonderful display with nature colors, has a very functional Mircast option that actually works great  when connected to a TV as you get a full 1080P for the desktop and all of the apps installed but the battery life is an incredible 12 hours, when LTE is used in conjunction with Spotify, 9 hours. Neither my iPad Air or my kids iPad Mini Air's can achieve that, only my Nokia 2420 get's better battery life but that's because the keyboard has a battery too. It's a great all rounder little tablet even though it's meant to be an eBook reader, a must buy for anyone who is on a budget or is looking for a little companion that could actually fit in most peoples back pocket. If rooted you could use it as a phone, again not bad for the price.

• Reply 59 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

How many phones do you have?

How many tablets do you have?

Tablets;

Nexus 10, Kindle HDX, iPad Air, Nokia 2520, Surface 3 Pro

Phones;

Nokia 1020, Nexus 5 and a new Porsche-Design P'9882

• Reply 60 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

I'm down with this. I think it will come down to how photos and the new cloud storage mechanisms play. I already fill up 64gb because of laziness. And I do like to be lazy.

I wonder what your house looks like. you know hoarding can turn into a disease

Hey, don't bash his hoarding; bugs like mess!