Apple activates iPhone 5 battery replacement program, to swap out affected parts for free

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    I had battery issues on my iPhone 5 (purchased on launch day) since the new year, and progressively got worse. Took it to an Apple Store - two weeks ago - in the UK. They wanted to run diagnostics as I wanted to buy a new battery. But first they wanted to wipe the data on my phone - and boom, it bricked and they couldnt get it off the Apple logo, so , they just gave me a nice shiny refurb

There was clearly an issue with my battery - and I suspect they've had quite a few back to assess the problem is legitimate and deserves this. Certainly in the EU - even for a battery - you should be able to expect it to last 2 years. I cant fault the Apple Store guys - they were really good. I went in ready to pay up, and they ended up saying I "had consumer rights" and handed me a new one without asking.
  • Reply 82 of 89
    In one scenario, customer has bought iPhone 5 from US and is eligible for free battery replacement. But if customer has moved to India, will customer get free battery replacement in service center of India?
  • Reply 83 of 89
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    philboogie wrote: »
    'Xcept for when the phone was plugged in.
    Or connected to WiFi the whole time.
  • Reply 84 of 89
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    droidftw wrote: »
    'Xcept for when the phone was plugged in.
    Or connected to WiFi the whole time.

Ehm, no. Phones try to connect to a tower, regardless of whether they are connected to the Internet over WiFi or not. Unless the SIM PIN hasn't been entered, or the phone is in Airplane Mode.
  • Reply 85 of 89
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Ehm, no. Phones try to connect to a tower, regardless of whether they are connected to the Internet over WiFi or not. Unless the SIM PIN hasn't been entered, or the phone is in Airplane Mode.
    True. I assumed the poster was referring to the data connection bouncing around. I've had that drain batteries on Android phones. I've never heard of poor signal strength for cell service draining a battery. I suppose it makes sense that thrashing between roaming and not would also drain a battery.
  • Reply 86 of 89
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    droidftw wrote: »
    True. I assumed the poster was referring to the data connection bouncing around. I've had that drain batteries on Android phones. I've never heard of poor signal strength for cell service draining a battery. Maybe that's just an iOS thing.

As they say in tech, "Assumption is the Mother of all FuckUps (need to leave out the space otherwise the 4 letter F word would've auto corrupt into ****)

Ehm, no, cellphones all poll the towers. I've seen poor battery life on my Sony CM-DX 1000 when it couldn't get a signal. The battery was also drained if other carriers had cranked up their signal on the tower right next to my provider; it caused cellphones to keep on trying to get a solid fix to your preferred tower but the signal just wasn't that strong. But that's all behind us, this was 1996 or something.

• Reply 87 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

True. I assumed the poster was referring to the data connection bouncing around. I've had that drain batteries on Android phones. I've never heard of poor signal strength for cell service draining a battery. I suppose it makes sense that thrashing between roaming and not would also drain a battery.

You haven't? It's very well-known that poor cell reception drains batteries quickly.

• Reply 88 of 89

It was really a osme post.

• Reply 89 of 89

For good quality iPhone 5 battery replacement you can learn about HCQS.