Review: Apple's mid-2014 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display

Comments

• Reply 61 of 95
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Why should there be an 'h' in 'honor'? Why should there be an 'r' in 'color'?

1) If we look at it from a pronunciation standpoint the 'r' in both words is pronounced, but the 'h' in honor isn't . For color I'd change the 'c' to a 'k'.

2) If I could go back in time I would prevent the Great Vowel Shift from happening. What a mess it made for English in compared to other languages.
  • Reply 62 of 95
    With so many brands, types, and classes of laptops it can by dizzying to pick the one that is right for you. I compared a list of laptops and ultimately settled on the new Macbook Air, and I am very happy with my decision. I have been a PC user for years, but got tired of battling viruses and needing to constantly update plugins and get new software to complete simple tasks. I found that the Macbook air is a great value because you don't need to buy a bunch of software as soon as you buy the laptop, (it comes loaded with essentially everything you need) and it is a very fast machine, little to no lag even when doing multiple things at once. I also found the newest MacBook Air on sale for a really good deal, which sweetened the pot. I bought it here: http://www.freshlineup.com/forher/apple-macbook-air Hopefully it is still on sale for you!
  • Reply 63 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Why should there be an 'h' in 'honor'? Why should there be an 'r' in 'color'?

1) If we look at it from a pronunciation standpoint the 'r' in both words is pronounced, but the 'h' in honor isn't . For color I'd change the 'c' to a 'k'.

2) If I could go back in time I would prevent the Great Vowel Shift from happening. What a mess it made for English in compared to other languages.

The 'r's are silent in England. Why would you change 'c' to  'k'? That makes no sense.

• Reply 64 of 95
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Why would you change 'c' to  'k'? That makes no sense.

It’s the right phoneme.

C is completely redundant in modern English. There aren’t any instances of the letter where replacing it with S or K wouldn’t result in the same sound.

• Reply 65 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why would you change 'c' to  'k'? That makes no sense.

It’s the right phoneme.

C is completely redundant in modern English. There aren’t any instances of the letter where replacing it with S or K wouldn’t result in the same sound.

Cite?

Kite?

• Reply 66 of 95
    Quote:

It’s the right phoneme.

chisel chimp chump chop chip choose chortle 

but

chasm kasm

cheroot sheroot

chiropodist shiropodist

• Reply 67 of 95
    Cite?
    Kite?

Exactly my point. Kite and colour have the same |'k| sound.

But to [@]Tallest Skil[/@]'s point, cite, site, and sight are heterographic homophones where the spelling helps, but if you are speaking you need the context to understand what word is being used.
  • Reply 68 of 95

Cite? Kite?

Site. Same phonemes.

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

chisel chimp chump chop chip choose chortle 

Aha! CH, on the other hand, is its own phoneme. If you take away the H effect, you get an S sound. May as well turn ch into its own letter.

With its variety of use being greater than the rest of the consonants, C could also just be made a vowel.

Oh, speaking of English. Ghoughpteighbteau is pronounced ‘potato’.

• Reply 69 of 95
    Oh, speaking of English. Ghoughpteighbteau is pronounced ‘potato<span style="line-height:22.399999618530273px;">’.</span>

In American English we spell it Ghoghpteighbteau.
  • Reply 70 of 95
    Quote:

Site. Same phonemes.

Aha! CH, on the other hand, is its own phoneme. If you take away the H effect, you get an S sound. May as well turn ch into its own letter.

With its variety of use being greater than the rest of the consonants, C could also just be made a vowel.

Oh, speaking of English. Ghoughpteighbteau is pronounced ‘potato’.

I say potato....

lots of them in English, a very famous character in a series Dads Army

At my school - they had an example like ghoughpteighbteau but I can't for the life of me remember what it was - i tried google but to no avail.

the intent was the same - to point out the weirdness of certain character combos

• Reply 71 of 95
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Cite? </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Kite?</span>

Site. Same phonemes.
    chisel chimp chump chop chip <span style="line-height:1.4em;">choose chortle </span>

Oh, speaking of English. Ghoughpteighbteau is pronounced ‘potato<span style="line-height:22.399999618530273px;">’.</span>

I don't get your point.

Cite and kite are two different words with different spellings and different pronunciations. Site is pronounced the same as cite but has a different meaning. So what letter do you propose to replace 'c' in cite as it can't be 's'?
  • Reply 72 of 95
    I don't get your point.

Cite and kite are two different words with different spellings and different pronunciations. Site is pronounced the same as cite but has a different meaning. So what letter do you propose to replace 'c' in cite as it can't be 's'?

In American English cite and kite are prononced* the same. At least I do. If you pronounce* them the same they have the same phonemes.

* Removed the letter 'u' for [@]Lorin Schultz[/@]. ????
  • Reply 73 of 95

Site is pronounced the same as cite but has a different meaning.

So?

So what letter do you propose to replace 'c' in cite as it can't be 's'? 

Either S or K, depending on the pronunciation. Kookies, osean, thrise, kar.

• Reply 74 of 95
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I don't get your point.

In American English cite and kite are prononced* the same. At least I do. If you pronounce* them the same they have the same phonemes.

* Removed the letter 'u' for [@]Lorin Schultz[/@]. ????

Lol at 'u'!

Oh, I'm surprised that they're spoken the same in American. 'Cite' is pronounced 'site' over here.

I'm pretty sure you say 'excited' the same way as us! And 'excellent.' 'Facile.' 'Accentuate.' 'Accent.' 'Accord.' 'Chord.' 'Dice.' 'Nice.' 'Lice.' 'Licence.' 'Censure.' 'Plaice.' 'Ace.' 'Mace.' Etcetera. ????
  • Reply 75 of 95
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

I sure wish they would offer a quad core 13".

Having had 15" MBP, it really is unnecessarily large for a laptop. 13" is a good size.

• Reply 76 of 95
    Oh, I'm surprised that they're spoken the same in American. 'Cite' is pronounced 'site' over here.

Huh. Your sentences seem to be at odds with other since I see the letter combination of site as being prononced the same as cite, but I checked the New Oxford American Dictionary, 3rd Edition (aka: Mac dictionary). We definitely do prononce it differently.

American English:
    • cite |s?t|
    • site |s?t|
    • sight |s?t|

British English:
    • cite |s??t|
    • site |s?t|
    • sight |s?t|
  • Reply 77 of 95

Huh. Your sentences seem to be at odds with other since I see the letter combination of site as being prononced the same as cite, but I checked the New Oxford American Dictionary, 3rd Edition (aka: Mac dictionary). We definitely do prononce it differently.

American English:
    • cite |s?t|
    • site |s?t|
    • sight |s?t|

British English:
    • site |s??t|
    • site |s?t|
    • sight |s?t|

I'm not sure what you're saying. All the words you listed are pronounced the same way in English.
  • Reply 78 of 95
    I'm not sure what you're saying. All the words you listed are pronounced the same way in English.

• Reply 79 of 95

I guess that means a different pronunciation, but I don't read phonetics. What I do know is that all six words are pronounced the same way in English. Perhaps it's different in American.
  • Reply 80 of 95
    Perhaps it's different in American.

As noted by the OAD3, the only difference is in British English with the word cite not being prononced like the other two, whereas in American English they are all the same… which I think was [@]Tallest Skil[/@]'s point.