Apple manufacturing costs spike to highest-ever levels, seen signaling huge 'iPhone 6' & 'iWatch' la

Comments

• Reply 21 of 93
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

it what the market wants. so obvious.

How many times do we have to tell you that you’re lying before you’re banned for trolling?

i thought you would know this already since you are a global moderator

I’m guessing 14 more.

• Reply 22 of 93
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Huh?
  • Reply 23 of 93
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NormM View Post

Tablets had been on sale for a decade before Steve sat down with the iPad.

And of course music players were old news when the iPod debuted.  Apple isn't worried about others coming out with smart watches first.  They just want to make sure whatever they come out with is good.

its both. the improvements to old-school tablets and Mp3 players both were remarkable and certainly warranted secrecy. the old-school tablets werent even capacative multitouch, they sucked.

• Reply 24 of 93
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

everything is connecting

you don't think it took R&D cost to produce the 5.5?

Yes it did...extra R&D cost to produce a protrude camera

and thick antenna bands as well..yup. Well, at least the new leak shows the bands got thinner.

• Reply 25 of 93
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Apple is on a 2 year cycle.

4/4S
    5/5S

1) No they are not. They have done yearly releases and they have kept the same exterior casing design for two years for most of their releases. None of this is set in stone, as noted by the iPhone 5C replacing the iPhone 5. There is absolutely no reason they couldn't have released a 4" 5S last year as well as a 5.5" model as well. Your trying to force your desire to fit a narrative.

2) Speaking of yearly releases, if I said to you in January 2011 that the next iPhone wouldn't be launched in June I would have been correct, but since every other iPhone before that was released in June and since I HAD NO PROOF why should you listen to my ramblings on the matter, especially if I couldn't make a sound argument to support my position. I would have been no more luckier than guessing the next dice role at the craps table but that doesn't make me clairvoyent.

I am?
  • Reply 26 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

According to your statement the hunger was also there last year but there was no 5.5" iPhone last year. Why not?

That's actually a very interesting question.  If we were to assume 5.5 ends up happening, I'd be very curious to know the internal process and conversations that led to the decision (a wish ne'er to be granted, I know - but one can wish).

That's the bittersweet nature of this Apple - we can't have the nice things AND see how company ticks (mostly).

• Reply 27 of 93
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    According to your statement the hunger was also there last year but there was no 5.5" iPhone last year. Why not?
    I thought the smart people here said we didn't get a larger screen phone before this year because this revolutionary display technology wasn't ready yet.
  • Reply 28 of 93
    That's actually a very interesting question.  If we were to assume 5.5 ends up happening, I'd be very curious to know the internal process and conversations that led to the decision (a wish ne'er to be granted, I know - but one can wish).

That's the bittersweet nature of this Apple - we can't have the nice things AND see how company ticks (mostly).

I think both are very likely to happen this year. Perhaps there is some technology that simply wasn't feasible last year, or it could be that they had set their goals so far in advance that the 4" was the only way to go then, or even their accounts saying they need to hold off so they can squeeze the R&D from the 4" model longer.

My guess is new technologies that would make this happen. If Gruber's prediction of a 461 PPI display for the 5.5" model is correct then we're looking at a lot of pixels. That's 2208 × 1242, which is very close to the Retina iPad which is 2048 ×1535. Obviously Apple has the technology to run that display but you need to make sure the power usage isn't so high that you need a battery that isn't too large. Then there is cost. That's just the display and I can think of a half dozen general categories of concern.

Personally, I'm hoping we see a digitizer in iDevices soon. I think that would be a great feature for the iPads as well as the 5.5" device. Of course this HW mention also includes the SW and APIs to make this a breeze for developers to support.
  • Reply 29 of 93
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

I think both are very likely to happen this year. Perhaps there is some technology that simply wasn't feasible last year, or it could be that they had set their goals so far in advance that the 4" was the only way to go then, or even their accounts saying they need to hold off so they can squeeze the R&D from the 4" model longer.

My guess is new technologies that would make this happen. If Gruber's prediction of a 461 PPI display for the 5.5" model is correct then we're looking at a lot of pixels. That's 2208 × 1242, which is very close to the Retina iPad which is 2048 ×1535. Obviously Apple has the technology to run that display but you need to make sure the power usage isn't so high that you need a battery that isn't too large. Then there is cost. That's just the display and I can think of a half dozen general categories of concern.

Personally, I'm hoping we see a digitizer in iDevices soon. I think that would be a great feature for the iPads as well as the 5.5" device. Of course this HW mention also includes the SW and APIs to make this a breeze for developers to support.

So make the larger iPhone the premium 4K device, or do you think all models of iPhone 6 will need 4K capabilities?

• Reply 30 of 93
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

I very much understand secrecy and "no comment" from AAPL regarding product upgrades and releases, iPhone in particular. You can't tell people "a new, better one is coming" because they won't buy what is on the shelf.

But in the case if iWatch/iTime, this makes less sense. Cook says AAPL is "deeply interested" in wearables, and thus acknowledges that these products exist. It would seem to me that AAPL would want to show off their product as soon as the form is settled on and that they really are going to do it. Since this is a new product - indeed a new product category for them - they would want to build the buzz and make the consumer tarry a moment before buying the competition.

I wonder if we will see a teaser like the MacPro video last year? I would rather expect iWatch/iTime to have a different ad campaign. 

Still, the same was true of iPad - the sooner you tip your hand to your competitor, the easier it is for them to catch up. But "smartwatches" are actually out there for sale, unlike iPads where were when Steve first held one up (then sat down in his chair to play with it in front of us all...)

Time will tell. (!)

Hardly.

Smartphones had been around for years before the iPhone.

Tablets had been around years before the iPad.

• Reply 31 of 93
    The chart made by Apple where the concluded they needed to make larger phones was done on March 2013.

Do you seriously think they could have produced a 5.5 inch phone in less than 6 months?  Really?

You really aren't comprehending what I write, are you?
    It just makes logical sense.

If only you had been using the normative phrasing, "I think a 5.5" makes logical sense," but you haven't been. You've been making positive statements that you claimed are factual despite showing no proof.
  • Reply 32 of 93
    "My view continues to be that the iPhone 5 has the absolute best display in the industry, and we always strive to create the very best display for our customers," Cook said. "We wouldn't ship a larger iPhone while these tradeoffs exist."

And where does he state, "We will release a 5.5" iPhone in 2014."?

PS: If he had said that it wouldn't be proof it would happen, only that it's proof that he said it would happen.
  • Reply 33 of 93
    WTF is a Mogul Globerator.

Its very misleading

1) It's a joke.

2) If you'd like to look up the words mogul and gab then be my guest.

3) I can see how if one is dyslexic and/or isn't a good reader of English it might appear to say something else, but I assume that nearly everyone releases that Mogul Gaberator doesn't say Global Moderator. Besides, the moderator and admin labels are very different.
  • Reply 34 of 93
    There were a million reasons they could not release a 5.5 model last year and you know it.

If others can release a larger smartphone then why is then impossible for Apple to do it? They chose not to.
    First of all Apple only realized large phones were a threat at March2013 (earliest confirmation we have)

:sigh: You can't reasonably say that Apple only realized something and then say, well, that's the earlier confirmation we have. You have shown no evidence that you what and when they realized anything.
    So Apple only had 6 months to design a larger phone, line up tens of millions of parts, retool the machines, get new vendors for larger screens.....ect,ect.ect.

Again, no idea where you're pulling that from.
    Add to the fact that Tim Cook himself said the tech was not ready for a large screen iPhone that was up to their standard.

That's the only fact you've stated so far. Cook said something. Great! CEOs say a lot of shit. Sometimes they to backpedal. We've already seen Dark Mode for Yosemite move to only the Dock and Menu Bar, and Tiger never came with Resolution Independence.
  • Reply 35 of 93
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Its very misleading

Not if you’re paying attention.

I'm not the first nor the last who thought you were a global moderator.

No, you’re the third. I vaguely remember mentioning when I gave it to him that if it led to a rash of misunderstandings I’d drop it, but in... what, two years? one year? there haven’t been enough of those to be worth it.

• Reply 36 of 93
    I'm not the first nor the last who thought you were a global moderator.

No, you're not, but my concerns about that still hold true. Case in point, see below.
    Connect. The. Dots.

If your reading comprehension was better you'd not have made that statement.

Off topic: When someone smartly tells me to connect the dots I can't help but want to tell them to connect their synapses, but that would just sound mean so I refrain.
  • Reply 37 of 93
    Quote:

Quote:

1) No they are not. They have done yearly releases and they have kept the same exterior casing design for two years for most of their releases. None of this is set in stone, as noted by the iPhone 5C replacing the iPhone 5. There is absolutely no reason they couldn't have released a 4" 5S last year as well as a 5.5" model as well. Your trying to force your desire to fit a narrative.

There were a million reasons they could not release a 5.5 model last year and you know it.

First of all Apple only realized large phones were a threat at March2013 (earliest confirmation we have)

So Apple only had 6 months to design a larger phone, line up tens of millions of parts, retool the machines, get new vendors for larger screens.....ect,ect.ect.

There was no way on earth they could have done it.   Add to the fact that Tim Cook himself said the tech was not ready for a large screen iPhone that was up to their standard.

You make it sound as though Apple plan from day to day. We know that the iPhone and iPad were planned years in advance of their release; I see no reason to believe that that isn't still the case. Most importantly, you take Apple for complete cretins, which is an insupportable position, in view of the extraordinary success they've had since 2007, both in terms of numbers of devices sold, and also revenue and profits realised. 

• Reply 38 of 93
    It's time to bring out the facepalms.
  • Reply 39 of 93
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Its very misleading</span>

Not if you’re paying attention.
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">I'm not the first nor the last who thought you were a global moderator.</span>

No, you’re the third. I vaguely remember mentioning when I gave it to him that if it led to a rash of misunderstandings I’d drop it, but in... what, two years? one year? there haven’t been enough of those to be worth it.

Just gotta' post something ... See if he picks up on mine (inspired by Sol).
  • Reply 40 of 93
    All this talk about a 5.5" iPhone is just so passé ...

What Apple is spending $Billions for is to tool up manufacturing for the penultimate wearable ...

[I]the iBeacon Vibrator![/I]