Apple announces Sept. 9 event for expected 'iPhone 6' & 'iWatch' unveiling: 'Wish we could say more'

Comments

• Reply 141 of 317
    mstone wrote: »

mstone wrote: »
    Good to see Apple using a proper date format. /s

Shouldn't it be: 2014.9.9 ?
    No, not with dots without leading zeros. We only use the Y-m-d H:i:s format for computing.

AIR, Europeans use the:  yyyy.mm.dd  format -- but maybe that's only the French being, well ... French :)

I'd like to see something in Cyrillic or base 12!
  • Reply 142 of 317
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Maybe nobody in Apple can actually pronounce "more".
  • Reply 143 of 317
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

The invitation is all white, which obviously suggest a medical component... (I'm just gettin' started here, folks)...

• Reply 144 of 317
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

I think you are all correct about the shadow. It says 10 AM as a sundial. But why use that metaphor?

A) It's a watch

B) It is powered by the sun (leaf + light)

C) It overshadows what has come before

D) It's a revolutionary new device like the watch revolutionized time telling beyond the sundial.

E) Does the "please arrive early" portion set anyone off? Big event sure, but that could be something...

I felt kind of weird about the "please arrive early" part too... Of course, there will be tons of people at the event and arriving early gets everyone in, but it just hit me in a strange way. 

• Reply 145 of 317
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,226member

The clue in the invitation is likely just the giant Apple, signifying the big iPhone(s) to be announced. (No iWatch?)

• Reply 146 of 317
    jkichline wrote: »
    I think you are all correct about the shadow. It says 10 AM as a sundial. But why use that metaphor?

A) It's a watch
    B) It is powered by the sun (leaf + light)
    C) It overshadows what has come before
    D) It's a revolutionary new device like the watch revolutionized time telling beyond the sundial.
    E) Does the "please arrive early" portion set anyone off? Big event sure, but that could be something...

E -- Hot Air Balloon rides
  • Reply 147 of 317
    asdasd wrote: »
    Maybe nobody in Apple can actually pronounce "more".

... Old Rusty Warren Joke:  "The only time I say 'no' is when they ask me if I've had enough."

Now, about that Swift clang/llvm thing ... Oops, sorry ...
  • Reply 148 of 317
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

This may have been said already, but it's interesting that the position of the light source (on the invitation) would be 10 on a clock, and coincides with the shadow of the leaf.  Not saying it means anything, just attention to detail if nothing else.

• Reply 149 of 317
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    Do you really think they’d just shoehorn everything into one event? It’s the iPhone event.

They must be shoehorning something else in besides the iPhone. The iPhone 6 alone wouldn't need what they're doing with the event preparations. They do tend to have a separate Mac/iPad event later on in October but maybe they've decided to do them both together this time. I think it would be better to do them together because they don't have to talk about minor features for so long.
  • Reply 150 of 317
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why do they need the Flint Center which seats 2,400 to announce new iPhones? Last year they announced the 5s at the campus venue which seats 300.

Because the 8th iPhone isn’t the 7th iPhone. The tock revision is always less impressive than the tick.

• Reply 151 of 317
    roakeroake Posts: 821member

That's what you said the first time...

• Reply 152 of 317
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Marvin wrote: »
    They must be shoehorning something else in besides the iPhone. The iPhone 6 alone wouldn't need what they're doing with the event preparations. They do tend to have a separate Mac/iPad event later on in October but maybe they've decided to do them both together this time. I think it would be better to do them together because they don't have to talk about minor features for so long.
    Well if all we're getting for macs and iPads is minor upgrades then no point in showcasing them at an event at all. I'd prefer it if they had their own event because we were getting more than just minor features.
  • Reply 153 of 317
    Because the 8th iPhone isn’t the 7th iPhone. The tock revision is always less impressive than the tick.
    I think the 5s was more impressive than the 5.
  • Reply 154 of 317
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

The excellent limbless monkey line isn't a simile. Simian, yes, but not a simile.

Dammit, busted. I know it's not a simile, but I'll be damned if I could come up with a word that describes what it is, so I used something "close enough" to convey the point. So, quiz for @rtdunham: If it's not a simile, what IS it?

BTW, LOL @ "simian!"

• Reply 155 of 317
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Well if all we're getting for macs and iPads is minor upgrades then no point in showcasing them at an event at all. I'd prefer it if they had their own event because we were getting more than just minor features.

We'll know soon enough (some will say it can't arrive fast enough). With the additional seating capacity, Apple definitely wants to get the word out fast.

• Reply 156 of 317
    jwyattjwyatt Posts: 93member

that's not funny

• Reply 157 of 317
    Quote:

Why do they need the Flint Center which seats 2,400 to announce new iPhones? Last year they announced the 5s at the campus venue which seats 300.

Because last year was a "tock" (S version) and this year is a "tick?" Next year they can use a smaller venue again?

EDIT: @Tallest Skil beat me to it.

• Reply 158 of 317
    jwyattjwyatt Posts: 93member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

• Reply 159 of 317
    Quote:

Quote:

Click QUOTE under the post to which you're responding. Click the little Pencil icon in the lower left of your own post to edit it.

• Reply 160 of 317
    Because last year was a "tock" (S version) and this year is a "tick?" Next year they can use a smaller venue again?

EDIT: <a data-huddler-embed="href" href="/u/78766/Tallest-Skil" style="display:inline-block;">@Tallest Skil</a>
     beat me to it.
    Still doesn't explain why Flint which is larger than any venue they've used outside of WWDC (and macworld). You don't need to invite 2,400 media and construct a large building if all you're announcing is a new phone with bigger screen.