Apple's mysterious 2-story structure at site of Sept. 9 event drives frenzy even further

Comments

• Reply 21 of 131
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So what could that building be? Simply because there is no room outside the auditorium for 2,300 people to look at the devices? Could it be a demo home for HomeKit-compatible equipment? Something else?

It's definitely intriguing. Maybe U2 puts on a post-announcement concert?

• Reply 22 of 131
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That’s an idea: it’s a full-scale mockup of a house with Apple’s wise home tech integrated into everything–lights, appliances, television, etc.

And Siri looked upon it and it was good.

• Reply 23 of 131
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

It's for Apple to show off the best pipeline 25 years. ;-)

A giant one...with skateboarders!

• Reply 24 of 131
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    iDrones. Heard it here first.

Giant enclosed flight space.
  • Reply 25 of 131

Can we get someone over there with a nice zoom lens please!

• Reply 26 of 131
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    It temporarily hides the mausoleum where Steve Jobs' body is preserved under glass. The body will eventually be placed in the centre park of the new apple spaceship headquarters, so eventually when it is complete and ready for the journey to Ceti Alpha V. Jobs' body will be ready for the observation deck.

Or, alternatively, it might just be a site to show off home automation, lots of cool indoor sports games in a carnival set up to show off healthkit, a bank of TVs with a matching bank of lounges to play games with the updated AppleTV, and a brace of really cool cars to drool over and incidentally show off carplay.
  • Reply 27 of 131
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    rogifan wrote: »
    It's for Apple to show off the best pipeline 25 years. ;-)

I'm more excited by the prospects of what Apple will announce on the software side. As far as hardware there's not much Apple can do to blow people away.

For software, though, Apple has the opportunity to blow everyone out of the water with their payment solutions, as well as, health, home, and auto interconnectivity with iOS.
  • Reply 28 of 131

It can't just be an area for journalists to play with new toys.  If all they needed was a showroom, there are plenty of other venues that can provide an auditorium AND a showroom.  No, this is a custom-built enclosure, for something you just can't do in most showrooms. Even a convention centre would have a hall large enough for a full-scale home to be constructed inside. But for some reason, Apple needs to build a big box. They wouldn't be doing it without a reason.  In 2 weeks it will be obvious.  Meanwhile, consider it to be a gigantic, wrapped Christmas present waiting for the day.  :)

• Reply 29 of 131
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Isn't it obvious?  Dr. Dre is holding an after party in there.

• Reply 30 of 131
    Does anyone know whether it's already happened that people have begun standing in line for Apple products before they're even announced? I wouldn't be surprised if it has, but I also suspect that once it happens once it'll happen regularly.
  • Reply 31 of 131
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Sounds like there might be more going public than yet-another iPhone and an iWatch.

If I were to guess, that structure is for a host of vendors who have new hardware or software for the health and sport features Apple will be pushing. They'd want ample 'hands on' space, so Apple is providing it for them.

If so, Apple will probably leak or go public with that in advance to attract a wider-than-usual audience. Mac media might want to be ready with fitness and medical resources there or on-call.

Developing radically new uses for iPhones will allow Apple to add value and stay ahead of competitors such as Samsung.
  • Reply 32 of 131
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    It can't just be an area for journalists to play with new toys.  If all they needed was a showroom, there are plenty of other venues that can provide an auditorium AND a showroom.  No, this is a custom-built enclosure, for something you just can't do in most showrooms. Even a convention centre would have a hall large enough for a full-scale home to be constructed inside. But for some reason, Apple needs to build a big box. They wouldn't be doing it without a reason.  In 2 weeks it will be obvious.  Meanwhile, consider it to be a gigantic, wrapped Christmas present waiting for the day.  :)
    Perhaps this is one of Paul Deneve's special projects. ;-)
  • Reply 33 of 131
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That’s an idea: it’s a full-scale mockup of a house with Apple’s wise home tech integrated into everything–lights, appliances, television, etc.

This was my initial thought. "Wish we could say more" could very well mean more advancements in voice activation/Siri tech too. 

• Reply 34 of 131
    I'm guessing this was built to demonstrate the benefits of health kit with various activities and sports monitoring sensors. Who knows, maybe Kobe will be there to show how it analyzes a jump shot. Maybe there will be a dunk tank, where you can throw Fire phones at the target to dunk people wearing the iWatch (edit: which I think is going to be called iPod).
  • Reply 35 of 131

I have a feeling even this structure has been iteratively prototyped and exhaustively tested for fitness of the purpose it will serve at the event.  It's so nice to see people who care.

• Reply 36 of 131
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Must be the Tesseract (aka Cosmic Cube) containment building.
    Infinite power forever.
  • Reply 37 of 131

Jim Dalrymple tweet + stock bybacks + general confidence of management  + 'best pipeline in 25 years' comment + larger capacity venue (and one of historical significance to apple) = THE BEST APPLE PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT DAY OF ALL TIME?! And I might be trying to read into it, but could 'wish we could say more' also be in reference to a vastly improved Siri like was rumoured before WWDC rather than them just implying their eagerness to show us stuff? 

• Reply 38 of 131
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Isn't it obvious?  Dr. Dre is holding an after party in there.

Additional room for twerking classes with Miley Cyrus.

• Reply 39 of 131
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

It certainly looks like Apple will unveil whatever the White Cube contains on the 9th.

Unlike those Google barges.  Whatever they were before they were scrapped.

LOL.

• Reply 40 of 131
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator

It sounds plausible but also not very interesting besides the TV. These sort of home automation products and health products can be made to sound interesting in marketing material but in everyday use, they're boring to interact with and the home products would require wiring them in, which nobody is going to do.

I reckon they are going to introduce a new category of product that will be an expected category but Apple is expecting that lots of people will want a hands-on so is providing enough space for everyone to try the new products out.