Apple has discussed charging 'around $400' for its wearable 'iWatch' - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 129
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I wouldn't call the iPhone a luxury. By luxury, I mean anything that is too unaffordable for the potential market for the iPhone. The iPhone is something of an anomaly as—like the iPad—it is the best a man can get. In most markets, the best is far out of reach of the common man. Hence $400,000 Ferraris and $1,000,000 watches.

But this article is about a $400 wrist-worn CE, not $400,000.

Indeed! But other posters made a reference to high-end watches and yourself a reference to the iPhone as a luxury item.

Ultimately, the question is: how many people will want to buy the iWatch at $400 and how often will they want a new one? I own an iPhone, an iPad and a Mac. Would I want to buy an iWatch every three years or so? Dunno. Maybe I’ll find out on 9th.

I find it hard to see a vital need for a wearable device at the moment. Apple may win me over. I used to wear a watch, and may start to wear my current one again; need to get the battery changed. I like not having anything on my arms now, though; it's liberating. Going from glasses to contacts was great; I'd never go back unless I had to.

Anyway, I'm excited to see what's coming; hope that Apple do a live feed like they did for WWDC.
  • Reply 22 of 129
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,645member
    People will only pay $400 if the $249 version just isn't cool enough for them.

I'm just about to pay another $300-400 for a new phone, so I don't really have $400 to spare for another accessory.
  • Reply 23 of 129
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

400? I will pass on that one.

Pass on what one?

You have no idea of what it is...

• Reply 24 of 129
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [quote name="Benjamin Frost" url="/t/182031/apple-has-discussed-charging-around-400-for-its-wearable-iwatch-report#post_2586926"]Ultimately, the question is: how many people will want to buy the iWatch at $400 and how often will they want a new one? I own an iPhone, an iPad and a Mac. Would I want to buy an iWatch every three years or so? Dunno. Maybe I’ll find out on 9th. [/QUOTE]

If CE adoption has taught us anything we do seem to purchase new ones to get the faster and better experience.

[QUOTE]I find it hard to see a vital need for a wearable device at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Is any CE really [I]vital[/I]?

[QUOTE]I like not having anything on my arms now, though; it's liberating.[/QUOTE]

I liked not wearing a watch after I got a cellphone because it was redundant, but my vision of a wrist-worn device from Apple does a plethora of things that an iPhone or iPad can't possible do. For this reason I would love to put a useful device on my wrist.
  • Reply 25 of 129
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    All I know is that in inclined to want one.
    I don't know what its going to do or how its going to look, but Apple has a history of not putting out junk...
    I haven't worn a watch for 20 years, but if this keynote hits just a few notes, I'll be early adopting!
  • Reply 26 of 129
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

People will only pay $400 if the $249 version just isn't cool enough for them.

Exactly. There will be a product line, not simply a single product. I would not be surprised if the iPod Nano and Shuffle went away, and were replaced by a $99 wearable/music-player with limited tracking ability. This would smash to bits the current $99-$125 low-end Fitbits and Jawbones.

Low end: starting at $99

Mid end: starting at $199 or $249

high end: starting at $349 or $399 and featuring the most tracking, sapphire, iPhone control, etc....

• Reply 27 of 129
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Fitbit Flex - $99.95 sensors: 3-axis accelerometer; battery life: 5 days

Nike+ Fuelband SE Gold - $149 sensors: ambient light, 3-axis accelerometer; battery life: 4 days

Jawbone UP24 - $149.99 sensors: 3-axis accelerometer; battery life: 7 days

LG G Watch - $229 sensors: 3-axis accelerometer, compass, gyroscope; battery life: 36 hours standby

Samsung Gear 2 $299 sensors: 3-axis accelerometer, gyroscope; battery life: 2-3 days (typical usage), 6 days (low usage)

Garmin tactix - $449.99 sensors: altimeter, barometer, 3-axis accelerometer, GPS, magnetometer; battery life: 50 hours (GPS mode); 3 weeks (sensor mode); 5 weeks (watch mode)

Polar V800 GPS Sports Watch - $519.95 sensors: altimeter, barometer, 3-axis accelerometer, GPS, heart rate monitor, temperature; battery life: 13 hours (training time), 50 hours (GPS low power mode)
  • Reply 28 of 129
    I think this is just a provocation—hoping for the usual suspects to go into foam-flecked paroxysms of rage, like they did about the thousand-dollar iPad ("And that's just to start! You just know that anything anybody actually wants will be at least $1500! Who does Apple think they are?! This is the greatest outrage in the history of civilization! I won't stand for it! This far and no farther!!!!")
  • Reply 29 of 129
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/47867/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

I strongly believe Apple will create a single iWatch with numerous options for bands. I believe that Apple discontinued the wildly popular iPod nano 6th generation due to the development of the iWatch.

I believe another option is a PAN of devices similar to offerings from Polar; activity monitor, heart rate monitor, watch - each an independent device augmenting a personal area network of the quantified self.
  • Reply 30 of 129
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/47869/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

In my opinion, Apple could simply add a few features to create the most compelling "smart watch" to augment the accelerometer in the iPod nano 6th generation
    Bluetooth 4.0
    altimeter
    ambient light
    barometer
    GPS
    gyroscope
    heart rate monitor
    magnetometer

The iPod nano 6th generation was already a compelling device in its time.
  • Reply 31 of 129
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    If this rumor is legit then this device isn't going to be an iPhone accessory.
  • Reply 32 of 129

Apple's prices for new products is almost always $100 more than what everyone wants it to be. Yet they sell every device they make by the millions.

• Reply 33 of 129

Seriously, the square iPod Nano has FM radio? I thought that came and went with the stick-of-gum Nano (Which I consider the greatest iPod ever.)
  • Reply 34 of 129

Rabble rabble rabble

• Reply 35 of 129
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

BREAKING NEWS: Price Unknown for Unknown Product

JUST IN: Commenters Commenting on Price Being Too High or Low for Unknown Product

That sounds about right. 

Remember this was the same crew that said the Apple Tablet would start at $800 and go as high as $1000 and be wifi only. 

That said, I think $400 or rather $399 could be the price point on one model. A 'high end' looking one. With perhaps a more 'low end' model that is $299. Think a similar gambit as the iPhone S and iPhone C. Sporty looking v luxury looking. 

I doubt there will be any difference in internals especially since it's not likely to do anything without a phone so it doesn't need massive storage or even that much RAM. Even the sensor data could be meant to be synced to a device every day so something like 4GB could be enough. 

• Reply 36 of 129
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

This thing better give lap dances for that price.

• Reply 37 of 129
    Apple's prices for new products is almost always $100 more than what everyone wants it to be. Yet they sell every device they make by the millions.

Not the iPad. The media predicted $1,000; Apple shocked everyone with $500.
  • Reply 38 of 129
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Wow, really cheap for all you get!
  • Reply 39 of 129
    Just to wander, most don't care for a smart watch, so why create a watch that is double an iPhone at base value(or 2/3rds off contract) while an IPad mini comes at same price, based on suspected hardware it could be $200, if it does come Saphire, etc. I still would expect it to be around $330, I guess it's possible but an android one that comes 1/2 or 1/3 the price can sound a lot more compelling.
  • Reply 40 of 129
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    cnocbui wrote: »

I was referring to this part of the article:

Derp. My bad. 8-)