Samsung officially unveils Galaxy Note 4, Gears S, and new Gear VR partnership with Oculus

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2014
With Apple's 'iPhone 6' and 'iWatch' announcement looming, Samsung attempted to upstage its rival's showing by revealing its latest Note phablet, a new Gear smartwatch with a built-in 3G modem, and a virtual reality headset accessory -- designed in collaboration with Oculus -- at an event in Berlin on Wednesday.

The Galaxy Note 4 comes with new 5.7-inch, 2,560-by-1,440-pixel Super AMOLED display as well as a new 16-megapixel camera system. The rear-facing shooter sports optical image stabilization, while a 3.7-megapixel front-facing camera allows users to take wide-angle selfies.

On the software front, the Note 4 adds a new "Multi Window" feature that allows users to open applications in smaller windows, overlaid on top of other applications. One demonstration during the announcement had Google's Hangouts app taking up the lower-left corner of the display while a user interacted with Facebook's app, which was full-screened behind Google's.

"The new Galaxy Note 4 introduces the most refined Note experience to-date by combining all the latest technology that users expect from the Galaxy series," Samsung mobile chief JK Shin said in a release.

Samsung's new Gear S smartwatch, meanwhile, moves away from the Gear line's traditionally flat display to a new, curved AMOLED unit. The entire device "wraps" more smoothly around the wearer's wrist, which Samsung argues makes for a better way to read notifications on the go.

The Gear S also sports a built-in 3G modem, meaning it can be used without being connected to a companion smartphone and users can make phone calls with the watch. The traditional Bluetooth tethering system remains available, however, and users can switch between connectivity options.

"The Samsung Gear S redefines the idea of the smart wearable and the culture of mobile communication," Shin said of the smartwatch. "It will let consumers live a truly connected life anywhere, anytime."

Finally, Samsung showed off the Gear VR, a Note 4-powered virtual reality headset. Users plug their Note 4 into the plastic hat, and special software turns it into a wireless virtual reality device that can be used for watching movies or gaming -- one demonstration puts viewers "on stage" during a Cirque du Soleil performance.

The Gear VR was designed in collaboration with Oculus, and famed graphics maestro John Carmack -- now CTO at the VR firm -- was on hand for Samsung's announcement.

"We are thrilled to reveal the Gear VR Innovator Edition, a state-of-the-art mobile VR experience powered by Oculus," Carmack said. "The deep technical partnership with Samsung has enabled us to create a virtual reality headset with world class resolution and performance, all on a completely mobile platform."

The Note 4 will be available in October, while the Gear S and Gear VR will be available "later this year." Pricing for the Note 4, Gear S, and Gear VR was not immediately announced.

Among the slew of companion products introduced alongside the new devices was a stylus by Mont Blanc, custom rear covers for the Note 4 from Swarovski and new HTC-like LED front covers for the same handset.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    There's going to be a lot of hurt feelings here.
  • Reply 2 of 84

A VR headset adapter? Didn't see that coming. (pun intended) That will keep the Android and PC gamer crowd happy and proud. Did you see all those specs?!?! Yawn... 

• Reply 3 of 84
    The watch looks exactly like a tiny iPad melted onto a bracelet
  • Reply 4 of 84
    You forgot to mention the Edge!

Samsung's innovation is to cut part of the screen and angle it! It'll take the world by storm!!!11!*

* - currently Samsung apps only
  • Reply 5 of 84

How to tell if someone is a Samsung user:

• If they’ve committed suicide by walking around with a VR headset on, they’re a Samsung user

• No taste

• Reply 6 of 84
    Introducing the new Samsung Yawn.
  • Reply 7 of 84
    Not a single thing that I'm remotely interested in purchasing.
  • Reply 8 of 84
    How to tell if someone is a Samsung user:
    • If they’ve committed suicide by walking around with a VR headset on, they’re a Samsung user
    • No taste

Or
    • Got kicked in the head by a Cirque du Soleil performer
  • Reply 9 of 84
    oh my gawd, you got the scoop on the new iPhone etc a week earlier. so -- oh wait that's Samsung, not Apple.

Hard up for page hits that you would play the whole "its relevant cause it could be an iPhone killer" gambit to explain why APPLEinsider is making something by Samsung page one news? Survey says yes.

I mean at least cover some discussion that actually ties the two together and makes it more than just a barfing up of what reads like a Samsung press release.
  • Reply 10 of 84
    Their new watch is being charitably called "fugly" and " like something a person under house arrest might wear".... LOL!
  • Reply 11 of 84

To me, the fake digital diamonds on the smartwatch display sums up what Samsung is all about.

• Reply 12 of 84
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    I don't see how any digital watch can deliver anything but a Yawn?
    However I still love and use my prior gen Nano which transforms into a watch.
  • Reply 13 of 84

What a joke. So they have a 32bit version in some countries and a 64bit version for others?

Even worse, it's going to be hilarious when a dual core A8 64bit processor outperforms an 8 core Exynos 64bit processor.

• Reply 14 of 84
    pazuzu wrote: »
    I don't see how any digital watch can deliver anything but a Yawn?
    However I still love and use my prior gen Nano which transforms into a watch.

Based on your comments it's because your thinking is so far inside the box that you can't even tell you're in the box.
  • Reply 15 of 84
    Hey look! John Carmack can occasionally talk in memorized marketing drivel. He normally opens his mouth and something amazingly, abstrusely technical comes out.
  • Reply 16 of 84
    formosa wrote: »
    To me, the fake digital diamonds on the smartwatch display sums up what Samsung is all about.

Those are 4th generation fake diamonds which have bigger specs and higher benchmarks then last year. Those diamonds enable a smart, always-connected digital lifestyle.
  • Reply 17 of 84
    But Shamesung fanboys said that the iPhone 5s design was old and boring, lol
    The only thing intersted i see from that is the S-pen it kinda reminds me of Newton Message Pad - Pen
  • Reply 18 of 84
    Dreck.

I forgot their announcements were today.

Over under on "SamsungInsider" type articles from AI this week? I'm setting the bar at three.
  • Reply 19 of 84
    What's unfortunate is the iPhone 6 5.5 inch if it does come out will be destroyed by the Note 4 with actually getting work done. I'm not talking about the silly rounded edge Note, but the Note 4. There are so many features that the Note series now carries that are actually geared toward getting things done which many people need/would prefer. Apples larger iPhone will just be that... the same iPhone we have now (obviously with hardware improvements) but just bigger so there won't be any thought on how to take advantage of the extra real estate to get things done... how do I know this? Because the iPad which is even bigger does nothing to take advantage of the extra real estate to get things done (the current state of the music app for iPad shows this). And I'm not talking about 3rd party app design, I'm talking the OS itself being designed in a way that takes advantage of the extra screen real estate and being designed with features to get things done. Multi select, split screen apps with data sharing between the 2, and other features where Samsung (samsung of all people) has thought through and given users the ability to do more. The lawsuit with Apple awoken the sleeping dragon and slowly but surely Samsung has been adding features to differentiate itself from the slavish copier it was (at least in terms of software). Copying is in their DNS so they have continued to copy other things and other companies. Gimmicks are also in their DNA, they continue to have gimmicky features that no one uses. However one thing is for sure, with every few gimmicks they introduce there is at least 1 feature that's actually useful that I wish Apple would adopt but probably never and more and more of those features are adding up.
  • Reply 20 of 84
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Based on your comments it's because your thinking is so far inside the box that you can't even tell you're in the box.

His opinion is based solely on form, and not on function. I believe even if and when Apple releases the iWatch its functions won't be fully realized until developers get their hands on it.