Apple's 'iWatch' to have two sizes, 8GB storage, multiple material & color options for 2015 launch -

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

As long as it comes with a USB and Thunderbolt connectivity I'm happy. 

You mean Giblets, right? An iWatch with a reversible USB and 8 Giblets.... Awesome!

I'm totally expecting iWatch to have a serial port as well. If it doesn't > epic fail !

• Reply 22 of 78
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

On an iPhone, iOS 8 beta 5 takes 8GB. I suspect the released version will take 6-7GB.

Wait! You're saying iOS 8 will take up about 6-7GB of storage space?

I find that extremely hard to believe when iOS 7 uses less than 3GB.

I'm going to guess the beta is a "catch-all" and is not optimized for each particular model like final releases are.

• Reply 23 of 78

For those of you that are wondering why the 8 GB of storage space is needed, consider the enhanced dictation space requirements on the Mac. Siri will be fully functioning on the watch without the need to process speech remotely.

• Reply 24 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

If they announce on 9/9/14 but don’t ship till 2015 that’s a big problem for me. It reminds me of Microsoft’s tactics of announcing vaporware in order to stifle a competitor’s sales. If they announce on 9/9/14 they better damn well ship within a reasonable period of time (weeks not months).

Two points. First, unlike some other vendors Apple is not really in the habit of announcing vaporware; anything they announce tends to come out. Second, it will by definition be several months before it can come out since it hasn't gone through FCC yet. Even if Apple is sitting on a stockpile of watches that are ready to sell, they can't do so until they have approval from the FCC, and they haven't submitted it to prevent the FCC from leaking its specifications early.

• Reply 25 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ultimatist View Post

For those of you that are wondering why the 8 GB of storage space is needed, consider the enhanced dictation space requirements on the Mac. Siri will be fully functioning on the watch without the need to process speech remotely.

Not to mention that they will want storage space for at least some apps. The device isn't a phone, but it is likely to integrate with various home automation services, Apple's new financial service, all the health stuff, and so on. Then there is the matter of alternate clock faces and so on~

• Reply 26 of 78
    I'm thinking this is kind of a smart dumb terminal for the iPhone. With that much storage, it could probably cache data without needing a network connection like BTLE.

Or, yes, this could all be bogus conjecture.
  • Reply 27 of 78
    fuzzypaws wrote: »
    Two points. First, unlike some other vendors Apple is not really in the habit of announcing vaporware; anything they announce tends to come out. Second, it will by definition be several months before it can come out since it hasn't gone through FCC yet. Even if Apple is sitting on a stockpile of watches that are ready to sell, they can't do so until they have approval from the FCC, and they haven't submitted it to prevent the FCC from leaking its specifications early.
    And likely they haven't stockpiled the devices as they may have to change something to get FCC approval. Unlikely, but still possible.
  • Reply 28 of 78

Announcing this product now, with delivery in 2015 is bad news for other other vendors who rushed their "smart watch" products to market. Apple's product will effectively freeze the market, and won't hurt any current Apple product sales, since they don't currently compete in the category.

• Reply 29 of 78
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Seriously, apart from RAM, I wasn't expecting it to have any storage at all. So I was wrong.

I pretty much assumed that if it has anything to do with fitness it will at the very least have storage for music.

• Reply 30 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You mean Giblets, right? An iWatch with a reversible USB and 8 Giblets.... Awesome!

Sounds like it's coming pre-loaded with Quake.

• Reply 31 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

On an iPhone, iOS 8 beta 5 takes 8GB. I suspect the released version will take 6-7GB.

Certainly, an iWatch will have less hardware to support (no GPS, cell radio, etc.?) smaller buffers, less sophisticated multitasking and device management ...

I suspect that iOS iWatch will take 3-4GB storage. That leaves 4-5GB for apps and data ... not too bad ... and the iPhone/iPad in your pocket/purse/backpack can be used for supplemental data storage for the iWatch (mail, messages, calendar, HealthKit, etc.).

Okay that does not make sense since Apple claimed that iOS 8 will work in the iphone 4 and they came in 8GB configs. I doubt apple will say it only works on the 16GB models 

• Reply 32 of 78
    fuzzypaws wrote: »

Tends to come out, sure, but new product categories have not come out right away.

Apple TV reveal: 12-SEP-2006
    Apple TV release: 21-MAR-2007
    Time between release: 175 days

iPhone reveal: 09-JAN-2007
    iPhone release: 29-JUN-2007
    Time between release: 171 days

iPad (WiFi) reveal: 27-JAN-2010
    iPad (WiFi) release: 04-APR-2010
    Time between release: 66 days

iPad (3G) reveal: 27-JAN-2010
    iPad (3G) release: 30-APR-2010
    Time between release: 93 days

And even for major revamps of an existing product category.

Mac Pro reveal: 10-JUN-2013
    Mac Pro release: 19-DEC-2013
    Time between release: 192 days

Only the iPod was announced and released on the same day but you need remember Apple's business was considerably smaller back then, had much fewer people scrutinizing every move they make, and was only available for Mac users. That simply isn't feasible today which is why we have leaks from China every year. Furthermore, if Apple wants to get various companies on board they will need some lead time to get everything ironed out.
  • Reply 33 of 78
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Munster is to Apple TV set as Kuo is to the iwatch. Any day now they might be right. Hahahaha.
  • Reply 34 of 78
    mjtomlin wrote: »
    I pretty much assumed that if it has anything to do with fitness it will at the very least have storage for music.

I like reading everyones take on what it can or may do! Tnx
  • Reply 35 of 78
    jungmark wrote: »
    Munster is to Apple TV set as Kuo is to the iwatch. Any day now they might be right. Hahahaha.

themunsterstvposter005.jpg
  • Reply 36 of 78
    mjtomlin wrote: »

Wait! You're saying iOS 8 will take up about 6-7GB of storage space?

I find that extremely hard to believe when iOS 7 uses less than 3GB.

I'm going to guess the beta is a "catch-all" and is not optimized for each particular model like final releases are.

Here's my 64 GB iPhone 5:

Oddly, my iPhone 5S shows .6GB less for OS 8 -- probably dropping 32-bit cruft.

In any case, this is a beta with lot's of extra code for debugging, etc. I suspect that the released version will be skinnied down quite a bit -- but don't have any idea how much,

Since we don't have a GM, I assume that there are things in the iOS8 to be shown on Tuesday that are not in the developer beta -- sophisticated payment/security capability, 2-up app display, drag and drop, stylus support, advanced 64-bit graphics support ...

It could well be that iOS 8 will run close to iOS 7 size on all current iDevices -- and be larger for new A8 iDevices -- which, likely, will have larger minimum storage.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

I've never bought a first gen product from Apple ever nor intend to begin with this iWatch. It will have to prove itself must-have-worthy within a year to get me interested in buying gen2 which will most likely be thinner, lighter and faster anyways.

Thats amazing. Please keep us posted on what Apple needs to do, for the possibility of getting you personally interested in their products, I'm on the edge of my seat here. I'm sure everyone at Apple is sweating night and day about "proving themselves" to you. 

• Reply 38 of 78
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Is it going to have a Lightning port for charging/restoring?

I imagine so. I just don't like the idea of taking it off every day to charge it. My iPod Nano watch did not last long with me for that exact reason.

• Reply 39 of 78
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Why on earth would an iPhone accessory that you wear on your wrist have storage for music?

Explain how that makes any sense at all.

• Reply 40 of 78
    Here's my 64 GB iPhone 5:

[image]

Oddly, my iPhone 5S shows .6GB less for OS 8 -- probably dropping 32-bit cruft.

In any case, this is a beta with lot's of extra code for debugging, etc. I suspect that the released version will be skinnied down quite a bit -- but don't have any idea how much,

Since we don't have a GM, I assume that there are things in the iOS8 to be shown on Tuesday that are not in the developer beta -- sophisticated payment/security capability, 2-up app display, drag and drop, stylus support, advanced 64-bit graphics support ...

It could well be that iOS 8 will run close to iOS 7 size on all current iDevices -- and be larger for new A8 iDevices -- which, likely, will have larger minimum storage.

Haven't we been over this many, many times?

You're taking the 64-bit BASE-10 capacity it's advertised as and then comparing that against the BASE-2 capacity that the OS displays. They sold you 64 billion bytes which is 59.60 GiB. The difference you see in capacity is your user capacity which is the 59.60 GiB value minus file system and OS.

When you're in an Apple Store look at a 16 GB model and you'll see that the difference scales exactly how I detailed above. You'll see a 12.2 GiB capacity available for the current iOS 8 beta, not 7 or 8 GiB gone for iOS. The maximum you have for a 16 GB iPhone is 14.90 GiB, which is 2.7 GiB for the file system and OS.