Apple's 'iWatch' to have two sizes, 8GB storage, multiple material & color options for 2015 launch -

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

it does have a lot of apps, and most of the data taken up by those apps are for graphics to support a 1080p interface with lots of options, not to mention the on-baord NAND is used to hold a buffered 1080p videos.I don't see a wrist-worn device needing any of that.

Unless Apple have something special that needs more storage space in the smart watch. One thing I see from Apple that they rarely include things that are not useful. So 8GB if it's true must have some goodies needed it. Can't wait to see.

• Reply 62 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Unless Apple have something special that needs more storage space in the smart watch. One thing I see from Apple that they rarely include things that are not useful. So 8GB if it's true must have some goodies needed it. Can't wait to see.

1) I agree, but what could that be? I'm not even sold on the idea of it being iOS-based considering the iPod Nano has had a touch screen for years without using iOS. Perhaps even the efficient iOS isn't efficient enough for a wearable. I could definitely see that happening.

2) My impression of an iWatch would have the data loaded to an iPhone, not have 3rd-party apps on the iWatch which then access biometric data. I also don't see music on the device for various reasons. So assuming the 8 GB rumour is true then what would all that data be used for? I'd think storing biometrics would be minuscule.
  • Reply 63 of 78
    I'm relieved to see a prediction by Kuo. I was worried that he'd stopped giving any.
  • Reply 64 of 78
    1.3": iTime Air. This is the consumer watch, and will be focused on games.

1.5": iTime Pro. This is the enterprise watch, and the roomier screen size will afford the ability to run Excel. There will also be split-screen functionality, so you can be working on your spreadsheet and watching Avatar at the same time.
  • Reply 65 of 78
    philboogie wrote: »
    and 512 megabytes of built-in memory

So now what? After displaying the little hand it needs to reload to show the big hand¿

Seriously, apart from RAM, I wasn't expecting it to have any storage at all. So I was wrong.

This is Apple; there'll only be one hand.
  • Reply 66 of 78
    lkrupp wrote: »
    If they announce on 9/9/14 but don’t ship till 2015 that’s a big problem for me. It reminds me of Microsoft’s tactics of announcing vaporware in order to stifle a competitor’s sales. If they announce on 9/9/14 they better damn well ship within a reasonable period of time (weeks not months).

Try reigning in some of that impatience; it'll do you good.
  • Reply 67 of 78
    malax wrote: »

3 would be better.  And a quad-core Snapdragon processor with discrete GPU. ;)

Now, you're talking! 

I was thinking 2GB would be the absolute bare-bones minimum - 4GB would rate a 'meh', and 8GB would be getting close.

Oh yeah? Wake me up when it's got 3TB storage and 128GB RAM; then you're talking. ????
  • Reply 68 of 78
    pazuzu wrote: »
    I've never bought a first gen product from Apple ever nor intend to begin with this iWatch. It will have to prove itself must-have-worthy within a year to get me interested in buying gen2 which will most likely be thinner, lighter and faster anyways.

Perhaps, but Apple are so rich now.

Think of how relatively poor they were at the advent of the iPhone, especially the iPod, and even the iPad. I imagine that their version 1.0 of the iWatch may be more like 2.0 or 3.0 of the iPhone.
  • Reply 69 of 78
    How long before Samsung bring out their supersized Galaxy Watch? Guess it'll be a new bastard category called Phatchlet.
  • Reply 70 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    I've never bought a first gen product from Apple ever nor intend to begin with this iWatch. It will have to prove itself must-have-worthy within a year to get me interested in buying gen2 which will most likely be thinner, lighter and faster anyways.

You're going to buy Gen 2 of a product you don't think exists and have no use for? Makes perfect sense¡
  • Reply 71 of 78
    solipsismx wrote: »
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Like the first iPhone?

And the first Apple TV. And the first iPad, both WiFI and 3G versions. And the Mac Pro.

Earlier, you stated that the iPad wifi came out a month earlier than the 3G version. I didn't recall that at the time; I thought they came out at the same time. Maybe the UK was different. I received mine in the post a day before it was available in the Apple Store, so I was quite chuffed.
  • Reply 72 of 78
    anome wrote: »
    Forgot to add:
    With Apple design chief Jony Ive reportedly confident of the so-called "iWatch's" chances when pitted against the famous Swiss watchmakers, a new report from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo suggests that Apple will offer its upcoming wearable -- which is unlikely to hit shelves before 2015 -- in at least two sizes with 8 gigabytes of internal storage and a variety of color and material options, including gold
    Two sizes. You know what that means?

5.5" iWatch is a certainty. Even a deaf aardvark could hear it coming.

Or even an aardvark with a blocked-up snout.
  • Reply 73 of 78

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

8GB is the same storage capacity in Apple TV. Did you see how many apps that Apple TV has? Plenty.

My point exactly.

But no, those aren't really "apps" like on iPhone / iPad.  They're bundled into the Apple TV app itself, which runs as an app on top of iOS on the Apple TV hardware.  And that's why Apple needs to be extremely picky about the "channels" they put on Apple TV.  (At least that's what a little birdie tells me.  Modulo NDA issues.)

Will be interesting to see if Apple puts games on the Apple TV.  I personally don't give a crap.  And how much money would Apple make on Apple TV games?  Have a big number in your mind?  Now compare that sum to the money they're poised to rake in by totally re-making the television experience in their own image.  With pay-for-play or "free with iAds".  Should be interesting.

• Reply 74 of 78
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I just had a thought. Is iOS still based on Leopard? Is it? Because iPhone OS 1 was; everyone knows that. Apple has just never mentioned any change to the base OS since then.
    What does tqhat have to do with anything?
    I ask because it wasn’t until Snow Leopard that Apple started properly reporting giga and <span style="line-height:22.399999618530273px;">gibibytes</span>
     in its OS. So could it be that iOS still shows “less” space than it actually has because the NAND’s gigabytes of storage are being read by the OS as gibibytes but reported to you as gigabytes? That’s how all versions of OS X did until 10.6 and how all versions of Windows still operate....
    The whole problem with the Giga vs Gibi is that it is a creation of the European communities desire to solve problems that don't exist. The industry ran fine for years understanding base two math and then all of a sudden we have to make sweeping changes because a fee ignorant people don't understand the industry and the associated technology.

Well, I have my iPod nano on my wrist with a Bluetooth dongle and it makes for a great watch and music system. 

You’re right, though.

The ultimate development would be the complete replacement of the cell phone with a watch. That is far off in the future mainly due to battery energy density problems. Electronically it is already possible to deliver the "Dick Tracy" style watch if you don't need it to function for a long time.

It will be real interesting to see what Apples concept is here. Will iWatch be a fancy fitness band or something that will be the fore runner of that "Dick Tracy" concept. I have to believe the ultimate goal is to repalce iPhone style cell phones.
  • Reply 75 of 78
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post

OMG, if iWatch doesn't have at least 2GB of RAM, I'm not going to touch it.

Just wait for iWatch2 in 2016

• Reply 76 of 78
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

1.3": iTime Air. This is the consumer watch, and will be focused on games.

1.5": iTime Pro. This is the enterprise watch, and the roomier screen size will afford the ability to run Excel. There will also be split-screen functionality, so you can be working on your spreadsheet and watching Avatar at the same time.

Here you go again. You're obsessed with the term "Air" and "Pro", aren't you?

• Reply 77 of 78
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Here you go again. You're obsessed with the term "Air" and "Pro", aren't you?

In before he replies, “Only because Apple is.”

• Reply 78 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

More specs but no hardware/software leaks. Smells fishy. Like halibut.

Yeah 8 GB memory seems like a lot. I can understand the RAM if it is to constantly monitor vitals and such so likely half the RAM will be dedicated to such activities. But it's not like you're going to be running Safari on it. Didn't the first iPad come with 512 RAM?

Worse than that. 256 RAM my friend... :(:(