Review roundup: Motorola's Moto 360 is the best smartwatch yet, but poor battery life is unacceptabl

Comments

• Reply 21 of 97
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    mrmichael wrote: »
    Bought a pebble watch. Screen kept going static break up. Battery life was pretty good. About 5 days. I hated it locking up n the screen going all static. Took it back after two days.

So, you took it back after two days, after finding that the battery lasted 5 days? Would you like to reconsider your story?
  • Reply 22 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, no... All you have to do is have an accelerometer that will turn the display on when it registers the watch being moved from right=down (left for lefties) to back=down. Boom.

I've never seen this concept implemented very well. Either the display fails to turn on when you want, or worse the display is frequently turning on (due to movement) but you didn't intend.

Also sometimes you want to glance down at a watch (to tell the time) without the need to move your arm.

• Reply 23 of 97
    I've never seen this concept implemented very well. Either the display fails to turn on when you want, or worse the display is frequently turning on (due to movement) but you didn't intend.
    Also sometimes you want to glance down at a watch (to tell the time) without the need to move your arm.

Those are all major concerns, and something I would expect Apple to work out before releasing a product. I'm just don't see that with other manufacturers… ever. It appears as if they make some determination that one aspect far outweighs another aspect of the product so they focus on it without any regard to how it affects the other which makes the product very unbalanced.
  • Reply 24 of 97
    Once again, Android Wear proved to be the Moto 360's most glaring weakness, providing "constant confirmation that this operating system was designed with rectangles in mind." Images and text were occasionally cut off on the Moto 360's round screen, Pierce noted, saying that the watch is "at its most basic, just a much more attractive way to see all the same notifications on your phone."

That's Android QA there for you. Amazing that Google / Motorola 'didn't think of' the implications of using a round display and showing apps that were designed for rectangular devices.

Many things can be said of Apple, but they always think how things are going to be used, how they work, they test stuff, they...ah, what's the use. Android users may very well say that this cutting of is logical, because the app wasn't designed for a round display...

Companies that don't think this stuff through are companies I avoid, and have zero 'respect' for.
  • Reply 25 of 97

I have a dream ....

One day I don't hear the name google and android crap!! AMEN! :smokey:

People, google is just a lousy search engine which sells Ads to make a living! WTF they can possibly do with technology to change our lives in better ways?!!

P.S. Yeah I know ... OFF TOPIC!

• Reply 26 of 97
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

So, what makes this watch "smart?" Something that needs to be charged twice a day sounds like a dumb buy.

In fairness- they took it to task and it was the only one that didn't last a full day.

The moral of the story is this is the best smart watch out there.  Until the 9th.

• Reply 27 of 97
    If Apple's watch does not have a black bar at the bottom of its screen, then it will fail miserably.
  • Reply 28 of 97
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roake View Post

A grid watch is fine if you're one of those types that enjoyed calculator-watched when you were younger (or even now), but square watches are ugly. I like the idea of a watch that doesn't scream, "nerd toy!" I prefer a watch that no-one would recognize as a smartwatch at first glance. I want their second glance to be in admiration of a stylish timepiece rather than for an internal chuckle at someone with what amounts to a modern day nerd badge on their wrist.

If I want higher-powered computing on the go, I'll pull out my iPhone. I guess, for a watch, I prefer form over function, although I imagine there will be plenty of function in Apples offering.

I know what you are saying, and I think I prefer a round watch, too, but there are lots of very nice classic rectangular watches out there and there are plenty round classic 'nerd' watches out there, too, with lots of 'features'. (Remember that the round form makes sense for a mechanical device with a dial. The function dictated the form which again dictated convention and I suspect, taste. But that no longer applies which would make a round iWatch a skeuomorph. My guess is that if the iWatch has a round form it won't stay that way over time. Nice to some, sure, but it makes little sense. And soon enough the round shape will look quaint. 

• Reply 29 of 97
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Well, this is Apple we’re talking about. Dual accelerometers for better accuracy.

Want to know the time but can’t be bothered to move any part of your body? Stare at the sun!

• Reply 30 of 97
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Wow, how the others are pushing out not ready products just ahead of Apple's new product announcements.

I can't see how it will help them if their products aren't ready yet.

But Apple will be helped buy comparing Apple's new products to this other POS trying to upside Apple.

• Reply 31 of 97

I said it before battery life is going to be a big issue with these devices. Grant it I believe Apple will do better than most on battery life since their power manage experience is far better than anyone else in the industry. However, the reviewer said something which I think I have the solution to. Yeah is runs low on battery and may not work as a smart device, but it should still be able to tell time for you.

Quote:

Stern was forced to charge the Moto 360 as much as twice a day, and there is no mechanism for using it as a watch --?smart or dumb --?once the battery runs dry.

Here is the solution and it already exist, and autowinder, there are watches today that will wind themselves as you move and others which will charge a small battery to keep the watch running it is is a quartz watch. I have owned both and I like them since you never have to worry about a dead battery in your watch. If apple could put one of these in it could allow the watch to work a watch until you can fully charge the battery.

• Reply 32 of 97
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I don't understand the attraction to 'round'. Isn't round the least practical shape for displaying digital info that often is required to be laid out in a grid? 

Not much mystery to it. People like round watches because traditional watches use dials to express the time, and a circle is a fundamental shape to our eyes. So, in the watch-as-jewelry world, especially on the male side, round watches are viewed as beautiful.

A smart watch is like a convergence of stars for watch fans who are computing fans, and they absolutely love round watch faces. The digital or smart aspects are not really the attraction right now other than the notional idea that it will be great. Nobody really knows what's useful or great about a smart watch other than telling the time. Everyone is waiting for a killer use case outside of telling time and acting as a piece of jewelry.

• Reply 33 of 97
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I like the Verge's advice to get this if you want a smart watch "today." Not, you know... wait 4 more days to see whether the Apple device everyone's chasing might appear and be less of a waste... image

Yeah.. strange advice. Remind me of why it's such a stink place.

• Reply 34 of 97
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

On the issue of battery life versus display, Pebble has, for the most part, succeeded. The display is always on, easily readable outdoors and indoors, and the battery life is 5 days. It does have far fewer functions than those anticipated for the iWatch, however.

Pebble uses an e-Ink or e-paper display, right? That means anything involving color or animation is out not possible on the Pebble?

Most of the Android Wear watches use LCDs or OLEDs which require a lot of power and therefore have runtime performance like cell phones, or devices that use those types of displays.

As for Apple's iWatch. Wait and see. I could see them delivering a device that needs to be charged every night to one that can last a month. It all depends on what it does, and there's very little info on that. If it is an OLED or LCD, 1 to 2 days is the most I'd expect.

• Reply 35 of 97

Well, no... All you have to do is have an accelerometer that will turn the display on when it registers the watch being moved from right=down (left for lefties) to back=down. Boom.

Since there is no need for 60Hz refresh display, I would prefer an always-on E-ink display: better visibility in sunlight and weeks of battery duration.
  • Reply 36 of 97
    disturbia wrote: »
    I have a dream ....

One day I don't hear the name google and android crap!! AMEN! :smokey:

People, google is just a lousy search engine which sells Ads to make a living! WTF they can possibly do with technology to change our lives in better ways?!!

P.S. Yeah I know ... OFF TOPIC!

When's the last time you had to look for a yellow pages?
  • Reply 37 of 97

John Gruber nailed it - Moto 270 (to account for the flat tire effect).

• Reply 38 of 97

Motorola's Moto 360 is the best smartwatch yet, but 12 hour battery life is unacceptable...

Just get two... ( ?° ?? ?°)

You can always have one on the charger ready to go...

• Reply 39 of 97
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Go google images of the Moto 360. Take a look at some of the images that show it from a partial side angle (you will be hard pressed to find any that show it directly from the side). Especailly look at the side angle images where it's on a person's wrist. A woman's wrist. That beast is THICK! It's spec says its 1/2" thick. A 1/2" watch sticking up from your wrist is huge, on any wrist. I cannot imagine any woman wearing this. and not very many men either. It's my sincere hope that when we see the iWatch everyone's first impression is that it is svelte in profile. If so, this Moto 360, barely released, will appear to be a relic of the past; a fat old brick of failed technology. One can hope. :-)
  • Reply 40 of 97
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Building a little pyramid from 250 one dollar bills and lighting it on fire would have more lasting value than this anemic toy. At least the ashes don't take up any space in your junk drawer. Not wanting to be rude or harsh but this entire product category is never going to make it beyond the extreme left edge of the early adopter part of the curve until somebody (Apple perhaps?) figures out how to make it truly useful and compelling product for everyday use that you don't have to tend to like a pet fruit fly. If it was Fisher-Price or Mattel I'd be more understanding, but Motorola? They used to build some really solid products with obvious utility.

Welcome another resident to The Island of Misfit Toys.