Apple reportedly adds CVS and Walgreens to list of mobile payment partners

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Just how is Google Wallet crap when it's going to work the same way with NFC? Plus, how was it stolen from PayPal when PayPal doesn’t use NFC?

Google Wallet's technology was stolen from PayPal and Google's implementation still sucks.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-05-26/paypal-sues-google-over-trade-secret-theft-claims.html

http://money.cnn.com/2011/05/27/technology/paypal-sues-google/

Watch and learn on Tuesday.

• Reply 22 of 66
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

This is funny as I just used my Google Wallet at Walgreens. The cashier was amazed. Told her she'll here about it a lot next week. Driving to Meijer now and will use it there as well.

I'd be amazed if I ever saw anyone even using Google Wallet at all.

Have seen the terminals at Starbucks, Peet's, and other stores.

Never seen a single person use any of them.

• Reply 23 of 66
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

... As has been said the NFC infrastructure is already there, and I believe Apple's iPhone 6 will be compatible with the existing NFC POS systems. What's lacking is the knowledge of the retail staff at these various places.

Agree.  Few if any have ever had to deal with Google Wallet transactions.

Except the Walgreen's in Mountain View.  Lots of Google weenies around the HQ campus.

• Reply 24 of 66
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Stupid question here. It looks like the whole NFC payment system is a near certainty. My wife is not interested in a larger phone screen. Is there any thought that the 5s or c could get a bump to include the NFC tech?
    I know Apple never does anything like that because they use new features to drive upgrades, but here is why it could be different this time:
    1) the new screen sizes (over and above the usual new chips and camera improvements and storage increases) will drive upgrades anyway and
    2) Apple wants to get the ball rolling quickly on their mobile payment system and adding some "old models" to the stream would only help.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member

would you need a new phone? wouldn't ibeacon and touch id work just as well

do you think system would be compatible with 5S??? 

• Reply 26 of 66
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    bageljoey wrote: »
    Stupid question here. It looks like the whole NFC payment system is a near certainty. My wife is not interested in a larger phone screen. Is there any thought that the 5s or c could get a bump to include the NFC tech?
    I know Apple never does anything like that because they use new features to drive upgrades, but here is why it could be different this time:
    1) the new screen sizes (over and above the usual new chips and camera improvements and storage increases) will drive upgrades anyway and
    2) Apple wants to get the ball rolling quickly on their mobile payment system and adding some "old models" to the stream would only help.

nofeer wrote: »
    would you need a new phone? wouldn't ibeacon and touch id work just as well
    do you think system would be compatible with 5S??? 

Although this system will not be compatible with the 5S, many believe the iWatch will also have NFC.

That means you could purchase an iWatch, keep your 5S, and still take advantage of apples new payment system.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Hell… My hope is that they release a "iPhone 5se" (or an iPhone 6 mini :???:)

Basically an upgraded 5s model.

The all new iPhone in 3 fabulous sizes - Tall, Grande, and Venti.

• Reply 28 of 66
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    blackbook wrote: »

Although this system will not be compatible with the 5S, many believe the iWatch will also have NFC.

That means you could purchase an iWatch, keep your 5S, and still take advantage of apples new payment system.

Or they might just exclude previous devices like they did with Siri
  • Reply 29 of 66
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Hell… My hope is that they release a "iPhone 5se" Basically an upgraded 5s model.

They are doing that. It’s called the iPhone 6.

• Reply 30 of 66
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

And it's CVS Health not CVS

To be correct, the corporate name is CVS Health, which was changed from CVS Caremark Corp.

The stores are CVS or CVS pharmacy.

• Reply 31 of 66

And the caller ID on my house phone speaks the name as “Kuvvs Farm-assy”.

• Reply 32 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Hell… My hope is that they release a "iPhone 5se" Basically an upgraded 5s model.

They are doing that. It’s called the iPhone 6.

Surprised. I've seen no reference to a 4" screen iPhone 6. But that would be awesome.

• Reply 33 of 66
    Walgreens. Great. Just after we switched our prescriptions to Rite-Aid.

I don't know where you guys live that you're seeing NFC terminals in Walgreens, but I've been in dozens of them here in the Puget Sound area and I've never seen one. I've never seen one anywhere, as a matter of fact, except as I said before, in a Jack-in-the-Box 6 or 8 years ago. Gathering dust.

I have no idea what CVS is, so can't comment on that.
  • Reply 34 of 66

It's the same type of entity as Walgreens and CVS. We have all three in my area and I prefer CVS.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    <em>AppleInsider</em> will be on hand for Apple's Sept. 9 event and readers can get real-time updates pushed to their iPhone and iPad via the official <a href="http://appleinsider.com/apps/ios/"><em>AppleInsider</em> app</a>.

Real time update through the app? Erm, no. Just push notifications that there's a new article. I'll use Apple.com thank you very much. Do hope that site won't go pear shaped if a billion people are going to connect to it. Not expecting 1080 here, but a stuttering 320 won't do.
  • Reply 36 of 66

I don't know where you guys live that you're seeing NFC terminals in Walgreens, but I've been in dozens of them here in the Puget Sound area and I've never seen one. I've never seen one anywhere, as a matter of fact, except as I said before, in a Jack-in-the-Box 6 or 8 years ago. Gathering dust.

I'll take a picture of it for you today. It's fully activated here and actually says Google Wallet on it.
  • Reply 37 of 66

Based in CVS's existing implementation, it'd be surprising if they were in on this.  They have a proprietary (insanely byzantine) app BUT no integration to Passbook as do Rite-Aid and Walgreens.  

Either they got religion on iWallet and figured there was no reason to pursue making their existing app a decent UI or Passbook, or someone's news nose needs some Vicks.  

Also when you hand them your Passbook at Rite-Aid (at least the dozen I've been to in NEngland) they look at you like you just handed them a live eel.  

• Reply 38 of 66
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    I think it's amazing how many people think that "Mobile Payments" means "NFC"!!!

Is there really nobody else on any of these forums that thinks that Apple may have come up with a completely different (and better) Mobile Payment solution that does not require NFC???

I don't just think it's possible - I think it's LIKELY! If Apple thought there was any chance at all that they would release an NFC based solution, they would have made that decision well over a year ago and the 5S and 5C would definitely have included NFC capabilities. The fact that the 5S and 5C do NOT have NFC coupled with the fact that the Mobile Payment solution is now ready for implementation is all the proof I need to convince me that NFC is NOT part of the Apple Mobile payment system. It will probably use iBeacon or some variation thereof and it will be immediately compatible with any iOS device supporting the BlueTooth low-energy profile - which includes the 5S and 5C.

It would be very un-Apple like to do anything else.

Oh - and the feature will not be called iWallet, it will be called "AirPay" and it will have a number of features that NFC based systems do not. It will be a near-instant success.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tenly View Post

I think it's amazing how many people think that "Mobile Payments" means "NFC"!!!

Is there really nobody else on any of these forums that thinks that Apple may have come up with a completely different (and better) Mobile Payment solution that does not require NFC???

I don't just think it's possible - I think it's LIKELY! If Apple thought there was any chance at all that they would release an NFC based solution, they would have made that decision well over a year ago and the 5S and 5C would definitely have included NFC capabilities. The fact that the 5S and 5C do NOT have NFC coupled with the fact that the Mobile Payment solution is now ready for implementation is all the proof I need to convince me that NFC is NOT part of the Apple Mobile payment system. It will probably use iBeacon or some variation thereof and it will be immediately compatible with any iOS device supporting the BlueTooth low-energy profile - which includes the 5S and 5C.

Oh - and the feature will not be called iWallet, it will be called "AirPay" and it will have a number of features that NFC based systems do not. It will be a near-instant success.

The 5S couldn't have had NFC because of the metal body. Apple had to redesign the chassis to make NFC work, hence why it's being released this year in the redesigned iPhone 6.

• Reply 40 of 66
    tenly wrote: »

I don't just think it's possible - I think it's LIKELY! If Apple thought there was any chance at all that they would release an NFC based solution, they would have made that decision well over a year ago and the 5S and 5C would definitely have included NFC capabilities. The fact that the 5S and 5C do NOT have NFC coupled with the fact that the Mobile Payment solution is now ready for implementation is all the proof I need to convince me that NFC is NOT part of the Apple Mobile payment system. It will probably use iBeacon or some variation thereof and it will be immediately compatible with any device supporting the BlueTooth low-energy profile - which includes the 5S and 5C.

1) Based on your comments if last year there was potential evidence of NFC you could just say it's not going to happen because it's not the iPhone 5. They have to include the HW, SW, and infrastructure at some point, so why do you think that it would have been in 2013 and not in 2014 or later?

2) iBeacon is not for payments! iBeacon is a specially designed protocol over Bluetooth Low-Energy.

3) It would be very un-Apple to not the most secure option for mobile payments.

4) How exactly are you so certain it will not be called iWallet and will be called AirPay? If you were making a guess or stating what you think sounds best that would be one thing but you clearly state what it will and will not be.