Apple's massive fall lineup reportedly causing shipping delays for other manufacturers

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Apple is reportedly securing dates for its upcoming fall shipments, expected to include new iPhone and iPad models, and the number of devices coming out of China is so large that major shipping companies are delaying orders from other device makers.

According to TechCrunch, Apple's preparations for the upcoming holiday quarter are already causing a logistics nightmare for companies like FedEx and UPS, which are reportedly strapped for capacity after seeing a flood of bookings.

Carriers are telling customers that shipments for a "very important customer" are causing them to miss promised deadlines, according to one unnamed company. With very few corporations in need of such immediate high-capacity services, and even fewer coming out of China's electronics manufacturing regions, Apple is thought to be behind the overflow.

Shipping companies have learned to plan for Apple's yearly refresh cycles. For example, FedEx in 2012 braced employees for "surge volume" reportedly attributed to the iPhone 5 launch. The batch of devices coming out of China this year, however, appears to be overwhelming.

Apple is expected to announce two new iPhone models at an event scheduled for Sept. 9, which is also said to feature the unveiling of a wearable "iWatch" device. While the iPhones are thought to ship later this month, the iWatch will likely hit store shelves in 2015.

The iPad line is also due for a refresh and recent rumors point to a mention at next Tuesday's gathering, though the announcement is far from confirmed. Last year, Apple held a separate event in October to launch the iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67

A story about delayed manufacturing that explicitly ISN’T Apple? I shifted dimensions again, didn’t I…

• Reply 2 of 67
    Well, no one is being forced to do anything. I suspect that Apple has contracted for a massive amount of space on the shippers vessels. Most likely the shippers get paid regardless of whether any merchandise is actually shipped. Any company willing to lay down the cash can do the same. That is one advantage of having billions of dollars just sitting around.
  • Reply 3 of 67

Yeah, cry me a river...

• Reply 4 of 67
    DATELINE: South Keora

Samsung announced today that while they have the capacity to produce product for the American Holiday market, they can not secure a sipping method that can get their product to the USA shores before the end of 2014. Carriers are telling customers that shipments for a "much more important customer" are causing them to miss promised deadlines.

Samsung's executives were told, "So solly Chalrie, you got iFrucked."
  • Reply 5 of 67
    This is classic Apple. When they set up supplies and shipping systems they do it with strict contracts that their stuff will be on time. If they say they want 20 million units of X on this date and you say 'no problem' it had better be no problem or you will not get a second chance. This is what Tim Cook was responsible for under Steve Jobs and Tim did it very very well. There are countless stories of other companies allegedly having issues getting this or that part cause Apple bought the first whatever off the lines and everyone else had to wait.

This time around I won't be shocked if it's the new mobile 802.11ac chips. it will be a huge coup for Broadcom to have announced those this past week and for Apple to have them in the iPhones and iPads cause they had already signed and sealed that deal and arranged to get them before the public knew they were ready.
  • Reply 6 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by balsy2001 View Post

Well, no one is being forced to do anything. I suspect that Apple has contracted for a massive amount of space on the shippers vessels. Most likely the shippers get paid regardless of whether any merchandise is actually shipped. Any company willing to lay down the cash can do the same. That is one advantage of having billions of dollars just sitting around.

Apple would never pay someone for not doing the job. it's not their style. UNLESS the failure is on them. 

You can bet that their deal is that on X to Y dates they need this shipping and they will get it. Period. Possibly even with conditions that no one else's stuff can be on those boats, in those planes etc. 

• Reply 7 of 67

Welp, looks like it's time for Apple to invest in it's own fleet of Philippe Starck designed air freightliners.

• Reply 8 of 67
    I spoke with someone last weekend who is in management with one of the big shipping companies. They have a close working relationship with one of the big 4 wireless providers (I won't drop names so as not to get them in trouble).

Said telecom provider considers the success of this product as "critical to the future of the company and their business relationship with us as a logistics provider."

So my acquaintance flying to the cell company's main headquarters to oversee the shipping function personally.
  • Reply 9 of 67

That's a hell of an Apple halo effect...

• Reply 10 of 67

What idiotic article is this?

How many iPhones get in 1 45'' container? 5.000?

50.000.000 units (over a quarter) = 10.000 containers

How many containers on a panamax? 5000?

You need 2 panamaxes to ship a quarters volume.

And someone trying to say that there isn't enough shipping capacity?

• Reply 11 of 67
    blitz1 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure they are all going by plane. I seem to recall with the original iMac Apple was able to get a deal that made it cheaper, and of course faster, to transport their products by air than to have them shipped by sea.
    Apple began innovating on the nitty-gritty details of supply-chain management almost immediately upon Steve Jobs’s return in 1997. At the time, most computer manufacturers transported products by sea, a far cheaper option than air freight. To ensure that the company’s new, translucent blue iMacs would be widely available at Christmas the following year, Jobs paid $50 million to buy up all the available holiday air freight space, says John Martin, a logistics executive who worked with Jobs to arrange the flights. The move handicapped rivals such as Compaq that later wanted to book air transport. Similarly, when iPod sales took off in 2001, Apple realized it could pack so many of the diminutive music players on planes that it became economical to ship them directly from Chinese factories to consumers’ doors. When an HP staffer bought one and received it a few days later, tracking its progress around the world through Apple’s website, “It was an ‘Oh shit’ moment,” recalls Fawkes.
  • Reply 12 of 67
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

This article is about air freight, not ship-based freight. Airplanes have less capacity than ships.

Apple is willing to pay a premium for overnight air freight from their suppliers in China to points all around the world, rather than putting their inventory on boats which might take a month to get to market.

Ship-based freight is great for sacks of rice, automobiles, etc., not as great for the hottest consumer electronics.

There's plenty of shipping capacity, but only a finite amount of air freight capacity, especially within a certain timeframe. UPS and FedEx only have a certain number of planes. Sure, you could pile a million iPhones on some slow boat, but it doesn't help the customers who want that device tomorrow.

In the same way, a road is designed for a certain amount of traffic. If a large number of people want to use it at the same time, you might get a traffic jam. The alternative is to make the road bigger, but at the risk of having it nearly empty for most of the time. 

For shipping companies, they typically resort to using contracted services to make up for shortfalls in peak seasons (like the holidays). 

• Reply 13 of 67
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    A
    blitz1 wrote: »

Apple ships by air!
  • Reply 14 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A story about delayed manufacturing that explicitly ISN’T Apple? I shifted dimensions again, didn’t I…

I should try that some time, shifting dimensions.

• Reply 15 of 67
    Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

I should try that some time, shifting dimensions.

The music in this one isn’t very good, but there’s variety. At least this United States has land across the continent. I’m still looking for the big one, though.

• Reply 16 of 67

I'll talk two days later thanks cool well a cabbage is one of those vegetables the kids overlooked when it  ultra ketone system  comes to weight losses far as when it was good as the cabbage is right up there with its cousins like broccoli cauliflower and brusselssprouts wondered why the cabbage has been useful white gauze is in the form of the cabbage soup delegates the camp each dole had is a Batman the eating the soup and your lips you can sham other foods with limited portions.

http://flawlessraspberryketoneproven.com/my-unbiased-review-about-using-ultra-ketone-system/

• Reply 17 of 67
    charlituna wrote: »
    Apple would never pay someone for not doing the job. it's not their style. UNLESS the failure is on them. 

You can bet that their deal is that on X to Y dates they need this shipping and they will get it. Period. Possibly even with conditions that no one else's stuff can be on those boats, in those planes etc. 

Well if Apple has payed a premium and pre-payed for the entire capacity, no other conditions would be necessary.
  • Reply 18 of 67
    The music in this one isn’t very good, but there’s variety. At least this United States has land across the continent. I’m still looking for the big one, though.

Please explain: land across the continent... and what 'Big One' you're looking for. Might be helpful before booking my next trip... :smokey:
  • Reply 19 of 67
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Yeah, when those iPhones come shipping via Fedex, it leaves the factory one day, gets to Hong Kong, and 8 or 10 hours later it's in Alaska. Then it goes to somewhere in the middle of the country, then it heads out west to me. Usually ends up at my door 3 days after shipping.
  • Reply 20 of 67
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by balsy2001 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

If it is actually for Apple products (most probable), I would not want to be the manufacturer(s) who could not supply the product in time for those shipments or the shipping company that couldn't handle those deliveries.