Apple finally kills off iPod classic after 13 years of service

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    I love my iPod classic, but I suppose it was inevitable.
  • Reply 22 of 50

Boo. There is no replacement for a large capacity iPod. I was hoping they would release a 240GB or larger iPod. 

• Reply 23 of 50

Just ordered two from MacMall, but they're already backordered.  They're expecting another shipment of about 30 or so of each color, so should still get them.  I've got several friends who've told me over the years that if they ever discontinue the iPod Classic, they'll go out and buy several.  Still a great device, especially for people with large music collections.  At least they bumped the iPhone up to 128GB now, but with all the Apps and other stuff I have on the phone, no way I can put all the music I want on it, and that's at 128 kbps.  

• Reply 24 of 50

Well, no 128GB option officially. Don't you think it's on the way since the iPhone now goes up to 11? Er, 128GB?

• Reply 25 of 50
    Originally Posted by Trubador View Post

And, yet… NO 128GB Touch option???

October event, perhaps.

• Reply 26 of 50
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    trubador wrote: »
    And, yet… NO 128GB Touch option???

*sigh*

The iPods will likely be refreshed in October along with the iPads.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich Gregory View Post

Well, no 128GB option officially. Don't you think it's on the way since the iPhone now goes up to 11? Er, 128GB?

Huh?  Didn't they just announce it today?  See last paragraph

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/09/apple-announces-iphone6-iphone6plus/

• Reply 28 of 50
    Damn, it's not like they don't have enough cash on hand to leave it available after switching to 256, 512GB and 1TB SSDs.. I'd still use my classic if they didn't stop playing whenever I walk more than a minute. And if they didn't have the stupid volume limit which means using an amp with big headphones.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Originally Posted by F1Turbo View Post

Huh?  Didn't they just announce it today? 

iPod touch.

• Reply 30 of 50

I believe the Classic will return in a few years, with added GB for high-resolution music files. 

• Reply 31 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Potsie Webber View Post

I believe the Classic will return in a few years, with added GB for high-resolution music files. 

I'd sure like to see it, but I think it's too small a niche for Apple and will be left to players like Astell & Kearn, FiiO, and Pono.

• Reply 32 of 50

Sigh.   13 years ago...  Is there anyone who could have pictured today back then?

The Forefather of all things mobile (I first misspelled that... and it corrected to 'noble'... maybe that's more befitting).

Same day as the 3.5" screen retired (well, that's not for sure, but it's not in the U.S. subsidized pricing model).

Culling of the herd.

• Reply 33 of 50
    A fabulous innovation, and even better workhorse. Pure greatness.

Sniff.
  • Reply 34 of 50

The keynote when Jobs introduced the original ipod was so good.

• Reply 35 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by F1Turbo View Post

Just ordered two from MacMall, but they're already backordered.  They're expecting another shipment of about 30 or so of each color, so should still get them.  I've got several friends who've told me over the years that if they ever discontinue the iPod Classic, they'll go out and buy several.  Still a great device, especially for people with large music collections.  At least they bumped the iPhone up to 128GB now, but with all the Apps and other stuff I have on the phone, no way I can put all the music I want on it, and that's at 128 kbps.  

I did the same thing. B&H Photo has them in stock right now. I have a large collection of music so the other iPod's are too small with space for me. 

• Reply 36 of 50
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

"No wireless. Less space than a Nomad. Lame" -CmdrTaco, Slashdot (23 Oct 2001)

AAPL share price on 23 October 2001: $1.27 (adjusted for splits and dividends)

AAPL share price on 9 September 2014: $97.99

• Reply 37 of 50
    A fabulous innovation, and even better workhorse. Pure greatness.

Sniff.
    Yeah. It deserves a retirement celebration rather than quiet discontinuation.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Sigh.   13 years ago...  Is there anyone who could have pictured today back then?

Oh, yes…but sadly, he isn't with us anymore...

• Reply 39 of 50
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Too bad they never added bluetooth to it. :(

• Reply 40 of 50

hmmm.  Now I have to run out and get one while stock is still around.   sigh.   Still can't beat the capacity.