Apple announces official iCloud price tiers ranging from free to $20 per month

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    I'm curious too if the photos/movies don't count against the space limit. I have about 500gb between them. Also wondering if old iPhone pictures and movies will count or not. If they're not counted, I'll go with the 500gb plan. If they are, I'm gonna do the onedrive/office deal. Hope details come soon.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    cpsro wrote: »
    No deal. 1TB is too small.

You're obviously not the user to whom they're pitching this service.

I'll bet 99.9% are cool with it.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    I'll stick with Dropbox until Apple actually demonstrates value with the iCloud.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    Originally Posted by Russell W View Post

I'll stick with Dropbox until Apple actually demonstrates value with the iCloud.

It does literally everything Dropbox does, but integrated seamlessly between all of your devices with extensibility to any software on the device.

If the pages on their website don’t demonstrate said value, I’m sure we can pound some more sense into you.

• Reply 25 of 66
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

It does literally everything Dropbox does, but integrated seamlessly between all of your devices with extensibility to any software on the device.

If the pages on their website don’t demonstrate said value, I’m sure we can pound some more sense into you.

An extra backup is rarely a bad idea.
  • Reply 26 of 66
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hamilton77fan View Post

I'm curious too if the photos/movies don't count against the space limit. I have about 500gb between them. Also wondering if old iPhone pictures and movies will count or not. If they're not counted, I'll go with the 500gb plan. If they are, I'm gonna do the onedrive/office deal. Hope details come soon.

Yeah, I'm also confused...

Per Apple Support page "Here's what iCloud backs up:

• Photos and videos in your Camera Roll

• Device settings

• App data

• Home screen and app organization

• iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages

• Ringtones

• Visual Voicemail"

I have a couple thousand photos in my camera roll, I share them with mostly family in photo streams,

yet my storage says I'm using approximately .31GB out of my 5 free…

clearly, I'm not "getting it", or at least not using it as others are...

so, what are those of you for whom a terabyte is insufficient putting "up" there???

• Reply 27 of 66
    Why is nobody talking about MEDIAFIRE?

https://www.mediafire.com/upgrade/

They have 1TB for $24.99 a year.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    News flash! Act now and Apple will throw in a collection of nude celebrity pics with every subscription.
  • Reply 29 of 66

I'm still using iOS 6 on a 4S.  Hope I'll have access to the new pricing without having to get iOS 8.

• Reply 30 of 66
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell W View Post

My dropbox is down to 10.9GB after the 48GB I got for free with a Galaxy S III expired after two years, that deal was also offered with my Galaxy S4 but they never gave me any extra time or space.

The $4 a month for 200GB suits my needs better than anything dropbox offers, 3 months of nag screens as the 2 years was coming up seals the deal for Apple.

P.S. I can use both and SkyDrive too, who says you have to be restricted to one service?

• Reply 31 of 66
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Yeah, I'm also confused...

Per Apple Support page "Here's what iCloud backs up:

• Photos and videos in your Camera Roll

• Device settings

• App data

• Home screen and app organization

• iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages

• Ringtones

• Visual Voicemail"

I have a couple thousand photos in my camera roll, I share them with mostly family in photo streams,

yet my storage says I'm using approximately .31GB out of my 5 free…

clearly, I'm not "getting it", or at least not using it as others are...

so, what are those of you for whom a terabyte is insufficient putting "up" there???

I've got 25GB of iCloud space and was continuously running out of space for backing up two 64GB iPhones and a 64GB iPad, so I changed it to sync the iPad and one of the iPhones with my MacBook.

200GB will easily fix that for less than I pay now.

• Reply 32 of 66
    If Apple figures out a way for the storage of iCloud to not cut into my Mac storage, then I would be happy to get a large amount of iCloud storage. If you get 200 gigs of dropbox storage, it subtracts from the space on your Mac! What good is that? I mean, it's good up to a point. But then, you have to start deleting stuff, and what's the point of that? I say, if I cloud offers off-line storage, and I would probably get a huge amount!!
  • Reply 33 of 66
    slurpy wrote: »
    Honest question, what the hell do you do on your device that 1TB of iCloud storage is too "small"? I'm genuinely curious. 

Pr0n...
  • Reply 34 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's new plans compare to competitors like Dropbox, which recently dropped Pro-level pricing down to $99 a year for 1TB of cloud storage.

Yes, Apple's plans compare, but not favourably. $240 year for a TB? Am I really the only one who thinks that's WAAAAAY too much?

A couple people mentioned "seamless integration." What does that mean in this context? What does iCloud do for me that some other online storage service doesn't? Is it something worth two-and-half times as much as Dropbox?

• Reply 35 of 66
    Yes, Apple's plans compare, but not favourably. $240 year for a TB? Am I really the only one who thinks that's WAAAAAY too much?

A couple people mentioned "seamless integration." What does that mean in this context? What does iCloud do for me that some other online storage service doesn't? Is it something worth two-and-half times as much as Dropbox?

It depends what you use it for. For me, paying 99¢ a month for 20GiB works out great for my backup and what files I save to iCloud. For sharing between people I would pay Dropbox for more space but since I already have enough at 18GiB I won't have to.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

1TB is actually too big for me. My MacBook Pro only has a 512GB SSD. :)

Not sure whether I'll switch from Dropbox to iCloud storage. Dropbox is better value but I think I'll wait and see how seamless the iCloud experience is before deciding.

• Reply 37 of 66
    hill60 wrote: »
    My dropbox is down to 10.9GB after the 48GB I got for free with a Galaxy S III expired after two years

Did they inform you what they were going to delete or was it just a random boom?
  • Reply 38 of 66
    Originally Posted by asleepyman View Post

I'm still using iOS 6 on a 4S.  Hope I'll have access to the new pricing without having to get iOS 8.

Get over it immediately.

I’m stuck on iOS 3.1.3 and 5.1.2. I’m running an iOS 8 style on my iPhone to compensate.

• Reply 39 of 66
    I’m stuck on iOS 3.1.3 and 5.1.2. I’m running an iOS 8 style on my iPhone to compensate.

Wouldn't buying a new iPhone and iPad be easier?
  • Reply 40 of 66
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Wouldn't buying a new iPhone and iPad be easier?

I dunno, it’s kind of fun to rock a first-gen with modern icons.

10 days, though.