Apple paid undisclosed sum to release U2's "Songs of Innocence" for free [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    wigby wrote: »
    It's not really free content like a podcast or free app. It has a cost but every iTunes account was gifted the songs from this album. So that might explain why it looks different to you. My question is how the hell do I just download the songs? I follow the simple instructions on the iTunes page and nothing is as it is described.

iTunes -> purchased -> not on this device-> various
  • Reply 42 of 62
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    It think it's only ok. Not bad. Not good.
  • Reply 43 of 62
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Any reason it is not appearing for me? The single was pretty good, was looking forward to hearing the entire thing...
  • Reply 44 of 62
    Not even for free. Will be paid by Apple customers. Pathetic.
  • Reply 45 of 62
    Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

Not even for free. Will be paid by Apple customers. Pathetic.

Not, uh… not really.

• Reply 46 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

iTunes -> purchased -> not on this device-> various

Nope. it's not there. How do I get it through iTunes on my Mac?

• Reply 47 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wigby View Post

Nevermind. I found it in recent purchases after jumping through 20 hoops. Bad Apple.

• Reply 48 of 62
    Originally Posted by wigby View Post

Preferences/Store/Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases

• Reply 49 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

They should have spent the money on their live streaming. Oh god, what clusterf*ck that was.but hey the Japanese dub was better than nothing.

Seriously! #1 tech company in the world and you can't figure out live steaming? I would however love to know how many people watched? I'm thinking thye could do this during prime time and beat everything except perhaps the Super Bowl.

All of their other events have worked flawlessly. Not sure what the hell happened this time, but they need to learn from it and I am sure they will. Stayed home to watch it on my Apple TV and was switching between that and my laptop on VPN to SJ when I could get a stream for any amount of time. Was sitting there watching some of Apple's live blog they had below the video. That was pretty nice. How they had the video as their homepage was awesome too. So they did a lot right, but the double music at the start had me very worried. It went downhill from there.  Good thing was worst part was iPhone introduction which there was also the most leaks. Watched the replay last night to see what I missed.

• Reply 50 of 62
    [quote]iTunes doesn't even download the digital booklet, just the songs...[/quote]

I got the booklet. I'm still running iTunes 10 (on one of my two Minis) and I'm wondering if that made the whole process much easier for me.
  • Reply 51 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Suffice it to say we’re probably talking 7 or 8 figures.

Yep. $0.9900001.

• Reply 52 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by justThorne View Post

I'm also an Apple stockholder, and feeling the money might have been spent more wisely.

One of the conditions for getting the free album was signing up to iTunes before October 13th. They already have 500m users but say they sign up 50m more users and monetize them by $1 each, that could cover what they paid to U2. As people said, even their best album sales are no more than 25m copies and they won't need to cover anywhere near that. Most likely the sum wasn't above $100m. Like Tim said, he's a good negotiator. He's not good at improvised stage shows though - the part where him and Bono touched fingers on stage to represent making the album available was lame as well as the awkward, strained conversation. The rest of the band members just looked embarrassed to be there.

I thought they had 800 million+ accounts, most with credit cards. Have they lost 300 million customers this year?

• Reply 53 of 62
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I thought they had 800 million+ accounts, most with credit cards. Have they lost 300 million customers this year?

hmmm…800m is the number all over the internet…can't necessarily expect Bono to know.

maybe it was 500m when their previous album came out?

btw - it's a whole album, so I think you meant $09.990001…?

• Reply 54 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

hmmm…800m is the number all over the internet…can't necessarily expect Bono to know.

maybe it was 500m when their previous album came out?

btw - it's a whole album, so I think you meant $09.990001…?

Sorry, yes, I was a decimal place out.

• Reply 56 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Ah, it all makes sense now.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2009/oct/26/u2-bono-disappointed-album-sales

Indeed. They needed a fillip.

• Reply 57 of 62
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator

They did say 800 million before:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/23/itunes-now-has-nearly-800-million-accounts-most-with-credit-cards-attached/

but then they said 500 million during the presentation:

http://gizmodo.com/itunes-comes-with-free-bono-1632405004

"Yep, every single iTunes user (500 million customers total!) is getting the new U2 album absolutely free."

That would be a loss of 300 million in about 5 months. There has to be a miscommunication somewhere - maybe the album isn't available to every country, maybe the 800 million includes Apple Store buyers that aren't using iTunes but still count as iTunes accounts.
  • Reply 58 of 62
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Of all Bono's terrible line flubbing, the part where he rambled on about not doing music for free came across to me as sounding the worst. It made U2, well Bono in particular, sound like some greedy person taking advantage of Apple's generosity which is not what I am sure the script writer intended. I suspect Bono was ad-libbing when he forgot his lines and got it very wrong.

IMHO It should have been The Red Album and U2 should have given all (well most) the money to their charity. That way both Apple and U2 would have looked good, as it is I was left with a bad taste in my mouth where Bono was concerned and wondering if this was a good use of Apple's money (albeit they can afford it).
  • Reply 59 of 62
    Of all Bono's terrible line flubbing, the part where he rambled on about not doing music for free came across to me as sounding the worst. It made U2, well Bono in particular, sound like some greedy person taking advantage of Apple's generosity which is not what I am sure the script writer intended. I suspect Bono was ad-libbing when he forgot his lines and got it very wrong.

IMHO It should have been The Red Album and U2 should have given all (well most) the money to their charity. That way both Apple and U2 would have looked good, as it is I was left with a bad taste in my mouth where Bono was concerned and wondering if this was a good use of Apple's money (albeit they can afford it).

The dialogue and banter should've been better written, but I was not bothered. I also have no problems with people making money, so...
  • Reply 60 of 62
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    The dialogue and banter should've been better written, but I was not bothered. I also have no problems with people making money, so...

I am sure it was better written, Bono just screwed up IMHO. Nor do I mind people making money but the history and context here was U2 / Apple / RED and all of a sudden this is Apple giving to U2 ... WTF? It just came out all wrong and as I say I am sure it wasn't supposed to come off that way. There just didn't seem to be a rational explanation why this was being done ... the reason, I feel, should have been, at least in part, a charity.

I probably wouldn't mind at all really if Bono wasn't such a self opinionated loud mouth. Look at his comments about Steve's reticence, if not refusal, to help charities openly recently (even though Steve did in secret of course). This all reminds me of Bob Geldof who discovered backing charities, actually, creating a charity in his case, and shouting a lot was a great PR exercise for a one hit wonder whose career was in the tank ... I always hoped Bono wasn't cut from that cloth. Just call me cynical ;)