How Apple made the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus ready for one-handed use

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    blitz1 wrote: »
    I guess I'll stick to my 4s.

Didin't see anything to make me get any newer version
    Well I wouldn't go that far. The 5S offers quite a bit more over the 4S. Aside from a larger screen, I'm not really seeing the leap from the 5S.

I REALLY want Apple Pay, but I won't buy a larger iPhone 6 to get it. And it will take at least a year to really roll out Apple Pay anyway. So hopefully they will add NFC to the iPhone 5 4" form factor, otherwise, I don't know what I'll do.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    everyone needs to chill - one handed use function is not meant to let you can do EVERYTHING on the iPhone with one hand 24/7, but rather only when your other hand is occupied. if you insist on one hand use all the time then stick with the 5s
  • Reply 23 of 49

I think the real beauty (and moneymaker of the evening) lies in Apple Pay.

Looks pretty awesome to me.

Too bad you need an oversized phone for that :(

• Reply 24 of 49
    Hopefully the iPhone 6s will introduce the Mini version; 4 inch. I don't want a 4.7 inch device in my hands (and pocket).
    Battery life is also not very special so I'll have to again purchase a Mophie, making the device even more clunky.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    For some reason Reachability sounds dirty.

The alternative name they came up with was iFap
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPhone 6 Plus ready for one-handed use

Well, they failed at that.

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

My guess is that next year, when the 5S is two years old and therefore in need of refreshing as the 4" representative in the line up, they will refresh it and maybe give it the same body design as these larger ones. You heard it here first; nobody will beat me to that prediction.

That’d be lovely. I don’t see it, but...

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Why h  hasn't Apple improved the facetime camera for selfies especially without that new screen?

Hit up the iPhone comparison page, please.

Originally Posted by Truffol View Post

one handed use function is not meant to let you can do EVERYTHING on the iPhone with one hand 24/7...

And now it begins. People trying to pretend that no phone has ever been used one-handedly and that the compromise doesn’t lie with two hands... 

• Reply 27 of 49
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I am not sure we would be defending this were it an Android workaround.

I may come around to the 6 when I see it. I may not. I will never like the 6+
  • Reply 28 of 49

I think they would have been much better off redesigning the interface of iOS and the apps rather than implementing "reachability". For example, the URL bar in Safari and menu buttons in other apps should be at the bottom of the screen instead of the top. No menu button should ever be on the top right. I had a 4.5 inch phone years ago (smaller than iPhone 6), and it was difficult to reach across and on top of the screen.

A previous study expounded on the idea that keyboard shortcuts really weren't faster than simply using your mouse because people tended to discount the mental time and effort it took to remember those shortcuts to begin with, whether they're consciously aware they're doing so or not. I can't imagine that not being the case here with "reachability".

When Ive spoke about the original iPhone and why it had a large touchscreen, he basically said that directly manipulating objects on the screen was preferable than going through an intermediary like a mouse or a scroll wheel; everything defaults to the screen. If you needed to click an icon, then you simply reached over and clicked it with your finger. The fact that they felt the need to implement "reachability" seems to be a step backwards in my opinion.

• Reply 29 of 49
    The time of these small phones you guys keep thinking are better is over. Apple pretty much said so yesterday. There is a reason for this. Things change and if you don't you get left behind. I'm extremely happy about the new sizes Apple brought to the table and will get the 5.5" and pay using the NFC. Good times.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I am not sure we would be defending this were it an Android workaround.

No, we wouldn’t be, which is why I’m not.

We rightly mock Android’s thing where the entire UI just shrinks (as though the phone itself is smaller) so you can get to everything. This is even stupider; it’s only HALF the UI at a time.

In this way, I’m happy with the 6 Plus, as it’s Apple’s way of showing people that they’re idiots for wanting a phone this big in the first place. The only “benefit” (real or assumed) of the screen size comes when the device is landscape, which is why the size works so well as an iPod touch gaming platform.

In fact, let’s say Apple does the iPods at the October event. I don’t want to see a 4.7” iPod touch. Just the 5.5” and a 4 to match.

• Reply 31 of 49
    I never understood the need for the lock button to be on the side. When I'm locking my device, it's to put it down/away so it doesn't have to be one handed. I feel like it will get more accidental presses while on the side.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I REALLY want Apple Pay, but I won't buy a larger iPhone 6 to get it. And it will take at least a year to really roll out Apple Pay anyway. So hopefully they will add NFC to the iPhone 5 4" form factor, otherwise, I don't know what I'll do.

I'm getting the 6+ for my wife who carries her phone in her purse anyway and taking her 5S.  If I need NFC I'll buy the watch.

• Reply 33 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

OHHH.. That makes sense.. I was worried we'd lost the double click of the multitasking windows... so DONT press the button, just lightly tap it and touch ID senses it... sweet..

I think it would have made more sense to swipe down over the touch ID button to slide the display down.  Maybe they were worried that people might swipe accidentally and not know how to get the display back!  But as long as the next thing you touch always returns things to normal, there isn't really a problem.

• Reply 34 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, we wouldn’t be, which is why I’m not.

We rightly mock Android’s thing where the entire UI just shrinks (as though the phone itself is smaller) so you can get to everything. This is even stupider; it’s only HALF the UI at a time.

In this way, I’m happy with the 6 Plus, as it’s Apple’s way of showing people that they’re idiots for wanting a phone this big in the first place. The only “benefit” (real or assumed) of the screen size comes when the device is landscape, which is why the size works so well as an iPod touch gaming platform.

In fact, let’s say Apple does the iPods at the October event. I don’t want to see a 4.7” iPod touch. Just the 5.5” and a 4 to match.

The universe doesn't revolve around you. In Asian countries with hieroglyph languages, the 5.5 will be preferred for being much easier to work with. People with purses or even moderately sized pockets can tote the 5.5 around just fine. And hey, there's a smaller one - you don't have to get it. You can be happy with your smaller phone and live and let live. I don't see why you feel the need to mock people for wanting a larger device, especially when these things aren't even used as phones anymore as it is, and when you're not being forced to use one.

• Reply 35 of 49
    Originally Posted by Fuzzypaws View Post

the 5.5 will be preferred for being much easier to work with.

In what capacity? Japan’s still a fan of flip phones and has been forever. In the early naughties, they just had screens that could render said characters correctly. And all modern iPhones have better screens than they ever did. Never mind the software options to increase text size, etc. There are flip phones on the market in Japan right now with a 480x854 screen; are they a problem?

• Reply 36 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In what capacity? Japan’s still a fan of flip phones and has been forever. In the early naughties, they just had screens that could render said characters correctly. And all modern iPhones have better screens than they ever did. Never mind the software options to increase text size, etc. There are flip phones on the market in Japan right now with a 480x854 screen; are they a problem?

It is much easier to write on a bigger screen than a small one with your finger.  In asian language mode the usable writing area on the current iPhone is very small and occasionally fiddly.

Yes, the larger 5.5 will be proportionally more popular in Asia (well, china and japan anyway) than here for that reason.

• Reply 37 of 49
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

I'm getting the 6+ for my wife who carries her phone in her purse anyway and taking her 5S.  If I need NFC I'll buy the watch.

Yeah I was thinking about that. I don't want the watch per se, and I would only want it if it's actually water resistant from more than just sweat. But I'll need to know more about how it works. Right now, I carry my phone and a credit card, so I was thinking I could carry the watch in my pocket. But that seems like an expensive way to manage my credit cards, especially when NFC is not likely to be widespread for at least a year or two. And I think Apple Pay will work online without a device. Anyway, we'll have to see how it evolves. Don't know enough yet. 

• Reply 38 of 49
    Quote:

Yeah I was thinking about that. I don't want the watch per se, and I would only want it if it's actually water resistant from more than just sweat. But I'll need to know more about how it works. Right now, I carry my phone and a credit card, so I was thinking I could carry the watch in my pocket. But that seems like an expensive way to manage my credit cards, especially when NFC is not likely to be widespread for at least a year or two. And I think Apple Pay will work online without a device. Anyway, we'll have to see how it evolves. Don't know enough yet. 

As you say...the NFC probably won't be so widespread that it's "must have" for a couple, three years.  By then the watch will be much better or maybe you'll have a 3.5" iPhone nano to buy. 

• Reply 39 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post

Thats not one handed use. Its stupid. I wish that they'd just maintained a 4 inch iPhone 6. Wouldn't have been tat hard and would have pleased a lot of people. 

Nothing wrong with introducing a 4.7 and 5.5 iPhone, some people don't care about one handed use. However, there are still many who do. 

1 person want 4"

At least three.

• Reply 40 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Quote:

Great that you're buying an iPhone, but I would implore you and your wife to try it out first in person. It may be fine, but you may be surprised by small usability differences, like accidentally pressing the sleep button in landscape mode, or the inability to alter the volume on a phone call.