Apple Watch is first device category developed under Tim Cook, took years to complete

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

I haven't been around too much for the last three weeks as I have been extremely ill, I even completely forgot yesterday was the big releases date. I haven't had a chance to read up on most of the new stuff but I did read a few articles on the Apples new watch today and went over a few pictures. Yeah, it's just okay, nothing ground breaking, especially after all of the hype surrounding it as the next big thing, though again I'm not a big fan of smart watches, not yet anyway. It looks nice enough, I would still prefer a round watch if I had to buy one, it will defiantly not disrupt the luxury watch industry in Switzerland as some suggested. I wish Apple would have a few more meta options, platinum, gold and Titanium being the top three. The interface also looks a little too cluttered, complicated for a watch interface, in this case I think I would prefer Google's solution but again that's not saying much as I really believe these things still need another few years in the development oven. I think the third iteration will be the one to buy but no doubt Apple will probably still sell a butt load of them because its Apple, though I really believe after a person buys one and is done playing with it, they'll  end up only using a handful of it’s features, big one still being a clock. I’m just being over critical, Apples first attempt is still pretty good and honestly I wasn't expecting something that would change the way I feel about the smart-watch, just too gadgety for me to justify the cost at this time.

• Reply 22 of 53

The iWatch is not a dumb shrunk form of a tablet on your wrist, it gives the users an opportunity to represent their personality. I have only one Apple device with me today, it’s the Apple IPad 2 that I bought in 2010 and even today, it works exactly the way it worked, when I took it off from the box 3.5 years back. It’s an awesome product! I am not much of a fan of iPhones but this time, I am abundantly excited for the Apple iWatch. It is going to be the product that will prove to the fans that apple still has the strong grip on the innovation even after Steve Jobs has left them. I am collating here all the crisp information about the iWatch that will give you 10 reasons  to get this new hot gadget strapped around your wrist, like right now!  http://worldofoddballs.com/10-reasons-why-you-should-be-having-the-apple-watch-iwatch-strapped-on-your-wrist-today/

• Reply 23 of 53
    relic wrote: »
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);margin:0px;padding:0px;"><span style="margin:0px;padding:0px;">I haven't been around too much for the last three weeks as I have been extremely ill

Sorry to hear that. Are you (a bit) better now? We did get a little worried due to the silence. Am I in the wrong when asking if you can have someone inform us on your health by posting here on this site? Last time we went a little overboard in finding stuff out, and it became a little creepy for me to search for you, just to know if you were 'doing ok'....

Good to see you post!

Best.
    Take care.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That is so much thicker than I was expecting.

Remember the iPad? And then the iPad 2? Watch, (SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP) the 2nd-gen model in 2016 will manage to be half as thick. The iPad 2 was the thickness of the flat sides on the iPad.

Originally Posted by enzos View Post

What OS will it run? Is one reason for Swift being developed?

My guess is that it’s running a modification of the iPod nano’s OS. Swift is Swift; clean, efficient code helps in the sense of file sizes, but that’s not really a concern here.

• Reply 25 of 53
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    As for Ive, Apple's design chief said his team <a href="http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2014/09/jony-ive-the-man-behind-apple-watch-design-says-device-went-through-millions-of-versions/">took years</a> to get the Apple Watch right. One of the hardest issues to address was making a very personal device attractive to a wide swath of consumers.

"We've always tried to make products that people don't begrudgingly use, but that they want to use," Ive said. "I think that the bar for that is very high when it's something that you wear. And it's something that you're going to wear all day, every day."

That video with Ive looked very odd. Every time the interviewer asked about the design, Jony seemed like he was talking on behalf of the design team behind it and not in a way like it was a team effort. Tim has mentioned in the past that Jony is not involved with the day-to-day running of Apple. That video actually gave me the impression he wasn't heavily involved with the watch.

The video even fades out towards the end where Jony is saying that not many people wear watches any more. There are 1.2 billion watches sold every year so is on par in volume with the smartphone market but the average prices are very low for the high volume segment.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Remember the iPad? And then the iPad 2? Watch, (SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP) the 2nd-gen model in 2016 will manage to be half as thick. The iPad 2 was the thickness of the flat sides on the iPad.

My guess is that it’s running a modification of the iPod nano’s OS. Swift is Swift; clean, efficient code helps in the sense of file sizes, but that’s not really a concern here.

Almost certainly running a version of iOS. Probably written in objective C.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Almost certainly running a version of iOS. Probably written in objective C.

I would’ve thought iOS would be too power hungry.

• Reply 28 of 53
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

It isn't really. It's the internal chips etc which cause the problems.

Anyway that's apples core skills. iOS/ OS X. And that watch is probably faster than the original iPhone.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Battery life?

• Reply 30 of 53
    pazuzu wrote: »
     Battery life?

You can bet it'll have awesome battery life.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Battery life?

Won’t last less than a day. If the square iPod nano is any indication, it’ll last more than a day. Granted, that didn’t have 802.11 or Bluetooth, but…

• Reply 32 of 53
    You can bet it'll have awesome battery life.

Based on what? Hope? There is a reason battery life wasn't talked about.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

There is a reason battery life wasn't talked about.

The product isn’t in production yet and we only saw prototypes?

• Reply 34 of 53

The product isn’t in production yet and we only saw prototypes?

This watch will get less than two days of life.
  • Reply 35 of 53

This watch will not get less than two days of life.

That sounds reasonable.

• Reply 36 of 53
    Quote:

Based on what? Hope? There is a reason battery life wasn't talked about.

Yes.  They don't know yet what the final battery life figures will be.  But knowing Apple, they will not release a product that has a ridiculously short battery life.

• Reply 37 of 53
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The iPad 2 was the thickness of the flat sides on the iPad.

No, it was not.

This watch isn't even out yet. I'm not going to judge the second version, I'm going to judge this one. It's nice, but it doesn't have an immediate appeal like most Apple products. It's not striking, but that's probably intended.

I've never been wrong about my perception of Apple products before. I knew the iPhone 4 and 5 leaks were real from the first glance (you didn't) and I loved them right away.

Here... I'm not so sure I like it. I'm certain it will sell well, but that would be the first time I'm off-balanced in my feeling about a product.

• Reply 38 of 53
    I'm sure a soon future updated model will have a camera and Face Time capabilities. Apple likes to reward early adopters with less features... So, folks that open their wallets for the Apple Watch v1 will gladly do it again next year for v2 with a camera... I hope that I can resist the urge... But, I doubt it! Anyone want to buy my Apple Watch v1 next year when I upgrade to v2 with camera? I already listed it for sale or trade on ebay. Ha ha
  • Reply 39 of 53
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

No, it was not.

Whoop, got RID of the flat part. Got those mixed up.

• Reply 40 of 53

Rene Ritchie from iMore asked Apple about this yesterday. Apple said the watch is running "Watch OS".