Apple Watch: First impressions from an afternoon with Cupertino's new wearable

Comments

• Reply 181 of 300
    docno42 wrote: »
    And even then it may not be apparent. Also Beats was on stage yesterday....

I keep forgetting, is it Beats by Dre or Beats by Ray Rice?
  • Reply 182 of 300
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    May not be apparent? I know... all the smart people are at Apple... the rest of the world is brain dead.

lol - desperate for that witty insight, eh? "May not be apparent" because very rarely are the details of the who/what/where/when/why of huge deals publicized. If Levine is involved in discussions I would be shocked for either side to talk about it. Ever.
  • Reply 183 of 300
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member

As I posted previously, 

Apple has put up new INFORMATION pages that everyone should peruse. 

Lots pages. Lots of information. Well worth reading.

Note: Click Explore at the right side at the top of any of the pages to view the table of contents.

• Reply 184 of 300
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There was a survey on The Verge asking how many would buy the new Apple stuff and the vast majority were not. The Verge is largely populated with Android users. It's pretty dismal there. The articles and the comments are less and less worth reading.

We've seen this all before, with the iPhone, the iPad, etc, etc, etc.

There are going to be plenty of people who are jealous, because they will not be able to afford it. There are a lot of kids and Fandroids posting on the internet, so it's only natural that these people lash out at that which they can not have. Also, it's Apple, and it's fashionable for certain people to bash Apple.

As for the Verge, I've said this before, but I hate that site now, and never visit it. It has gotten way too political, and they post far too many articles that have zero to do with tech. 

• Reply 185 of 300

Here's another "wish we could say more" moment: maybe there is an opportunity to ditch all these card readers (and their now very sophisticated skimmers) associated with ATMs and gas pumps too. All the demos in the videos seem to be of retail (coffee shoppes, Macys etc.) My employer sells me a bus pass. It is (another) card with an NFC chip. I lost the damn thing and a new one was $20. 

AAPL's mission message needs to be "kill the mag stripe."

• Reply 186 of 300
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Can we assume Apple will manufacture a left handed watch as well?

Maybe it'll just be software.

If the cost is too high, then Apple should not make a special model for the left handed amongst us.

• Reply 187 of 300
    This Apple event left me with more questions than answers:
    What can the Apple Watch do when it is not connected to an iPhone?
    Can it be paired with an iPad Air (and why the heck not?)
    Could it get GPS location from a Bluetooth GPS receiver the way an iOS device can?
    How does an iWatch authenticate purchases (it has no touch ID).
    What can and can't an iWatch app do?
    How does it communicate with an iPhone if not by WiFi (Bluetooth bandwidth is limited)?
    Does that magnetic power adapter also sync data to the watch when connected to a computer?
    Those two lights and cameras on the back are only for pulse?
    What about the other biosensors we read about?
    There are no plugs on the watch so how do we listen to music (not that tinny speaker right?)
    Is Apple going to release wireless earbuds finally?
    The watch is certainly beautiful, amazing new technology but what need does it serve?
    If it requires an iPhone, why do we need it in addition to an iPhone?
    What can it do that an iPhone cannot do on its own?
  • Reply 188 of 300
    eightzero wrote: »
    AAPL's mission message needs to be "kill the mag stripe."

Funny how this was all over the local news this morning: http://dcist.com/2014/09/metro_will_begin_testing_payment_by.php

I'm sure the renewed interest had nothing to do with Apple...
  • Reply 189 of 300
    GrangerFX wrote: »

We don't know because they aren't telling us everything it can do - but it can function independently at least for some health functions as well as play music independently of having a phone present.

It doesn't seem like they plan to, but it will be interesting to see.
    Could it get GPS location from a Bluetooth GPS receiver the way an iOS device can?

I'm sure it could. Will it? Don't hold your breath.

This one is pretty easy to me - you authenticate on your phone. You don't need to take your phone out to use Touch ID - just feel for it. Once authenticated your watch stays unlocked for either:

1. A set period of time
    2. The phone separates from the watch and looses it's connection to the phone
    3. The watch looses contact with it's human. It has bio sensors after all

So you unlock transactions on the watch once and move on. Also it needs the phone to communicate to complete the transaction, so again minimal danger in having the watch in an "unlocked" state.

Too early.
    How does it communicate with an iPhone if not by WiFi (Bluetooth bandwidth is limited)?

Since you can sync music to it I suspect it has wifi, although transferring files by bluetooth isn't horrible either. Faster than USB 1.
    Does that magnetic power adapter also sync data to the watch when connected to a computer?

I would wager a definitely not. There is no physical connection, it's wireless. If your wireless then just go with bluetooth or wifi.

For now :)

Stay tuned :)
    There are no plugs on the watch so how do we listen to music (not that tinny speaker right?)

Ever hear of bluetooth?

Perhaps. Or maybe Beats will ;)
    The watch is certainly beautiful, amazing new technology but what need does it serve?

Not having to take the iPhone out of my pocket? Discrete communications (the haptic feedback was a real surprise and amazingly well thought out)?

Even more convenience?

Heck, why not ask what need does a smartphone serve? Or even what need did an iPod serve?

Careful with words like "need"....

Because it does more than an iPhone can on it's own? Again, if a phone makes calls why do you need an iPhone? Similar to your previous question.

Be on my wrist and quickly and easily accessible. That's just one. OK, trigger an iPhone from across the room - there's two. Watch the keynote - you'll see four or five more answers to that question if you really care. And once the greater developer community get access to it (which they have) who knows what will be possible that even Apple hasn't anticipated?

How people confuse pre-announcments like this as being the ultimate destination instead of the beginning of the journey is always fascinating to me...
  • Reply 190 of 300
    Battery life: Too short. Forget about those apps that monitor your sleep quality; your watch will be recharging.

Compatibility: Requires an iPhone 5 or 6 to work. Since you have to have an iPhone with you all the time and the only thing additional the watch does is give you a heart rate monitor, then carry the phone and buy a heart rate monitor. The Polar FT80, for example, will run for a year without changing its battery. And it is $30 cheaper. And it works with everything.

Water resistance: Unusable in heavy rain, the shower, or swimming. So much for it being a fitness watch used by serious fitness enthusiasts.

Price: $349 for an iPhone accessory that tells time and monitors your heart rate, while not doing either one very well. It is the most expensive heart rate monitor out there with the least capability. Try again, Apple.
  • Reply 191 of 300
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

As I posted previously:

Apple has put up new INFORMATION pages that everyone should peruse. Lots pages. Lots of information. Well worth reading.

Note: Click Explore at the right side at the top of any of the pages to view the table of contents.

I would suggest you peruse the nine pages Apple has just put up.

And then repost your queries. But note, any question that you can't resolve there, is highly doubtful that anyone here can answer unequivocally.

• Reply 192 of 300
    Hepatic feedback? Does this thing connect directly to your liver?! Sorcery!
  • Reply 193 of 300
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cjcampbell View Post

Battery life: Too short. Forget about those apps that monitor your sleep quality; your watch will be recharging.

Compatibility: Requires an iPhone 5 or 6 to work. Since you have to have an iPhone with you all the time and the only thing additional the watch does is give you a heart rate monitor, then carry the phone and buy a heart rate monitor. The Polar FT80, for example, will run for a year without changing its battery. And it is $30 cheaper. And it works with everything.

Water resistance: Unusable in heavy rain, the shower, or swimming. So much for it being a fitness watch used by serious fitness enthusiasts.

Price: $349 for an iPhone accessory that tells time and monitors your heart rate, while not doing either one very well. It is the most expensive heart rate monitor out there with the least capability. Try again, Apple.

Pretty sure I wouldn't buy this if all I wanted was a HR Monitor.

And I think the battery specs are way up in the air. If the battery recharges in ... 10 mins? .... maybe there is no need to recharge it overnight. Pop it on the charger while you're in the shower.

I pretty much said "meh" to the iPod. It really isn't hugely important to me, as I didn't have a deep desire to listen to music constantly. But I did find uses when they became more useable, smaller and cheaper. I went through a similar phase with iPhone. It seemed expensive for a "phone" (I had one at home for $12/mo!) But I did but a iPad on launch day. Came to my front door at 10am the day they were available. It was instant value, used it a lot, and I've upgraded a few times. This stuff sorta depends on what you want the tech solution to do for you.

"Wish we could say more." I'm all ears, Apple.

At $350 of so, it seems like there is value to me. YMMV. 

• Reply 194 of 300
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

As I posted previously:

Apple has put up new INFORMATION pages that everyone should peruse. Lots pages. Lots of information. Well worth reading.

Note: Click Explore at the right side at the top of any of the pages to view the table of contents.

And then repost your queries. But note, any question that you can't resolve there, is highly doubtful that anyone here can answer unequivocally.

The oblong button on the right side isn't fully explained. It can't be a touchID, and I don't think the screen works as a touchID sensor. And there seems to be a little nubbin on the lower left side. 

Good info, yes. Much of it is teasers. and...I think I know why. :-)

• Reply 195 of 300
    Young fashion-conscious people? I don't think so. Lol Maybe if it had been round with straps by Burberry or Dior but otherwise this is one fugly beast that only geeks and special needs people would be seen dead with. The sports purpose has potential and I think that's where they should have left it. This could be a huge failure and would highlight that Tim may not have been the best choice for Apple.
  • Reply 196 of 300
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

As I posted previously:

Those pages are remarkably information content free. They don't tell you much beyond what was covered in the videos. Start with the top question: What can you do with the Apple Watch when there is no iPhone nearby? Those pages don't explain this at all. What they do say is contractionary. It says it has apps but it also says it requires an iPhone. Apps on the iPhone can run without a connection to another a device. Can apps on the Apple Watch do the same?

These are not support forums. This is a discussion of the news story. I and you should not assume that anyone here can answer any questions posted. The list I posted was of questions Apple left unanswered in their presentation and in their marketing materials on their web site.

• Reply 197 of 300
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

Those pages are remarkably information content free. They don't tell you much beyond what was covered in the videos. Start with the top question: What can you do with the Apple Watch when there is no iPhone nearby? Those pages don't explain this at all. What they do say is contractionary. It says it has apps but it also says it requires an iPhone. Apps on the iPhone can run without a connection to another a device. Can apps on the Apple Watch do the same?

These are not support forums. This is a discussion of the news story. I and you should not assume that anyone here can answer any questions posted. The list I posted was of questions Apple left unanswered in their presentation and in their marketing materials on their web site.

Not any different than any companies do when announcing an impending product launch. How can you have a support forum for something that is not yet made. And Apple didn't post any unanswered questions. Or a need to explain anything beyond what they need to at time. Much like the iPod, the iPhone and the iPad introduction. Remember this was not a product launch. 

Cripes, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that if the ? Watch doesn't have a GPS chip that a GPS app won't work unless the your iPhone is nearby.

• Reply 198 of 300
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

The oblong button on the right side isn't fully explained. It can't be a touchID, and I don't think the screen works as a touchID sensor. And there seems to be a little nubbin on the lower left side. 

Good info, yes. Much of it is teasers. and...I think I know why. :-)

Kevin Lynch showed using the Oblong Button at the 80 minute mark in the keynote video.

• Reply 199 of 300
    As many times as this has been discussed, I can't believe people are still coming on here with: "Is there a left-handed version?" "Apple is alienating left-handers!" Cripes, this has been dealt with ad nauseam! The display can be inverted in Settings. The strap can be put on the other way! (And uniquely easily, too—no springbars!)

The real question is: Why do people jump on this as a unique failure on Apple's part? Isn't this the only watch in the freakin' world that you can easily reverse like this? Is Rolex "alienating left-handers"? Why is Apple castigated for a failure that they are the only ones not failing at?
  • Reply 200 of 300
    As many times as this has been discussed, I can't believe people are still coming on here with: "Is there a left-handed version?" "Apple is alienating left-handers!" Cripes, this has been dealt with ad nauseam! The display can be inverted in Settings. The strap can be put on the other way! (And uniquely easily, too—no springbars!)

The real question is: Why do people jump on this as a unique failure on Apple's part? Isn't this the only watch in the freakin' world that you can easily reverse like this? Is Rolex "alienating left-handers"? Why is Apple castigated for a failure that they are the only ones not failing at?

1) This info about being able to reverse the bands and display for left-handed use only came out later in the day and still isn't common knowledge among tech site readers as far as I can tell.

2) Rolex et al. don't have a crown that needs to be used often, hence the concern.