Apple Watch: First impressions from an afternoon with Cupertino's new wearable

Comments

• Reply 161 of 300
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    blackbook wrote: »
    If Apple were to put effort into it they could transform TV forever. Whether that be through a TV set or maybe a redesigned set top box. Media is all about content and if Apple can get the content without the need for a cable subscription Apple would immediately be leaps ahead of the competition. We're talking billions of dollars per year in potential revenue from streaming and device sales.

Asking a stubborn jackass the same question over, but just louder?

That's your solution?

lol - to get a solution both parties have to agree there is something to solve. The current media idiots are in denial that the markets and world is changing. It's just a matter of time, just like with music. That's why Apple isn't pursuing it - there's no point.
  • Reply 162 of 300
    we probably won't hear anything more about the Beats connection until it happens.

And even then it may not be apparent. Also Beats was on stage yesterday....
  • Reply 163 of 300
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malcolmjr View Post

What about lefties (more generally, those who wear a watch on their RIGHT wrist)?! The crown is clearly integral to the user experience and it's remarkably stupid that Apple overlooked the obvious issue at hand (no pun intended) when it comes to left-handers.

Even if a left custom version isn't built, I wore the watch on both wrists (Apple demonstrators put it on one and then the other) and neither felt really uncomfortable. I'm right handed, but with the watch on my right hand, i could interact with it using my left hand naturally. Of course, I didn't use it extensively because the demos were more show than do, but the watch interface is crown driven, and you can spin it with your finger or thumb on either wrist. 

• Reply 164 of 300
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Actually, BLE keyless entry/push button start would be first, since you reach for that far more than your DL. The DL and insurance checks are just to generate ticket revenue anyway. Where I live, they always swipe the DL through the computer to instantly check for revocations or warrants.  They do the same thing if you just give the number.

Insurance doesn't mean a thing either, the DMV electronically receives all insurance renewals/cancellations and instantly correlates the information. They don't have to wait until you get a ticket or an accident: they sent a roommate a nasty letter when they found he had got insurance but still had an out-of-state car registration.

Well...OK. I guess I should consider myself lucky that I haven't been asked for my DL/ Insurance by a peace officer since...well...long before the iPhone appeared.

• Reply 165 of 300
    Quote:

Originally Posted by colettehope View Post

How about lefties? Many wear a watch on their right. Does the screen flip?

yes. handedness is chosen when setting up the watch. the only difference for lefties is that the crown dial will be below the button as they are not making different physical models

• Reply 166 of 300
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I see over at the Verge that Apple Watch is getting ripped to shreds. One criticism I find highly amusing is that the watch does too much. This is coming from the same people that routinely criticize iOS and iPhone because they can't do all the things Android does (at least not before iOS 8). Yes I think Apple needs to sharpen its watch message and perhaps focus on 4 or 5 things the watch does really well. But we all know if Apple announced a wearable device that only did a couple things or was just fitness focused these same people would be complaining that it was a niche device, that it costs too much for what it can do, that Android Wear has more features blah blah blah. Personally I think it's an exciting new platform and I can't wait to see what developers do with it.

I have to congratulate you on your fortitude in checking out these other toxic sites. Even MacRumors is too disturbing to me. These people are so absurdly vicious about Apple, my blood pressure can't stand it. They don't have to like anything from Apple, that doesn't bother me, it's the pile-on of hysterical hate that's just completely wicked, as in Old Testament ripeness for divine destruction. It's pathological.
  • Reply 167 of 300
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Why focus on something that's unattainable? You would think the movie execs would "get it" about DRM after watching how the online music sales exploded once Apple coerced them to finally allow them to drop DRM.

But they don't. So why beat a dead horse?

With streaming contracts for music.

lol - and why would you expect to? You really think Apple paid a billion dollars just for some crappy headphones? Priceless!

Based on what? TV makers are dying. People buy a TV, set it up and then don't think about it again for 10-15 years. 3D flopped, and 4K is going to be a hard sell to all but the die hards (and I find the calls for 4K hilarious given how over-compressed cable/satellite/FIOS is compared to OTA broadcasts).

The value in TV is the content, and we already established the current content creators are dinosaurs stuck in the past and unwilling to acknowledge the successes in music.

It matters not. Time grinds on. With the rise of efforts of Netflix, Amazon and others to create their own compelling content the eventual demise of the current system is just a matter of time - even with the moves of companies like Comcast in buying NBC.

What I do find puzzling is given their relationship to Disney why there isn't more Disney content predominantly featured on things like the Apple TV.

I wouldn't call working with media companies beating a dead horse.

Also I agree that a physical TV set alone wouldn't be a profitable venture for Apple either.

Their potential profit would be in allowing people to watch the content they want without having a full TV subscription. They of course would have to still work with Cable providers Comcast and Time Warner since they own different TV networks, but if they can make a deal where in essence everyone wins (as they've done with their deal with banks and credit card issuers) they have the potential bring a service to market that will really benefit consumers.

• Reply 168 of 300
    Quote:

And even then it may not be apparent. Also Beats was on stage yesterday....

May not be apparent?

I know... all the smart people are at Apple... the rest of the world is brain dead.

• Reply 169 of 300
    Quote:

Asking a stubborn jackass the same question over, but just louder?

That's your solution?

lol - to get a solution both parties have to agree there is something to solve. The current media idiots are in denial that the markets and world is changing. It's just a matter of time, just like with music. That's why Apple isn't pursuing it - there's no point.

So you are saying that Apple didn't change the music industry at all?

• Reply 170 of 300

38 mm is at the upper ranger of women's watch. Current women's watch are not as dainty as they used to be BTW.

• Reply 171 of 300

One insightful comment here was that now "wish we could say more" makes a little more sense wrt to the apple watch. I still am not exactly sure of all it does, or what its capabilities are. It seems to be an iPhone accessory, but can you make an NFC purchase without it being paired? Dunno. The Apple web site seems to imply so, but I'd wanna see that confirmed. It is reasonably clear it doesn't have a GPS chip in it (and I'm not sure about wifi, since the apple site says it uses "GPS and wifi in your iphone" to track distance for the fitness apps.)

Not exactly sure this device actually runs iOS8. Maybe kinda like AppleTV with some customized version.

I can see it being a useful device in many ways, and value at the prices cited.

As to the left hand version, it seems that the display would simply invert if the straps were reversed. Anyone try this at the demo area? I'm right handed, but have worn my watch on my right wrist for 45 years.

• Reply 172 of 300
    Can we assume Apple will manufacture a left handed watch as well?
  • Reply 173 of 300
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmax57 View Post

It needs GPS, the ability to store a playlist, Bluetooth headphones, and all the cool health monitoring tech - and without a doubt needs to be waterproof. 

And a built in pony.  Definitely a pony or it would be useless.

If they put all that stuff into the watch it would be iPhone sized.  GPS is a huge battery suck.  Turn on GPS and you can watch the battery drain as you run or ride without an external battery pack attached.  Unless you're not running very far.  In which case who cares?

If you are biking then having your phone is a no brainer.  If you run, it's still not that big a hassle to get an arm band or belt.  I prefer a belt, YMMV.

• Reply 174 of 300
    blackbook wrote: »
    I wouldn't call working with media companies beating a dead horse.

You can't force people to work with you when they don't want to.

Speaking of beating a dead horse...
  • Reply 175 of 300
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rsdofny View Post

It is paired with an iPhone. If there is a bluetooth headphone, it can paired with the iPhone for music, not the iWatch.

IMPORTANT

Apple has put up a new FEATURES page as well a few other that everyone should peruse. For example,

Quote:

Phone. Use the built-in speaker and microphone for quick chats, or seamlessly transfer calls to your iPhone for longer conversations. You can also transfer calls from Apple Watch to your car’s speakerphone or your Bluetooth headset. And silence incoming calls by covering Apple Watch with your hand. 

Quote:

Music. Control the music on your iPhone without taking it out of your pocket. And when you leave iPhone at home to go for a jog, listen to music directly on Apple Watch.

• Reply 176 of 300
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Any features that increase the growth or power of government I'm not really interested. Keep it small and constitutional, IMO.

How the hell does putting your ID on your iPhone increase the growth or power of government or be unconstitutional?

• Reply 177 of 300
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

And silence incoming calls by covering Apple Watch with your hand.

I like that. It’s like swatting the mosquitoes of your life.

• Reply 178 of 300
    flaneur wrote: »
    I have to congratulate you on your fortitude in checking out these other toxic sites. Even MacRumors is too disturbing to me. These people are so absurdly vicious about Apple, my blood pressure can't stand it. They don't have to like anything from Apple, that doesn't bother me, it's the pile-on of hysterical hate that's just completely wicked, as in Old Testament ripeness for divine destruction. It's pathological.

There was a survey on The Verge asking how many would buy the new Apple stuff and the vast majority were not. The Verge is largely populated with Android users. It's pretty dismal there. The articles and the comments are less and less worth reading.
  • Reply 179 of 300
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    eauvive wrote: »

But it never really rooted. I’m sure it was never implemented beyond experimental devices such as those ‘Tallest Skil’ mentions. However, the ten day week (or ‘decade’, which, by the way and for once, has kept its original meaning in French since Latin deca diem means 'ten days' – English ‘decade’ is translated by ‘décennie’, English 'decennium') was implemented but ditched together with the French revolution's calendar. The metric system was driven by the urgent need to harmonize the various units that were in usage everywhere in France, sometimes bearing the same name but having different values. By the by, Condorcet suggested to bring about something consistent, and not based on fancy multiples. However, time was practically the only quantity that was measured consistently across the whole world, and so the proposal to decimalize it encountered a strong resistance and was, at the end, chucked. But it would make sense, yes. The same would be true for the angles, where the 360 division is also based on the fact that 360 can be exactly divided in a variety of ways (360 = 2^3 * 3^3 * 5, so can be sliced in 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, etc.)

PS : The 'decade' system was not abandoned because it was deemed unpractical, but because it went against the Scriptures.

Anything but a seven-day week would be a disaster, from the point of view of the 13-month restoration imperative. (28 days divides into 4 7-day weeks.) I say imperative because we must recalibrate our time and season sense to harmonize with the Earth-Moon-Sun system. The Moon is the timing signal for much of Earth life, including especially humans, with our cognitive engagement with visible environment signals. The 13-moon calendar goes back to Neanderthals, and was universal in human society until the patriarchists appeared about 3000 BC, breaking our ties to nature as the primal act of authoritarian control over all but the patriarchs and their sons.

As examples of how we are timed by the moon: the 28-day ovulation cycle, the 10-moonth gestation period of the human fetus—280 days.
  • Reply 180 of 300
    So you are saying that Apple didn't change the music industry at all?

By accident. If Apple was a fraction of successful as they are today iTunes would have never happened the way it did. There have been countless articles that make the point that record labels didn't see Apple as a threat because they weren't considered relevant at the time. Treated it more as an experiment. That iTunes and the iPod took off like it did horrified them. It was only years later when the overwhelming success of the store shut down their fears coupled with Apple agreeing to let them have variable pricing that they finally agreed to allow the removal of DRM. Which lead to them making more money :p

Yet the movie studios haven't gotten the message - they keep doubling down with stupidity like ultraviolet (or whatever it is). The user experience for that crap is gawd-awful but do the studios care? Nope - we are all criminals until proven worthy. Sheesh.... Want to see how the music industry would have reacted had they had the chance? Just look at the movie industry today - here it is.

Had Steve had the presence to get the same movie deals at the same time he got the initial music deals we might be different today. But not now. Greed is running rampant - screw logic and reason. You aren't going to see a change in movies until the studios are less relevant, and you aren't going to see a change in TV shows until the networks and cable are less relevant.

As I said, it's just a matter of time - but not now.