Gold 'Apple Watch Edition' could cost $1,200, industry insiders say

Comments

• Reply 41 of 163
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

Meh.

It's a watch.  I don't wear watches any more, haven't since college.  I've got an iPhone, I can look at that if I want to know what time it is.

I can't see myself ever wearing a watch again.

Sure. But this isn't just a watch. There are lots of people that said the same thing about cell phones and iPhones. "I've got a phone at home. It even has an answering machine. I can't see myself wanting to talk to someone on a phone."

• Reply 42 of 163

Just a thought... They mentioned a completely sealed SOC quite specifically. What if it is in fact replaceable? Just another component, like the battery, that can be replaced? For a cost of course, but much less than the whole watch replacement.

~New user. Reader for as long as this website has existed.

• Reply 43 of 163
    Either way, I'll wait for 2.0, I can't do 1.0 items, they are always test models. 2.0 is when they make big improvements and have the bugs worked out and improved from user feedback. Definitely want one, however.
  • Reply 44 of 163

It's a nice looking phone in my opinion but yeah, I spent a few years working on an Aid Project in a third world country where the concept of time is different to western culture.  I went there wearing a watch and left not wearing a watch and haven't since.  Like you, I just look at my iPhone or the computer screen if I need the time.  I currently wear a chest strap for heart rate bpm when training but it won't be long before the sensors are woven into the fabric threads.

• Reply 45 of 163

I don't know. The HP-01 Calculator watch was introduced 37 years ago but they still hold their value pretty well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-HP-01-LED-CALCULATOR-MENS-WATCH-USA-MADE-/251637536127?_trksid=p2054897.l5663

• Reply 46 of 163
    Quote:

Meh. It's a watch.

It's way more than "just a watch" just as the iPhone is way more than "just a phone." If you claim otherwise, you were either not paying attention or are intentionally only hearing what you want to hear. The timekeeping is the *least* of its features.

That said, I too am questioning whether I want to start strapping a device to my wrist again. I stopped wearing watches 10 years ago and really don't miss them. There are clocks everywhere now and it's one less thing to forget/lose/scratch.

What attracts me most is the health-monitoring. I don't like FitBits' or Fuels' form factors or (lack of) reliability, but I do like some of their features.

The thing that scares me most about Apple Watch is the battery. I think I'll at least wait until v2 in hopes they can make the battery last more than 16 hours. Perhaps they'll squeeze a solar cell into the top to boost its life. Or add an inertial battery charger that will leverage your arm movement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_watch).

• Reply 47 of 163
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

All tech does.

THINK DIFFERENT  !

• Reply 48 of 163
    So we know the battery will only last a few years. That means it's replaceable—not at home of course, but at the Apple Store. (Or at any number of authorized jewelers for several times the price.)

Knowing that, why do we think the guts of the watch couldn't be replaced just as easily? Sounds like it's a single module that would take the same two seconds to replace, once you've got it open, as the battery does. Bam! New ?Watch!

IOW: Chill out! The case will be forever.

(I don't know about the display, though. Is it AMOLED? That means it'll soak up water out of the air and die, blue first. Probably quicker than the battery. Is it bonded to the crystal? I don't know.)
  • Reply 49 of 163
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

So we know the battery will only last a few years.

Who says?

Is it AMOLED?

It’s Apple, so no. I imagine it’s just cut from the same sheets as the iPhone 6’s new display. Or however that happens.

• Reply 50 of 163

It’s Apple, so no. I imagine it’s just cut from the same sheets as the iPhone 6’s new display. Or however that happens.

From Apple's website:
    A Retina display is the primary surface for every interaction with Apple Watch. And it’s clear why. The incredibly high pixel density makes numbers and text easy to read at a glance, even while you’re moving. Images and graphics render with remarkable sharpness and contrast, including finely detailed ones like the rotation of a hair-thin second hand on a watch face. And the display is extremely energy efficient, critical for a device you wear throughout the day. On most Apple Watch models, the display is laminated to a machined and polished single crystal of sapphire. Next to diamond, it’s the hardest transparent material. On watches in the Sport collection, protection is provided by strengthened Ion-X glass.

(Emphasis mine) This is noncommittal, but it seems to imply it's more energy-efficient than a regular Apple LCD display. I hope to hell it's not AMOLED, but these mostly-black display pictures sure make it look that way.

One thing—it is laminated to the crystal, so if it is LCD, when the backlight wears out, the whole thing needs to be replaced. What's the half-life on these things, 20,000 hours?
  • Reply 51 of 163
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

From Apple's website:

Hmm.

One thing—it is laminated to the crystal, so if it is LCD, when the backlight wears out, the whole thing needs to be replaced. What's the half-life on these things, 20,000 hours? 

I see that as a benefit. It’s impossible for dust (a hair) to get stuck between the display and glass during a replacement.

I thought LCDs were higher than that.

• Reply 52 of 163
    I thought LCDs were higher than that.

The LCD itself will last essentially forever. Back in the early digital watch days they had a problem with water in the air like AMOLED, but by the early 80s that was handled.

The lifetime involved is the backlight. In order to get even illumination, it's always bonded to the LCD any more. The diffuser is lit up by an "LED" light. I put that in quotes because it's really a blue LED imbedded in a blob of phosphor, so it's actually a fluorescent light. And phosphors wear out. My little reading lamp is rated at 20,000 hours before half-brightness—I imagine there are higher-quality ones out there.

Still, if you interacted with your watch 2 hours a day, that's over 27 years, so...not worried.
  • Reply 53 of 163
    Quote:

Meh.

It's a watch.  I don't wear watches any more, haven't since college.  I've got an iPhone, I can look at that if I want to know what time it is.

Produce a product that makes handling the large unwieldy iPhone 6s unnecessary, I think that's one of Apple's principal rationales in creating the Watch.

• Reply 54 of 163
    mj web wrote: »
    darkvader wrote: »

Meh.

Produce a product that makes handling the large unwieldy iPhone 6s unnecessary, I think that's one of Apple's principal rationales<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> in creating the Watch.</span>

I can't believe the people who want to go back to the pocket watch...only this time without a fob, so you have to fish around in your pocket for it, pull it out, and turn it on to see what time it is.
  • Reply 55 of 163
    "strengthened"

like when it is cold forged then chilled fast in the mould to make it amorphous.

strange that apple made the watch in 3 metal alloys but all are the exact same design (mould).

why can't people see that all 3 alloys are is a BMG !!!!

the iPhone came in 2 sizes but is made out of the just 1 type of aluminium alloy that is NOT harder or lighter than the aluminium in the watch.

edit: mistype
  • Reply 56 of 163
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    iaeen wrote: »
    On the subject of bands: I hope either Apple or someone else makes lugs that fit the Apple Watch, but take regular spring bars and can be fitted with aftermarket straps.

I love the steel bracelet, but the leather straps all look terribly mass produced to me. I would love to put a custom exotic skin strap on my Apple Watch for dressier occasions.

Maybe they will open that up to 3rd parties, Apple seem to like others setting up small industries around their products.
  • Reply 57 of 163

Also in the same report by Ming-Chi Kuo that claims the watch will cost thousands, he also claims that liquidmetal will be used in the watch.

?why has that part be overlooked ?

• Reply 58 of 163
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Sure. But this isn't just a watch. There are lots of people that said the same thing about cell phones and iPhones. "I've got a phone at home. It even has an answering machine. I can't see myself wanting to talk to someone on a phone."

People back then (2007) were lusting for a widescreen iPod.

Apple surprised them by doing the unthinkable. They offered:

A phone, a widescreen iPod and an internet communicator.

A phone, an iPod and an internet communicator.

A phone, an iPod and ... you get it ?

Its touch based interface was revolutionary as well. Just like the clickwheel was for the original iPod.

What do we have now?

A watch that looks like a mini tablet strapped on your wrist. Shame as its interface could have been revolutionary if it were to be Siri controlled only. The digital crown is a fad. It tries too hard to look like a watch. The original iPhone didn't have a rotary dial either, did it? The iPhone was the Future. One could feel it. I didn't have that feeling with the iWatch. Apple has got a lot of work to do.

• Reply 59 of 163
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    clexman wrote: »
    I think the pricing is going to be closer to $2000 for the top of the line model.

One thing not mentioned is warranty. A Rolex comes with a 2 year warranty and can tell time indefinitely with maintenance and repairs. Will an Apple Watch made out of solid gold still be compatible with an iPhone 11 in 5 years? Will it just be a gold paperweight or will there be an upgrade/trade-in path?

Surely the only way to sell a $1k -$2k watch is to guarantee updates. Or replacements.
  • Reply 60 of 163
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    mr o wrote: »
    People back then (2007) were lusting for a widescreen iPod.

Apple surprised them by doing the unthinkable. They offered:

A phone, a widescreen iPod and an internet communicator.

A phone, an iPod and an internet communicator.

A phone, an iPod and ... you get it ?

Its touch based interface was revolutionary as well. Just like the clickwheel was for the original iPod.

What do we have now?

A watch that looks like a mini tablet strapped on your wrist. Shame as its interface could have been revolutionary if it were to be Siri controlled only. The digital crown is a fad. It tries too hard to look like a watch. The original iPhone didn't have a rotary dial either, did it? The iPhone was the Future. One could feel it. I didn't have that feeling with the iWatch. Apple has got a lot of work to do.

Siri only? So we say "scroll up"