Apple Watch, AirDrop, iBeacon & Continuity coax advanced features from Bluetooth & WiFi

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Over the past few years, Apple has released a series of OS technologies that connect devices using Bluetooth, WiFi or a combination of the two wireless technologies. Here's how the new Apple Watch--as well as AirDrop, iBeacon and the new Continuity features of iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite--work to deliver simple, efficient and fast wireless connectivity

Sounds good so far!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

in marked contrast to Google's rival efforts for Android.

Oh fer... THIS again? Honestly, Daniel, can you really not just write about what Apple is doing without seething at your perceived enemies?

I was hoping for a nice summary. I guess I'll get my info about Apple's wireless implementations somewhere else, since there's just no way I can sit through another "Yer either with us or agin us" rant.

• Reply 62 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Roly View Post

Why would Apple make a waterproof phone? it's got to be a complete waste of effort and resources when 99.9999% of the population are not stupid enough to get their phone wet.

SERIOUSLY?! You say this even after Apple started installing humidity sensors in their phones so that they would have grounds to refuse warranty service for the mountains of phones coming in with water damage?

Give your head a shake. In the real world, phones get wet.

• Reply 63 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I very briefly had a Sony C905 phone in 2008 that just showed up on a WiFi network and allowed you to transfer files to and from via WiFi.  A very handy feature.

And how did that work out for Sony? And you could do all that on a huge 2.4" screen - amazing... could you actually open and read all types of files? I think not...

So there's no way a phone that didn't change the world could have had a good feature or two, huh? And the fact that the phone didn't change the world automatically means that file transfer is not a good idea? To me, that seems like pretty specious reasoning at best.

As for opening and reading all file types, of course not, and so what? How about the types of files the device CAN read? How about not having to carry around a stupid flash drive when I already have GBs of unused storage on a device I always carry everywhere I go?

Why do you automatically dismiss what might be a good idea just because Apple doesn't do it?

• Reply 64 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

That's the other shoe that Apple hasn't dropped yet.

It could be something as simple as an iPod with NFC (no cell radio, etc.).

I've read that a NFC Terminal costs about $1,200 US ... if so, there's room for NFC iDevices used as anything from a dumb NFC Terminal (reader) -- to a complete NFC/POST at very reasonable prices.

Based on what I've been reading since the 9th, I'm under the impression that NFC payment technology may be a rare example of the USA being slow to adopt a technology that's common in the rest of the developed world.

Where I live (Vancouver, Canada), I get suspicious when presented with a terminal that requires a swipe. EVERY retailer bigger than the smallest corner store has chip reading terminals (even my corner store has that) and just about every retail chain has "touch" terminals (those holding out for "political" reasons like Wal-Mart notwithstanding). Restaurants all have portable chip readers, and many of them are NFC capable.

I have no idea what terminals cost or how the retailers acquire them, but the rapid and widespread uptake of them here suggests to me that the obstacles must not be all that daunting.

• Reply 65 of 83
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

I've read that a NFC Terminal costs about $1,200 US ... if so, there's room for NFC iDevices used as anything from a dumb NFC Terminal (reader) -- to a complete NFC/POST at very reasonable prices.

Do a search for NFC terminals. If a brief look I just did they seem to start at less than $200.
  • Reply 66 of 83
    Quote:

Yes, BLE (4.0) is required -- didn't appear on most Macs until late 2011.

BLE dongles do not work.

I do see lots of indication this is true as of right now. There are really a few possibilities:

1. AAPL consciously making Yosemite so that it will not work unless it sees native, built-in, you paid AAPL to make these features work (no dongle support, no one gets in to see the wizard, no way no how); or

2. There is a technical obstacle in the existing dongles that prohibit these features from working with them; or

3. If both 1 and 2 above are untrue, there is an opportunity for a third party developer to make a compatible dongle.

AAPL hasn't had much of a historical habit of making add-on hardware to make their older system compatible with new technologies. Not saying this is evil or inappropriate - or that they should, it just seems to be more likely from a 3rd party.

• Reply 67 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

SERIOUSLY?! You say this even after Apple started installing humidity sensors in their phones so that they would have grounds to refuse warranty service for the mountains of phones coming in with water damage?

They likely do have a large number of water damaged phones but even so, I doubt Apple will go the water proofing route that Samsung went. Those little plugs that hang off the phone that you have to stick into the Galaxy charger/audio holes every single day on the odd chance that you may or may not drop it in the toilet is not the kind of user experience Apple would go for.

If you argue that you can remove the plugs and only attach them on a day when you are going boat fishing or in rainy weather, then people can always get a simple water proof iPhone case and do the same thing on those particular days.

• Reply 68 of 83

Based on what I've been reading since the 9th, I'm under the impression that NFC payment technology may be a rare example of the USA being slow to adopt a technology that's common in the rest of the developed world.

Where I live (Vancouver, Canada), I get suspicious when presented with a terminal that requires a swipe. EVERY retailer bigger than the smallest corner store has chip reading terminals (even my corner store has that) and just about every retail chain has "touch" terminals (those holding out for "political" reasons like Wal-Mart notwithstanding). Restaurants all have portable chip readers, and many of them are NFC capable.

I have no idea what terminals cost or how the retailers acquire them, but the rapid and widespread uptake of them here suggests to me that the obstacles must not be all that daunting.

FWIW, If you are an Apple Developer, the latest iOS and OS X Maps app has a Flyover Tour of Vancouver ...

No Los Angeles, No Washington DC, No Berlin ... But we have Modesto CA, and Tulsa ... Modesto???

Who schedules these things?
  • Reply 69 of 83
    n8nnc wrote: »
    Thanks for the excellent analysis of the automatic networking features.

A nit: In "Apple's FaceTime also lets your place calls and messages from a Mac", I think "your" should be "you"

Good comment.

By the way, by 'nit,' I think you mean 'nitpick,' and I believe you meant to put a full stop at the end of your second sentence.
  • Reply 70 of 83
    cnocbui wrote: »
    So when Airdrop finally allows you to transfer files between a Mac and iOS devices, Apple will have caught up with a facility that has been available to users of non-iOS devices for ages.

I very briefly had a Sony C905 phone in 2008 that just showed up on a WiFi network and allowed you to transfer files to and from via WiFi.  A very handy feature.

Great to see Apple is leading the way as usual.  I can't wait until they make the worlds first waterproof phone.

I think that Samsung have already made a waterproof phone, so if Apple make one, it won't be the first.
  • Reply 71 of 83
    Hey, AI ...

I (and I hope others will do the same) am not even going to click on any articles that detail Samsung hit pieces on Apple ... There are so many of them, and I have better, more important things to do ... like cutting my toenails!

You've got to be kidding me! I know that I love reading Samsung hit pieces more than cutting my toenails.

Having someone else cut my toenails is another matter.
  • Reply 72 of 83
    roly wrote: »

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Why would Apple make a waterproof phone? it's got to be a complete waste of effort and resources when 99.9999% of the population are not stupid enough to get their phone wet.</span>

They do, if you're careless.

Moral of the story: don't be careless.
  • Reply 73 of 83
    Quote:

FWIW, If you are an Apple Developer, the latest iOS and OS X Maps app has a Flyover Tour of Vancouver ...

Apple has maps? Why?

But seriously, I tried again just yesterday to not hate Apple maps. We couldn't remember how to get into the planetarium so I asked Apple Maps to help. I entered Planetarium. Nothing. McMillan Space Centre. Nothing. Quit Apple Maps and opened Google Maps. Entered McMillan Space Centre. It said, "Oh, you mean the 'H.R. MacMillan Space Centre.' It's right here."

I don't know if the problem was my misspelling or if Apple Maps just plain doesn't know where the planetarium is, but it doesn't matter and I don't care. Google was able to take what I gave it and come up with the right answer. Apple Maps didn't.

• Reply 74 of 83
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

And how did that work out for Sony? And you could do all that on a huge 2.4" screen - amazing... could you actually open and read all types of files? I think not...

Both the screen size and the interoperability of the file type is irrelevant to the usefulness of the transfer protocol.  Give over with the trying to deflect from Apple's tardiness in this area.

• Reply 75 of 83
    Quote:

You want to pay your bill using ApplePay.

Does the merchant bring a portable NFC terminal to you? If so, where, when, how much for these NFC Terminals?

Given that the likely answer is no -- how does the customer/merchant/cc provider take advantage of the security and convenience of ApplePay when they are not within bump range of the NFC POST?

There are two answers to that - the first is one you've already seen, that in fact in all of Europe that's exactly what restaurants do, bring around the reader.  If you think $1200 per reader is expensive you have no idea what restaurants are already paying for payment terminals - and remember they have to have several of whatever terminal if they are a larger restaurant.

The second though, is that ApplePay also works in applications in conjunction with the TouchID.  One example underway is that in the Open Table application, at some restaurants you'll be able to pay for your meal through the OpenTable app.  In effect, your OWN PHONE becomes the payment terminal.

Simply put, that is awesome.

• Reply 76 of 83
    Quote:

Many people (adults with credit cards) don't walk or sit around with their iPhone in their hand (it's considered rude and anti-social) -- they keep it in their pocket or purse and pull it out when needed.

So, my point is valid!

Which is why the AppleWatch also supports payments, so your point is not valid (nor is simply holding a phone considered rude anywhere I've ever been).

Also, can you honestly say with a straight face it's easier for 99% of people to get to a CC than their phone?  That's not true of any woman I've ever met.  The phone is always at the top of the purse since it's used frequently.  The CC are in a wallet buried somewhere in the purse since they are not needed much.

It's somewhat easier for men but even there it's slightly faster to just pull out a phone from the packet verses opening a billfold and selecting a card. 

• Reply 77 of 83
    kgelner01 wrote: »
    Many people (adults with credit cards) don't walk or sit around with their iPhone in their hand (it's considered rude and anti-social) -- they keep it in their pocket or purse and pull it out when needed.

So, my point is valid!

Which is why the AppleWatch also supports payments, so your point is not valid (nor is simply holding a phone considered rude anywhere I've ever been).

Also, can you honestly say with a straight face it's easier for 99% of people to get to a CC than their phone?  That's not true of any woman I've ever met.  The phone is always at the top of the purse since it's used frequently.  The CC are in a wallet buried somewhere in the purse since they are not needed much.

It's somewhat easier for men but even there it's slightly faster to just pull out a phone from the packet verses opening a billfold and selecting a card. 

"so your point is not valid (nor is simply holding a phone considered rude anywhere I've ever been)."

Apparently, you live in the phone in hand, always connected world depicted in this video below ...

I, truly feel sad for you and your acquaintances ... Johnny we never got to know ye ...

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 78 of 83
    photodenk wrote: »
    Anyone know if Bluetooth 4.0 is required on a mac to take advantage of the continuity features? I'm having trouble finding a consistent answer online.

We will all know when Yosemite is released.
  • Reply 79 of 83
    "so your point is not valid (nor is simply holding a phone considered rude anywhere I've ever been)."

Apparently, you live in the phone in hand, always connected world depicted in this video below ...

I, truly feel sad for you and your acquaintances ... Johnny we never got to know ye ...
    [^ video]

Like many, I consider that rude as well. Many people will appreciate it if the other gives their undivided attention and not hold your phone because there may be a notification (from social media or whatever)
  • Reply 80 of 83
    Another great DED article providing excellent background detail. Thanks!