Misfit announces Flash, an affordable $49 wearable fitness and sleep tracker

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

what on earth are you talking about? Forstall, the ex-apple software designer, has nothing to do w/ Ive's hardware designs.

He's talking about the skeuomorphism trend of iOS6 to imitate real world objects to ease people into new experiences by making use of familiar references. It was advocated by Scot Forstall E.g.: a leather bound calendar, a gaming table in felt, a wooden bookcase, etc.

In the end it resulted in a lot of bloatware, unnecessary slowing down simple common tasks and thus resulting in a bad user experience.

The same applies to the digital crown:

1. It adds complexity because it is one of many input devices on the watch. Compare this to the iPhone with a single home button.

2. And it is not suited for left and right handed use. Left and right handed use are going to be crucial for Ladies who are concerned about tan lines on their wrist. Alternating the watch left and right from one day to the other could solve this issue.

• Reply 22 of 65
    How does it measure sleep quality?
  • Reply 23 of 65
    How does it measure sleep quality? How does the information compare to what you get from an at home sleep study?
  • Reply 24 of 65
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So now I need to buy 5 different bands to do the same thing as an AppleWatch?

no thank you.

This is like buying an mp3 player, digital camera, cell phone, net book, DVD player to do the same thing as an iPhone

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheDeacon View Post

Wow. You guys are a cynical bunch of Apple fanboys. (note: I'm an apple fanboy too.)

If you are in the market for a Watch, then you are are not looking to buy one of these.

The price is right. A lot of people can't afford/won't spend $350 on a watch.

It's waterproof (we know the Watch won't be waterproof or they would have already been pushing it)

This is meant to be worn all day/all night.

The bright colors will be very popular with younger adults/teenagers.

Given the price, this seems like the best of what's out there now - Fitbit, Withings, Jawbone, etc. The wearables market is small and seems to be dwindling. The fad may be over. But this is a strong option for those still interested.

Its DOA.

• Reply 25 of 65
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

But I agree, like required iPhone tethering, that crown thing needs to be REMOVED by next gen.

Well now....isn't that just a fantastic understanding of how intimately tied with the entire UI the crown is.

• Reply 26 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yeah, I'll trust Ive's design sense more than that of a troll like you - since he's actually proven himself, you know, a million times over. 

I'm always in awe of people like you, who posess so little humility, and have no hesitation in bash something created by people who are known to be the best in their fields, in such a kneejerk fashion. You think during the 3 years of development, Ive and team didn't try 10,000 different prototypes? You think you have more insight into what works and looks better than they do, based on the millions of hrs of testing they've done? The design is not your cup of tea, fine. But I think the abject mockery, coming from people like you and others, is pretty damn sickening- and reveals more about your character than the watch itself. Especially since you don't have one second of hands-on time with the digital crown, nor the watch itself. What fucking qualifies you to dish out such mockery? Your implication is that everyone who designed the watch is a moron. Again, that says alot about you. 

I couldn't have said it better myself Slurpy

• Reply 27 of 65
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Maybe it's just because of last week's keynote, with all the references to "most personal" products... but on the face of it, "Misfit" seems a horribly miscalculated brand name for a wearable.

(Yes, I know the intended reference well, no need to remind me of "Santa Claus is Coming To Town"...)

What?  You think it's a reference to the Land of Misfit Toys?  Maybe you're right, but that's odd.  But as you say, it's an odd name, period.

• Reply 28 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

He's talking about the skeuomorphism trend of iOS6 to imitate real world objects to ease people into new experiences by making use of familiar references. It was advocated by Scot Forstall E.g.: a leather bound calendar, a gaming table in felt, a wooden bookcase, etc.

In the end it resulted in a lot of bloatware, unnecessary slowing down simple common tasks and thus resulting in a bad user experience.

The same applies to the digital crown:

1. It adds complexity because it is one of many input devices on the watch. Compare this to the iPhone with a single home button.

2. And it is not suited for left and right handed use. Left and right handed use are going to be crucial for Ladies who are concerned about tan lines on their wrist. Alternating the watch left and right from one day to the other could solve this issue.

1. The knob is specifically to allow for user interaction without obscuring the screen.  Pretty clever in my book.

2. The Apple Watch can be rotated 180 degrees to be worn on the right wrist.

(To say nothing of the fact that one of the best things about the iPhone when it first came out was the playful touches that critics now lambast as unforgivable skeuomorphism.  The stitched "leather" and other simulated textures were very eye catching and appealing to technophobes who weren't inclined to buy a "smart phone.")

• Reply 29 of 65

Not everything you wear around your wrist that tracks some health info has to also do everything else

the Apple Watch is going to do, just to be useful and worthwhile...

I know a lot of you will go to town with Apple Watch, and use the living s**t out of it,

in creative ?and integral waysbut I wouldn't.

Speaking just for myself, this looks like something that might suit my more limited tracking needs,

and I don't need it to do all the other fabulous, complicated things Apple Watch will,

plus, I'd be spending about one seventh what the least expensive Apple Watch would cost meand that's 

?a lot of sushior whatever.

Honestly, folks, you can praise and admire Apple without trashing everything else -

these folks are not Samsung or Google, and they seem to have worked hand in hand 

?(or wrist inoh, never mind) with Apple in the past, and I think it's a nice, modest alternative

to the full-blown wonder that Apple Watch will be.

?(plus I like the "wascally wearable" name, and the fact it plays "if I only had a brain" all day)

• Reply 30 of 65
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

I like this. Totally different use case than the Apple watch. Just passive set and forget tracking of activity and sleep, super low-cost.

It could be the gateway drug to smarter wearables for a lot of people. 

• Reply 31 of 65
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

1. And it is not suited for left and right handed use. Left and right handed use are going to be crucial for Ladies who are concerned about tan lines on their wrist. Alternating the watch left and right from one day to the other could solve this issue.

It works right or left handed. You can flip the whole interface.

• Reply 32 of 65
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    pmz wrote: »
    Well now....isn't that just a fantastic understanding of how intimately tied with the entire UI the crown is.

Yes and this is 2014 not 1890.
  • Reply 33 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DogCowabunga View Post

Dudes what is not to love? It has everything necessary!! A) Really bright color B) Obviously waterproof. Obviously! C) No recharging required D) tracks your sleep & probably comfortable enough to do so E) Low price F) Theft proof in SO many ways (one of which: clearly valueless item) G) Extremely funny! I mean, it looks like a watch but ... IT DOESNT TELL TIME I would buy it for that reason alone as long as it comes in BRIGHT ORANGE. PleasePleasePlease???

It does tell time (just at 5 minute intervals).  If I were into step counting and the Apple Watch weren't a thing, I can see myself spending $50 on one of these.  I would probably get the black or white model though (although the teal and blue ones are rather appealing).

• Reply 34 of 65
    slurpy wrote: »
    Yeah, I'll trust Ive's design sense more than that of a troll like you - since he's actually proven himself, you know, a million times over. 

I'm always in awe of people like you, who posess so little humility, and have no hesitation in bash something created by people who are known to be the best in their fields, in such a kneejerk fashion. You think during the 3 years of development, Ive and team didn't try 10,000 different prototypes? You think you have more insight into what works and looks better than they do, based on the millions of hrs of testing they've done? The design is not your cup of tea, fine. But I think the abject mockery, coming from people like you and others, is pretty damn sickening- and reveals more about your character than the watch itself. Especially since you don't have one second of hands-on time with the digital crown, nor the watch itself. What fucking qualifies you to dish out such mockery? Your implication is that everyone who designed the watch is a moron. Again, that says alot about you. 

I must have struck a nerve - too bad. Physical wheels and such are antiquated in the digital age. Haven't you noticed the iPod Classic is history. Grow up. Not everything Apple's ever made is brilliant. I don't care how many prototypes blah blah blah- It's both ugly and functions poorly. Charging every night? Yeah right.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Watch Google buy them next month.

Bottom line is this will be a very niche product.

- Maybe, but it doesn't seem like much of a match...

- So?  Rolls Royce is a very niche product, too…(not that I'm comparing the quality),

and for quite a while, most things Apple were 'niche' too…I think we still loved them!

• Reply 36 of 65
    sog35 wrote: »
    Watch Google buy them next month.

Bottom line is this will be a very niche product.

Isn't the Nike Fuelband a niche product too? Funny I haven't heard Nike discontinuing then.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

I must have struck a nerve - too bad. Physical wheels and such are antiquated in the digital age. Haven't you noticed the iPod Classic is history. Grow up. Not everything Apple's ever made is brilliant. I don't care how many prototypes blah blah blah- It's both ugly and functions poorly. Charging every night? Yeah right.

I'm sorry that your Apple Watch functions poorly.  Perhaps you can still return it for a refund.  Or perhaps you're just speculating that that knob doesn't work well.  Funny because I would assume that a company that has eliminating moving parts from almost all it's products wouldn't add one without very carefully weighing the pros and cons.  But let's check back in a year or two and see if the second and third generations of the Apple Watch do away with the knob.  Then you'll be able to say "I told you so."

• Reply 38 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

I must have struck a nerve.

That's really all you're here for, isn't it?  Surely not for intellectual discussion, nor to share enthusiasm for a common interest?

• Reply 39 of 65
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    That's really all you're here for, isn't it?  Surely not for intellectual discussion, nor to share enthusiasm for a common interest?

Not really? And others agreed about the fugly crown too so not quite sure who's common interest your referring to.
    Having said that the whole fact that another manufacturer's pure digital watch is being featured in this article for discussion did not originate from me if it's plucking yours or anyone's nerves.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

....my point is, single function $49 wearables have no future whatsoever.

So we need to purchase $349 Apple Watch instead?

...in addition to the $49 wearable to track sleep? (even though the M7 & M8 can do this. Likely something Apple will enable at a later time).