Apple says incapable of decrypting iOS 8 user data, even for government agencies

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 87
    Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Who's lol now?

Me. The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

• Reply 82 of 87
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,594member
    Me. The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

I thought that was one of the funnier signatures you had used. I think you shoulda kept it. Who originally said that, Marvin?
  • Reply 83 of 87
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I thought that was one of the funnier signatures you had used. I think you shoulda kept it. Who originally said that, Marvin?

I think so, but I don’t remember. I’ll probably switch it back.

• Reply 84 of 87
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator

I think so, but I don’t remember. I’ll probably switch it back.

I lumped Windows users in too - it's mainly people who use both Windows and Android together:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/161484/apple-requests-removal-of-external-antitrust-compliance-monitor/40#post_2455349

You don't hear much about Windows users these days but it'll be because the majority moved onto Android and that's the new hot topic:

http://www.androidcentral.com/late-night-poll-what-desktop-os-do-you-use

Windows 67.63% (7,922 votes)
    Mac OS 15.05% (1,763 votes)
    A version of Linux 16.27% (1,906 votes)
    Total Votes: 11,714

I expect that forum has a higher than normal amount of Linux users. It's the same mentality behind buying Android as buying Windows: that price trumps quality, choice trumps integration, freedom trumps security.

There's at least a significant portion of Windows users with Apple mobile devices though (only 80m Mac users but over 500m iPhones sold) so that's helping shut them up. It's not exactly creating a shortage though, there's still a few hundred million left.
  • Reply 85 of 87
    Quote:

Among the privacy policies outlined by Apple in a new privacy policy webpage on Wednesday is an iOS 8 feature that makes it technically impossible for the company to decrypt a device to harvest user data, even if law enforcement agencies request it.

If it's true, then anticipate the Feds will classify it as a "weapon" and ban it's export (as they have done with many old computer, video games, and other electronic devices). 

• Reply 86 of 87
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-Cat View Post

If it's true, then anticipate the Feds will classify it as a "weapon" and ban it's export (as they have done with many old computer, video games, and other electronic devices). 

You can get an export license for encryption. You can also develop encryption overseas and skirt the issue. Lastly, Apple's quote is that decryption of the phone is "not technically feasible" by Apple. That's a big difference from "technically impossible." Apple is saying that they can't decrypt iOS8 phones easily or conveniently. This makes it all the more likely that this is an exportable encryption and that the three-letter agencies can decrypt them easily and conveniently.

• Reply 87 of 87

So it is obvious that most of the users on this page have issues with the govt and it's ability to access information stored on your phones/Icloud to "spy on everyone".  I myself could care less if the govt comes to have a look in my phone to see information stored in the phone.  But, I can understand why some may not like that ability.

But, I have one question for all of you.  Lets say your child, mother, father, friend, dog or whatever you love, has been taken from you by someone.  Now lets say that this despicable person is now playing husband or wife with that same person over and over again.  In between those "romantic episodes" your loved one is being "trained" (tortured) over and over again by ways that would make you vomitt.

The police eventually get a lead and bring the guy into an interview and he gives up that he has kidnapped, raped and tortured your loved one for days, weeks, months or maybe years...

But, he/she decides he will never tell ANYONE where your loved one is being "stored" but reminds the police that he/she is still alive.

Through this investigation police know for a fact that there is information stored in his/her phone that will allow your loved one to be brought home safe!

Now how do you feel about Apple not allowing our govt a means to access this persons phone (with a legal warrant signed by a judge)  to bring your child home safe?

Just the other side of the story...

P.S.

Don't say this shit doesnt happen that much.  It happens everyday in this cruel world.