Hands on: unboxing and sizing up Apple's new iPhone 6 & 6 Plus

Comments

• Reply 101 of 128
    lundkeman wrote: »
    T-Mobile did have a deal a few months back where you could try them out for free for a week. They would send u a new iPhone 5S in the mail, u could use unlimited for a week, if u like u keep, if not return phone to local T-Mobile store and your done.

I would have done their test drive program but it won't be available for the new phones for awhile.
  • Reply 102 of 128
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Marvin commented recently on the name Space Grey not making any sense because space isn't grey. My joke is just to rename it after him.

Could be short for spaceship grey.
  • Reply 103 of 128
    sog35 wrote: »
    So you seriously think apple would get rid of the home button?
    Or do you think Apple would make an asymetrical phone?

Hell no. I cant understand why people are so concerned about a 1/4 inch bezel.

Also keep in mind th e LG3 packs a smaller battery that gets horrible battery life in order to fit a smaller frame. The 6 plus has 2 day battery life while the G3 barely makes a day of normal use. So if Apple made the bezels smaller they would either have to make the battery smaller or the phone thicker. No thank you. IMO the Plus feels perfect in the hand and is by far the best feel for a 5.5+ phone. If you are judging by pictures dont. Got hold and use the Plus for yourself. At that point the 1/4 inch of extra bezel will be a moot point.

I neither said or implied either of those points.

of course the 6+ has great battery life. It has a massive battery, nearly 2x the 5s and 50% more. than the 6. But if course battery capacity doesnt matter, iy lasts longer because of magic.
  • Reply 104 of 128

Thanks very much for the video, Dilger. 

Having seen the pocket tests, I'm leaning heavily to the 6, not the 6 Plus. Battery life was the big appeal of the Plus, but I think that Mossberg said that the 6 has substantially more battery life than the 5s, so that, together with this pocket test, is probably giving the 6 the edge. I know the Plus will have a lot more battery life still, but it sounds as though the 6's improvement will be sufficient for most uses.

You asked for questions for the review. I have a few:

a very unreasonable final pocket test: a pair of swimming shorts with fairly shallow pockets.

I'd like to see what it's like using the iPhones as phones held up to the ear. Can the volume be changed easily on a call with the hand holding the phone? Can the mute switch be reached with the phone hand?

What's one-handed use like? For instance, scrolling down pages, tapping buttons, double pressing the home button, and general stability of use in one hand.

• Reply 105 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Perhaps it's easier to comment within one quote rather than splitting it several times to make a comment.

How would you quote my reply if you wanted to respond to this specific post of mine? Not very conveniently.

I think you're making an issue out of nothing. Quoting inquote is simply convenient. I do it myself sometimes; when replying to several different points in one post, it's just easier.

• Reply 106 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunner1954 View Post

I note that the iPhone 5 and iPhone 6 appear to have the same size home screen icons, while the 6 appears to have slightly larger icons; which makes sense if the 6 and 6 are to have the same number of rows (1 more than the 5).

Does this proportionality hold across the included apps?

I ask because as I grow older my eyes struggle to adjust to smaller type, though less so under OS 8 than 7 when using the type size adjustment features. Especially when viewing maps app on the dash of my vehicle; I use a Scosche magnetic mount, which is perfect for my iPhone 5, right now.

If the 6 type size is proportionally larger than the 5&6 models, then that would be a great boon for us who have progressed beyond the age of thirty and could use the extra boost in visual acuity without a loss of screen real estate.

If true, I would bet Larry Ellison, at age 70, would love the 6 .

Good question.

The four places I would love to see a larger font size are the App Store, the Mac App Store, the iBooks Store and the iTunes Store. I find the font for the descriptions and reviews tiny, but changing the system font size has no effect. Perhaps one day, Apple will finally get round to rewriting these apps. 

• Reply 107 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

This has convinced me that the 6 is the way to go. On the other hand...... more battery life. 

I am confused.

Read Mossberg's review on ReCode. He says the 6 has much better battery life than the 5s. Might help you.

• Reply 108 of 128
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

386 people

lol.

• Reply 109 of 128
    jason98 wrote: »
    Just got my 6+ delivered by UPS from t-mobile. My worst fear realized - it is not stable on a surface while typing :(

You paid extra for the 6 Plus yet you didn't think to buy a case since it laying flat was a concern of yours? Buy a case and get over it.
  • Reply 110 of 128
    Someone help me out here... Did the 5 or the 5s/5c go on sale in China same day as the US AND the rest of the world?

Since China has chosen to prevent same-day release of the 6 in China, might their game be to dampen Apple's first week sales numbers?
  • Reply 111 of 128
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Since China has chosen to prevent same-day release of the 6 in China, might their game be to dampen Apple's first week sales numbers?

To what end? There’s no Chinese smartphone company equivalent to (or competing with) Apple.

• Reply 112 of 128
    Someone help me out here... Did the 5 or the 5s/5c go on sale in China same day as the US AND the rest of the world?

The 5S/5c was released in China the same day as the US.

I don't believe it will affect opening weekend sales since demand is so high in the countries it's being released in and Apple places a limit on devices available. It may affect Dec qtr sales if It's not release in China in the next couple months.
  • Reply 113 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by potatoman View Post

Those boxes! Whhhyyyy. They are ridiculously unappealing. Imagine them on a shelf in a store. Eugh.

It matches the upcoming OS X Yosemite…all white and very little color.  Yes, the boxes are quite boring

• Reply 114 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Just got my 6+ delivered by UPS from t-mobile. My worst fear realized - it is not stable on a surface while typing :(

I still believe that was the most stupid design idea from Apple ever to save 0.5mm and make camera protrude instead of just using a bigger battery and slightly thicker case.

Most people, like everyone except you, hold their phone to type on it.  They don't put it on their desk to use it as a typewriter or keyboard.  Buy the Apple leather or silicone case, or any other iPhone 6 case, and problem solved.

• Reply 115 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You paid extra for the 6 Plus yet you didn't think to buy a case since it laying flat was a concern of yours? Buy a case and get over it.

Do you think I care how much a case would cost? I just don't use them and do not like an idea of forcing them.

• Reply 116 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Most people, like everyone except you, hold their phone to type on it.  They don't put it on their desk to use it as a typewriter or keyboard.  Buy the Apple leather or silicone case, or any other iPhone 6 case, and problem solved.

I used to keep my phone on a desk. Why would I have to grab and hold it?

• Reply 117 of 128
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

The article amuses the hell out of me. AI is tacitly saying that Apple has finally lost it's lead in Smartphones. I mean REALLY !! if the only thing you can find that stands out about the 6/6+ is that it is a millimeter thinner than the Samsung Note 3 .. then you're saying a lot and its all bad. Where is the Wow effect ? 

So AI is left to try and squeeze something positive out of a device pair that demonstrate that Apple has entered "me too" mode and given up any attempt to lead. Why the F do you devote half the article to saying that it doesn't actually look and feel as bad as we have spent years on AI (ie since introduction of the Phablets in 2010) saying a phablet is.

Truth is that the 6+ is barely distinguishable from the Samsung note II from its appearance (yeah, the note 2 had rounded edges too ... sooooo modern).

But take some comfort ... the competition is also finding it hard to come up with technical innovations that are worth talking about. Seems that the function-set of a smartphone has more or less been finalized and that we can't expect too much more to come in the next couple of years. Not from Apple, not from the rest. I still think that IOS has the edge in some areas over Android .. but the lead is diminishing daily. But the hardware race has been lost. 

The Samsung Note, Note 2, Note 3 and now Note 4 are nothing more then cheap looking, overpriced plastic phones, with the added insult that is TouchWiz. The iPhone not only looks and runs better, you don't get that, I was just ripped off feeling after you purchase one the way you do with a Samsung phone. TouchWiz is so laggy that even with a fast CPU and lots of memory, it feels like you're using a 2 year old phone.

Apple was the first to use a 64bit ARM CPU in a phone and currently has one of the fastest CPU's on the market today and now that the rest of the industry is getting in on the 64bit action the hardware race is just starting. We will have to see but I'm sure the new Nvidia K1 Denver CPU will be as fast as Apples A8, especially when it contains twice the amount of L1 cache, four times the amount of L2 cache and is clocked almost twice as fast, not to mention that the first device to contain that beast, the Nexus 9 will have 4GB of DDR4 memory. Then Qualcomm might eek forward a little bit with their 810 model but then Apple will probably come back with a vengeance with their next iteration of the iPhone, the 6s. So it's going to be anything but boring in 2015.  These are exciting times, Nvidia's early benchmarks are showing that their Denver architecture is faster than some Intel Haswell chips, that's fast for an ARM CPU, which means that the next version of Apple's CPU will defiantly be fast enough for say a Macbook Air, didn't think about that did you.

What about how display technology is improving so quickly, it wasn't so long ago that 1080p was considered revolutionary but now it's nothing more than a mid range specification as manufactures are starting to use 2K and very soon 4k displays, 4k, can you imagine that in a mobile phone. Memory is also about to get a major upgrade with DDR4, becoming much, much faster while consuming even less power, amazing. iOS just went through a major OS update that got nothing but great reviews and Android is about to get a major update as well next month, with things like increased battery life, almost a 35% improvement, better memory management, not to mention it's much, much faster now that Android had switched from Dalvik to ART, night and day difference.

So I'm not sure what is with all of criticism and cynicism towards Apple, these are great times and their only going to get better.

• Reply 118 of 128
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    relic wrote: »
    The Samsung Note, Note 2, Note 3 and now Note 4 are nothing more then cheap looking, overpriced plastic phones, with the added insult that is TouchWiz. The iPhone not only looks and runs better, you don't get that, I was just ripped off feeling after you purchase one the way you do with a Samsung phone. TouchWiz is so laggy that even with a fast CPU and lots of memory, it feels like you're using a 2 year old phone.

Apple was the first to use a 64bit ARM CPU in a phone and currently has one of the fastest CPU's on the market today and now that the rest of the industry is getting in on the 64bit action the hardware race is just starting. We will have to see but I'm sure the new Nvidia K1 Denver CPU will be as fast as Apples A8, especially when it contains twice the amount of L1 cache, four times the amount of L2 cache and is clocked almost twice as fast, not to mention that the first device to contain that beast, the Nexus 9 will have 4GB of DDR4 memory. Then Qualcomm might eek forward a little bit with their 810 model but then Apple will probably come back with a vengeance with their next iteration of the iPhone, the 6s. So it's going to be anything but boring in 2015.  These are exciting times, Nvidia's early benchmarks are showing that their Denver architecture is faster than some Intel Haswell chips, that's fast for an ARM CPU, which means that the next version of Apple's CPU will defiantly be fast enough for say a Macbook Air, didn't think about that did you.

What about how display technology is improving so quickly, it wasn't so long ago that 1080p was considered revolutionary but now it's nothing more than a mid range specification as manufactures are starting to use 2K and very soon 4k displays, 4k, can you imagine that in a mobile phone. Memory is also about to get a major upgrade with DDR4, becoming much, much faster while consuming even less power, amazing. iOS just went through a major OS update that got nothing but great reviews and Android is about to get a major update as well next month, with things like increased battery life, almost a 35% improvement, better memory management, not to mention it's much, much faster now that Android had switched from Dalvik to ART, night and day difference.

So I'm not sure what is with all of criticism and cynicism towards Apple, these are great times and their only going to get better.

^ Good post from the eclectic Ms. Relic. I did not know these things were coming.
  • Reply 119 of 128
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    hillstones wrote: »
    potatoman wrote: »
    Those boxes! Whhhyyyy. They are ridiculously unappealing. Imagine them on a shelf in a store. Eugh.
    It matches the upcoming OS X Yosemite…all white and very little color.  Yes, the boxes are quite boring

The fake boxes all have the iOS 7 or 8 front on them:

[VIDEO]

Apple may have made the switch at the last minute to the plain embossing to help customers know which are fakes, especially in the likes of China.
  • Reply 120 of 128
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The fake boxes all have the iOS 7 or 8 front on them:

The fakes get a SIM removal tool and we get squat! Also, the guy’s a moron. “the antenna bands highlight the back more”?! Come on.

“I believe a real TouchID version will come out for this phone.” Yeah, he’s a complete moron.

And gives a link to buy it. He needs to be sued for aiding and abetting.