Goodbye, Camera Roll: Where to find your photos in iOS 8

Comments

• Reply 61 of 137

Unrelated, but saw someone complain about Frequent/Recent Contacts showing up on the home button double-tap (I also don't like it)... there is a way to turn that off - as shown here: http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/remove-recent-contacts-ios-8-app-switcher/

• Reply 62 of 137
    Don't wait just upgrade your iOS 7 third party apps with iOS 8 with iPhone 6 Compatible. get the All new features of iOS 8 and take the full advantage of iPhone 6 big size screens. for more visit here - http://bit.ly/1o9VOaX
  • Reply 63 of 137
    I'm failing to see the question asked about the Camera Roll: it's right in front of you...in the Camera app. Where else should it be? Certainly not in the photos app, that has always been in the wrong place. Photos are for photos, Camera roll is for photos and videos.

Still don't understand why the videos are in the photos app and not in the Videos app, but whatever.

What is a mess is iPhoto.ipa:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6290?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

docpops wrote: »
    When Yosemite rolls out and iPhot and Aperture go away, does anyone know what 'Events' will now look like? I'm tempted to roll out Yosemite on another computer to see what impact it has before installing it where my master images are.

1) Aperture isn't gong away. AAMOF, it will be updated once 10.10 is here. A compatibility update, not new features.

2) 10.10 beta doesn't have the OSX Photos application, as it's not ready

gqb wrote: »
    On the iPad, you can kinda see what a picture is. On iPhone? Impossible. Absolutely indiscernible. 
    Then clicking on the year opens it up into 'places' sorting. And again, I don't necessarily know where a given picture was taken.

The thumbnails on the iPad one can see, because they made the thumbnails larger...because of the larger screen.

The thumbnails on the iPhone are meant to be scrubbed, which works very well, IMO. It may be different on the new 5.5" I guess.

ricmac wrote: »
    To all the sniveling whining crybabies - one word; downgrade.  Downgrade to iOS 7 and everything is just the way you think they should be!

As of today, Apple isn't signing iOS7 anymore. So an iOS7 restore from backup works but you will be unable to activate it.
  • Reply 64 of 137
    At first it was difficult to get used to, but If you think about it it's actually a clear and easy interface for your photos. All your photos in one place without wondering whether a photo is in camera roll or in photo stream..
    BUT I think what the application is missing, is some kind of visual key letting you know which photo was actually taken with the device you are holding or even those 'imported' so that you can know what to delete should space become an issue.

I don't plan on using iCloud Photos because my photos are imported to iPhoto on my MacBook Pro and I don't want to pay for having my photos in the cloud (seeing that I have a zillion...)

Does anyone know if those imported photos from other devices that show up in Photos aggregation auto delete after some time? I know the recent album has a shelf life of 30 days, but no one has mentioned this..
  • Reply 65 of 137
    wingswings Posts: 261member

What I don't like about it is that it takes you OUT of the Camera app. If you tap on what was the camera roll icon in lower left (when in camera app), you do still get to swipe through your recent photos ... one at a time. If you then tap the "All Photos" button to try and see a page at a time, you're taken out of the Camera app and pushed into the Photo app.

Also, when viewing photos chronologically there are quirks in that method too. I had several photos taken in 2009 that showed up as "Today".

• Reply 66 of 137
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I'm failing to see the question asked about the Camera Roll: it's right in front of you...in the Camera app. Where else should it be? Certainly not in the photos app, that has always been in the wrong place. Photos are for photos, Camera roll is for photos and videos.

And if you click any navigation from there, you're taken out of Camera to Photos. Terrible navigation.
    What is so hard to understand? A simple view from photos that shows shots taken on this device. Why is that offending people?
  • Reply 67 of 137
    rorwessels wrote: »

These are not folders.  We all need to stop thinking in these old paradigms.  These are CLASSIFICATIONS based on the meta data of the images.  Also, this is in preparation for the storage of ALL of your photos in iCloud.  This was one of the major points in replacing iPhoto with Photos on the Mac OSX.  Photos will be consistent across all the devices and all of your photos will be available across all of the devices.  Some people will complain about the change.  They always do.  iOS 8 and Yosemite are going to be huge changes for all of us to get used too.  I will have to purchase a new iPad this year as well as a new MacBook Pro, just so I can make use of all the features like Continuity and Handoff.

Remember also that we are getting most of these features for free or little cost.

I always get a kick out of people who defend an issue/problem. Especially when it's done so emphatically. I believe you also missed the point entirely. However I do agree that getting an issue you didn't have before for free is better than paying for one.
  • Reply 68 of 137

So what used to take 1 click now takes 2? That's brilliant GUI design!

There's must be something Apple could do to hide photos you just took seconds ago even further...

• Reply 69 of 137

hey I'm sure I saw a setting in photos for organising in moments etc. maybe you can turn that off and see what it looks like...

• Reply 70 of 137
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RORWessels View Post

These are not folders.  We all need to stop thinking in these old paradigms.  These are CLASSIFICATIONS based on the meta data of the images.  Also, this is in preparation for the storage of ALL of your photos in iCloud.  This was one of the major points in replacing iPhoto with Photos on the Mac OSX.  Photos will be consistent across all the devices and all of your photos will be available across all of the devices.  Some people will complain about the change.  They always do.  iOS 8 and Yosemite are going to be huge changes for all of us to get used too.  I will have to purchase a new iPad this year as well as a new MacBook Pro, just so I can make use of all the features like Continuity and Handoff.

Remember also that we are getting most of these features for free or little cost.  On any other platform, we would either pay through the nose or pay with our identity and personal information.

Personally, I am ok with the changes to the Photos app and how it works..  The organization makes more sense when you think about it objectively.  It's unfortunate that we have all gotten so set in our ways here that this is somehow a major issue.  It was an organizational change that should have happened before.

And you create "Albums" which are subsets of your library and with it organized this way, you are not then having to create copies of those images in each album.  So it also saves storage space this way.

And it's STILL a bad design, no matter what software company it is coming from. It's inconsistent. It's unnatural. It's wrong. 

For example, if you have two albums and you named a second album, say... "Hawaii trip" and you select pics from Collections album and when you are done, you still see the Hawaii pictures in Collections and that gives you an impression that the duplicates are created when in reality, they aren't duplicates - they are merely shortcuts. 

And that is a horrible UX. You don't create "shortcuts" in real life - you don't make an album, and create "shortcuts" to the original source. The physical pictures are not going to run to your "album" then go back to the original source. 

You can clearly have "classification" sorting but it has to be done with the correct implementation and users should see the obvious when they're in the classification mode. And to this day, Apple failed miserably with iTunes and pictures. It has caused more problems than it "solved" problems. Remember when you couldn't back up Camera Rolls via iTunes? It's insane.  

Computers need to be smarter than people when it comes to dealing with many files - we have cameras with GPS built in, we have meta data that we can figure out, and scan the dominant colors and basic shapes - they can even recognize faces. So, why are they complicating everything in the name of "classification" organization? This is NOT how people operate. People like to know where their pics are actually saved in a logical location, not how the pics are "classified."  They need to have the ability to ACTUALLY MOVE files around. 

That UX pisses me off to no end. It's not Just Apple... Microsoft is doing the same. They are just UX failures that people keep having trouble understanding. Same with Adobe's Lightroom - the workflow is NOT exactly corresponding to the actual locations and when LR asks you to backup, it doesn't really backup the actual pictures but rather catalogs and I can tell you how many people have lost their pictures because they THOUGHT all their pics are backed up. 

Don't blame on customers - they were RIGHT in the first place - their reasoning is solid. Their intuition's correct. It's Apple, Adobe, and Microsoft being the source of UX problems. 

• Reply 71 of 137
    I agree bring back the camera roll
    At least I still got my pictures somewhere
  • Reply 72 of 137
    *****Try Turning off location for photo app, then photo app organizes your photos by date in chronological order
  • Reply 73 of 137
    carta wrote: »
    First thing I looked for is a picture of Bono slipped into my, and everyone's, photo collection. I mean, why not? It's free. You don't have to keep it; you can hide it. I looked for it and...all the whining about free albums has impacted the powers that be in Cupertino. It's a shame, just a shame.

Lol! Quite.

All the pribbling, leptus-leering, dissemblers who couldn't see a problem with Apple altering our music libraries will obviously be happy with a free 100MB video being automatically added to their iCloud Photo Library each day featuring Bono picking a bone with his pet chihuahua.
  • Reply 74 of 137
    ricmac wrote: »
    To all the sniveling whining crybabies - one word; downgrade.  Downgrade to iOS 7 and everything is just the way you think they should be!

Well said!
  • Reply 75 of 137
    so what happens if you can't upgrade to PHOTOS in OSX Yosemite?
  • Reply 76 of 137
    You can enable sync over wifi. Then syncing isn't a manual process.

Edit: this was meant to be in reply.

Also, I don't care which device I used to take the photo. I suspect that's the case for the vast majority of users.
  • Reply 77 of 137

Feedback submitted. Crazy indeed. 

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

• Reply 78 of 137
    jbelkin wrote: »
    so what happens if you can't upgrade to PHOTOS in OSX Yosemite?

You disappear in a puff of smoke.
  • Reply 79 of 137

And if you click any navigation from there, you're taken out of Camera to Photos. Terrible navigation.
    What is so hard to understand? A simple view from photos that shows shots taken on this device. Why is that offending people?

That is indeed the wrong approach from Apple. Feedback submitted, and it doesn't bode well for next years' Photos.
  • Reply 80 of 137

That is indeed the wrong approach from Apple. Feedback submitted, and it doesn't bode well for next years' Photos.

I prefer the current approach.

Camera roll always felt like a kludge, especially when Photo Stream was introduced. Now, when you tap on photos in the Camera app, it takes you to your recent photos. In addition, you get to see when they were taken.

Most people don't care about which device their photo was taken on. In fact, most prefer to have all photos together in chronological order, just as they are now.