Apple again taps Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon for new iPhone 6 ads

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

I wasn't a big fan of Fallon before he got the Tonight Show gig, but I have been very pleasantly surprised.  I think it's fair to say that he has completely revitalized that franchise and is in his way to becoming a Johnny Carson-like figure with cross-generational/cross-demographic appeal.  He's edgier than Jay but nicer/more empathetic than Dave (and I'm a life-long Letterman fan).  I expect that these ads will please more people than they turn off.  And the "oh wait is that Jimmy Fallon?  who's the other guy? oh..." element is almost certainly intentional.  Remember the original iMac ads?  They didn't tell us it was Jeff Goldblum talking (and why would they).

And very early Apple spots didn't tell us it was Dick Cavett (although he's very recognizable) or Richard Dreyfuss. 

I think that in some respects, Fallon has an edge even over Carson.   Since he can sing, dance and do impressions, he's really the most multi-talented talk-show host since Steve Allen (and Steve didn't do impressions).   While he's not as good an interviewer as Carson and probably somewhat less intelligent than Carson, Allen, Cavett or Jack Paar, I think he's even better at making guests feel comfortable.   I think he's also more aware than any other talk show host of the current consciousness of the younger audience with his total awareness and enthusiasm for both young music groups and social media conventions.    His bit with Billy Joel was absolutely fantastic.    While Carson had current acts on his show, you could tell that he didn't really know anything about them and couldn't relate even when he thought they were talented and asked them back, like Richie Havens.   And all the bits with Tiny Tim seemed exploitive.   Cavett tried (too hard) to be hip, but always seemed a tad uncomfortable, even with Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix and John & Yoko.  He was much more comfortable with authors, old movie stars and Groucho Marx.

Apparently, Fallon's ratings are much higher and achieved must faster than NBC expected (although in this web-based and cable-driven world, just a fraction of what Carson achieved, even with a repeat show or guest host.)   In a ratings race, I think Fallon will handily beat Stephen Colbert when he takes over the Letterman spot, even though I personally would probably choose to watch Colbert over Fallon. 

But one thing I can't stand on his show is Steve Higgins, who looks like he stepped out of a 1950s game show and has humor to match.   I suppose some would think that Higgins works for older viewers, but I'm an older viewer (not that I represent everyone's taste) and I find him even more annoying that Ed McMahon was.   I think Fallon should have gone completely in the opposite direction and gotten someone like a George Carlin-type or someone like Jessica Williams.

• Reply 42 of 50
    malax wrote: »
    rogifan wrote: »
    What happens to the Powerful ad campaign? Does Apple just abandon it?
    Wasn't that months ago?

True... so 2014...get over it. That was then, this is now. Don't have a cow, man!

"Dunnn Dunn Dunn!! Da Dunnnnnnn!!!" --- That's so October, really! Loved it!
  • Reply 43 of 50
    hopeless wrote: »
    Shouldn't the ads name who is talking or show them at some point? I think a lot of people are going to watch these ads and just think Apple has lost their minds.

Yeah, but lost it in a good way... now the Microsoft "shoe store ads" were lost it in a bad way. See the diff?
  • Reply 44 of 50
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Why even bother with stars when you don't show their face? If I had not known beforehand I doubt I would have known who it was. I would prefer a Stephen Colbert and Justin Timberlake ad with some song and comedy. Stephen is also a huge Apple fan in real life. 

• Reply 45 of 50
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

If you understand the commercial exactly, you'd know that Timberlakes always mentions "huge" as physical aspect of the phone which is mocking at Samsung/Android devices "It's huge" and that's all he got. But Fallon is more into what in side of iPhone 6 in his "huge" which is software + hardware + ecosystem + usability + applicability as a whole. It's brilliant that you mock the competitors without calling out their names or mentioning things so blatantly but let the viewers to interpret it. 

• Reply 46 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I hate these adverts. No class. Annoying.

I wish Apple would stop dragging in the Dre's the Bono's the Timberlake's of this world. 

It reminds me of an out-of-touch dad trying to be cool. The moment you start trying to be cool, you stop being cool.

I really hate these ads. I hated the first two, too. Their voices are so annoying. They sound like Samsung ads. 

Apple needs to trash this ad campaign immediately and start afresh with something else. It doesn't matter what. Anything will be better than these obnoxious attempts.

• Reply 47 of 50
    Man, by the look of some of these responses it appears as though Apple has really failed with these ads. They should get a better marketing department. If they had one, maybe their iPhone sales would improve. Maybe they would have broken sales records over the weekend. Maybe they would have sold, like, over 10 million phones in 3 days...

Oh, wait...
  • Reply 48 of 50

By the look of some of these comments it appears as though Apple has lost its way. I bet they wish they had a better marketing division. If so, maybe their iPhone sales would be stronger. Maybe they would have broken sales records. Maybe they would have sold, like, 10 million phones in 3 days...

Oh, wait... 

• Reply 49 of 50
    "The camera on the new iPhones are better than ever."

Nice. Just after a commercial featuring a nonsensical song with the nonsensical lyric "I'm feeling hopefully," we get this tragic abomination of English grammar by one of the largest companies in the world (not to mention that I had to endure terrible music from U2).

But I'm quite impressed by the fact that the iPhone 6 is bigger (wow!) and has a camera (woo hoo!); not many smartphones can boast about those features. I mean, not since 2010 at least.

And for English usage, I give this terrible waste of time ... an F.

Cheers.
  • Reply 50 of 50

"The camera on the new iPhones are better than ever."

Nice. Just after a commercial featuring a nonsensical song with the nonsensical lyric "I'm feeling hopefully," we get this tragic abomination of English grammar by one of the largest companies in the world (not to mention that I had to endure terrible music from U2).

But I'm quite impressed by the fact that the iPhone 6 is bigger (wow!) and has a camera (woo hoo!); not many smartphones can boast about those features. I mean, not since 2010 at least.

And for English usage, I give this terrible waste of time ... an F.

Cheers.