Apple again taps Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon for new iPhone 6 ads

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
Apple on Monday released two new ads highlighting the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, calling back Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon to hype the new handsets' screen sizes and advanced camera functions.




The new spots, titled "Huge" and "Cameras," follow two commercials starring the two real-life friends that Apple CEO Tim Cook debuted at the iPhone 6 event earlier this month.

As alluded to in the title, "Huge" concentrates on the extra screen real estate afforded by the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus. Fallon plays the straight man, rattling off activities made easier with the larger panels, while Timberlake cracks wise by emphasizing over and over that the new iPhones are "so huge."



"Cameras" throws a spotlight on Apple's new iPhone camera capabilities, including slow-mo (called "super slo-mo" in the ad), time lapse photos and editing extensibility with the Photos app. While some advanced camera functions are included with iOS 8, including Photos integration, hardware-based functions like 240fps slow-motion video capture is available only with the iPhone 6 lineup.

With the new Sony sensor, A8 image processing and -- on the iPhone 6 Plus -- optical image stabilization, the iPhone 6 is Apple's best-performing shooter to date. Monday's ad shows a close-up of the iPhone's OIS system in action.



Apple's first two iPhone 6 ads with Fallon and Timberlake focused on the handsets' ability to track health stats and a quick run through of new features.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 50
    Love how playful these are
  • Reply 2 of 50
    calicali Posts: 3,495member
    "Dunnn Dunn Dunn!! Da Dunnnnnnn!!!"

    These are terrible by Apple standards.

    I really hope these aren't made by Apples new in-house team.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,151member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post



    "Dunnn Dunn Dunn!! Da Dunnnnnnn!!!"



    These are terrible by Apple standards.



    I really hope these aren't made by Apples new in-house team.

     

    Wow, couldn't disagree more. I laughed multiple times during both of them. They are hilarious, tongue in cheek, and awesome. Do a good job describing features while not taking themselves too seriously. A nice break form the "iProducts are changing the world" ultra self-important ads. The closest thing, tone wise, to the "Get a Mac" ads I've seen yet. 

     

    If this is the in-house team, then bravo. 

  • Reply 4 of 50
    cali wrote: »
    "Dunnn Dunn Dunn!! Da Dunnnnnnn!!!"

    These are terrible by Apple standards.

    I really hope these aren't made by Apples new in-house team.

    I too thought that one was terrible. The other one was okay.

    Of course, I didn't recognize either of the voices until I saw someone mention who they were.

    They're about as good as the stupid iPad campaign where people randomly yelled out words.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

    "Dunnn Dunn Dunn!! Da Dunnnnnnn!!!"



    I do not like that one. Jimmy needs a pitch pipe BADLY. I’d be okay with it if it wasn’t so grossly out of tune.

  • Reply 6 of 50

    "Apple again taps..." ???

     

    It's a friggin' campaign! There's going to be many more these ads using JT and JF. Why dramatize it with "again taps"?

  • Reply 7 of 50
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

    Nice ads.  JT and Jimmy F. are extremely popular/likable stars and people who care will quickly recognize their voices.  Those who don't will probably think the ads are pretty weird, but there are a lot of people in the first camp.  Well done, Apple.

  • Reply 8 of 50

    I wonder how long it will be before Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon start tweeting from their Galaxy S5s...

    /s

  • Reply 9 of 50
    Honestly, I LOL'ed many times after both ads, I think they were very light hearted, witty, showed the products off well, and did a good job at driving the point home that these are bigger and better.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Wow, couldn't disagree more. I laughed multiple times during both of them. They are hilarious, tongue in cheek, and awesome. Do a good job describing features while not taking themselves too seriously. A nice break form the "iProducts are changing the world" ultra self-important ads. The closest thing, tone wise, to the "Get a Mac" ads I've seen yet. 

    If this is the in-house team, then bravo. 
    What happens to the Powerful ad campaign? Does Apple just abandon it?
  • Reply 11 of 50
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post





    What happens to the Powerful ad campaign? Does Apple just abandon it?

    Wasn't that months ago?

  • Reply 12 of 50
    calicali Posts: 3,495member
    I guess I've adjusted to how good Apples iPhone ads have been in the past.

    Its disappointing really after how amazing Septembers keynote intro video was and how unbelievably good ?Watch reveal video was so I know they're capable.

    I didn't say these were bad, they're just way behind what Apple's done before. Had they been Sammy ads they would have been great... for Sammy.

    if you compare these new commercials with Apple's older ads It's like a whole different company:

    youtube.com/watch?v=ODmfmUWqlSA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

    youtube.com/watch?v=H_xUuf8aYEA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • Reply 13 of 50

    Shouldn't the ads name who is talking or show them at some point? I think a lot of people are going to watch these ads and just think Apple has lost their minds.

  • Reply 14 of 50
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,151member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post





    What happens to the Powerful ad campaign? Does Apple just abandon it?

     

    So Apple should keep the same campaign style forever? Really? Yeah, thats what happens with ad campaigns. They get "abandoned" because everyone will get sick an tired of the same style, no matter how good the ad is. I'm sure they'll go back to something similar in the future, but you have to break things up to keep things interesting. Although I personally loved the Powerful ads, I think this style will resonate more strongly with the average person. Most people probably couldn't understand what the **** the people in those powerful ads were even doing with their phones. 

  • Reply 15 of 50
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,151member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cali View Post



    I guess I've adjusted to how good Apples iPhone ads have been in the past.



    Its disappointing really after how amazing Septembers keynote intro video was and how unbelievably good ?Watch reveal video was so I know they're capable.



    I didn't say these were bad, they're just way behind what Apple's done before. Had they been Sammy ads they would have been great... for Sammy.



    if you compare these new commercials with Apple's older ads It's like a whole different company:



    youtube.com/watch?v=ODmfmUWqlSA&feature=youtube_gdata_player



    youtube.com/watch?v=H_xUuf8aYEA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

     

    You're absolutely right, releasing a different style of ads (you know, like they do every few months)  means Apple is "a whole different company". Can you be anymore dramatic? We just witnessed 2 of the best events in Apple's history the past few months, they just sold 10+ million phones in a weekend, and already we've got the concern-trolling Apple-is-doomed drama bullshit because you don't like an ad. Try to keep some perspective. 

  • Reply 16 of 50
    I came here expecting all the comments to say these ads are terrible. I certainly think they are. I guess the jury is still out on them though.

    I personally don't think any of the iPhone ads have been that great since the ones that were part of the campaign like the one linked below. Those and the original iPhone ads were pretty great. The rest have all been pretty mediocre or bad, with the exception of the kid recording video on Christmas from last year.

  • Reply 17 of 50

    I hate these adverts. No class. Annoying.

     

    I wish Apple would stop dragging in the Dre's the Bono's the Timberlake's of this world. 

     

    It reminds me of an out-of-touch dad trying to be cool. The moment you start trying to be cool, you stop being cool.

  • Reply 18 of 50
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post





    I too thought that one was terrible. The other one was okay.



    Of course, I didn't recognize either of the voices until I saw someone mention who they were.



    They're about as good as the stupid iPad campaign where people randomly yelled out words.



    Generally speaking, the Timberlake/Fallon ads don't impress me much. The ad titled "Huge" plays right into the hands of those who criticize Apple for adopting features already available on competitor products, then acting like they (Apple) just discovered it.

  • Reply 19 of 50
    patsupatsu Posts: 429member
    It's fine to have fun once in a while. I don't mind the humor at all.
    People will know Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake are involved over time.
    Rewatching them just makes it more fun.

    Apple have been too rigid in many of the older ads.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    Shapoww!
Sign In or Register to comment.