Apple to address problems with keyboards, VPN, more in iOS 8.0.1 - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
The first maintenance update for Apple's latest mobile operating system could come sooner, rather than later, as the company is again said to have seeded carrier partners with iOS 8.0.1 to fixes a number of issues that have cropped up since iOS 8's release.

Apple is believed to be targeting issues with the Phone app, Safari, keyboards, AirDrop, and VPN support. The update could appear "fairly soon," according to MacRumors.

In the Phone app, fixes are thought to be aimed at call forwarding, as well as a situation in which the device freezes when accessing visual voicemail. Faulty video playback in Safari will also get a look, as will an issue with the keyboard framework that causes iCloud Keychain verification codes to appear invisible.

Additionally, AirDrop support for Passbook passes will reportedly be fixed alongside VPN profile installation troubles.

Word that Apple had begun work on iOS 8.0.1 first appeared early this month, in advance of iOS 8's public release. Such a scenario is not unusual, given that major-version iOS releases are tied to the release dates of the accompanying new hardware, and as such may be shipped in a less-than-ideal state.

Despite the problems some have reported, iOS 8 adoption has been swift. Statistics from the iOS App Store show that some 46 percent of devices accessing the storefront are running iOS 8, compared to 49 percent for iOS 7 and just 5 percent for older versions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    My VPN (Cloak) is working much better under iOS 8.0. I hope that they don't fix it too much.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

I have seen delays in messages via iMessage coming through quite frequently.  Some apps freeze for a few seconds before being able to scroll in them and sometimes, the screen doesn't respond to a touch.  Overall it is pretty good and worth the upgrade.

• Reply 3 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Some apps freeze for a few seconds before being able to scroll in them and sometimes, the screen doesn't respond to a touch.  

The same thing happened when iOS 7 first came out. I noticed right away that it was slightly more laggy compared to iOS 6. That was eventually fixed in a later iOS 7 update.

By the time that iOS 8.1 or something comes out, then I imagine that these issues will have been fixed, as Apple works on optimizing everything.

• Reply 4 of 53
    I hope to God that they fix the folder border-radius bug.

(Credit: )

Also, the default keyboard doesn't stick. I use SwiftKey, have it listed as the first keyboard in settings, yet it always gets superseded by the standard keyboard.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    Exactly what I love and why I stay Apple, they quickly patch issues that crop up after major software releases.

This was one of the biggest grips with my wife's S3, constantly on older software and fixes to issues were very slow to roll out... if ever.

iOS 8 is definitely more stable than when iOS 7 hit, but it wasn't nearly as big in the changes department as iOS 7 was.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    For me the Mail app has been buggy on my iPad Air. After I've read a message the blue Unread dot won't go away. And when I tap a message in the side panel in order to read it on full screen, the side panel won't automatically slide away, I have to swipe it away or tap the message behind it.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    I hope they squeeze in a fix for the WiFi problem as well
  • Reply 8 of 53

This is what I like about Apple to come out very fast with dot release to address issues escaped in major OS release. Unfortunately and unlike my Android LG Optimus G e970 AT&T where I had to wait for several months to receive Jellybean update and waiting over a year for kitkat update which we know will never arrive. Though, one concern with ios 8.0.1 update is hope it does not mess up WiFi chip which happened to some number of iphone 4s during IOS 7.x update.  For most users of iphone 4s out of warranty, it becomes devastating to lose iphone 4s while doing IOS update.

• Reply 9 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I'm having a few noticeable problems. Battery life on both my iPhone 5 and iPad Air are a bit worse. Not a problem, but noticeable.

More of a problem is with Safari, or possibly the new predictive typing mode. Two problems. The first is occasional freezes in Safari when typing in posts. At first, it was really strange. I typed two letters in, and it froze. I closed the app thought the manager, went back to the page, and when I typed the same two letters, it froze again.

Since then, it's happened a couple of times on other sites with other letters or words.

Worse is that it doesn't seem to use my shortcuts at all.
  • Reply 10 of 53

The only issue I have been having is with Movie and TV Show art work not showing up and instead getting a grey box with the title in it.  This problem started with the iOS8 upgrade.  Some show up and most don't.  And I've even tried using art work that works with one title, but still won't show up on a different title.  Happens to both my iPhone 5S and iPad Air.

I have been checking the Apple forums, and others seem to have this problem with no fix.  I've been leaving feedback left and right with Apple.

I have A LOT of movies and TV shows and spent countless hours picking the art work I wanted.  I hope this gets addressed.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

• Reply 11 of 53

Apple does better than most companies on testing and releasing products, however this is the reason I do not to immediately upgrade. With all the users out there doing different things there is bound to be issues like this. I tend to wait and see what they are and then decide if the issue are going to cause me problems. Thanks for the people who can not wait and must have it now.

• Reply 12 of 53
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Well, but hey - a full week out.

I think with 7.0 it needed addressing the second day out(?)

• Reply 13 of 53
    melgross wrote: »
    I'm having a few noticeable problems. Battery life on both my iPhone 5 and iPad Air are a bit worse. Not a problem, but noticeable.

More of a problem is with Safari, or possibly the new predictive typing mode. Two problems. The first is occasional freezes in Safari when typing in posts. At first, it was really strange. I typed two letters in, and it froze. I closed the app thought the manager, went back to the page, and when I typed the same two letters, it froze again.

Since then, it's happened a couple of times on other sites with other letters or words.

Worse is that it doesn't seem to use my shortcuts at all.

The two letters that freeze your Safari are most likely part of one or more of your shortcuts. I have my email address as a shortcut and when I invoke the shortcut, Safari freezes.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    melgross
    I didn't have a battery problem on my iPad Air with the iOS 8 upgrade but I did with my iPhone 5s. Using the new battery usage screen in Settings I found that one App on the iPhone was using 80% of my battery ! I killed it but still it was showing up and my battery was still being rapidly drained. Shutdown and restarted the iPhone and haven't had a battery issue since. I will probably delete this App as I don't really use it that much.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member

I wonder how much of people's battery life reduction has to do with them spending several hours playing with all the new features and settings. Just sayin'.

• Reply 16 of 53
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member

I hope they address the iMessage bugs.

• Reply 17 of 53

HeathKit?

• Reply 18 of 53
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

For those that don't want iBook, it can no longer be removed and is part of the OS load now.

• Reply 19 of 53
    Now if Apple can just fix the sync problem with iTunes 11.4.....
  • Reply 20 of 53
    So much for apple "release[ing] products when they are ready" not sticking with a timeline. ????