Video demonstrates reported iPhone 6 Plus bending issues

Comments

• Reply 401 of 543
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

I think, definitely positively, that this is a design flaw

You think wrong. Period.

…Apple will be struck with a massive ammount of warranty claims…

Every single last one of them will be turned down.

If they bend when you sit down, get in the car, do a little dancing, Apple will have no other choice than to replace the items.

It’s almost as though you’re incapable of reading or comprehending English.

• Reply 402 of 543

Samsung non-stick pan. :)<ALT>

• Reply 403 of 543
    How many people put their sunglasses in their pocket?

How many people put their phone in their pocket?

That's not the point. The point is why don't people put their sunglasses in their pocket? Both are made of metal and glass/polycarbonate. Why do people think phones are indestructible?

I want people to duct tape some glass to a piece of metal then shove that into their pockets. Smart people would say "no, the glass may break or it's too rigid to fit comfortably".
  • Reply 404 of 543
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    jungmark wrote: »
    How much force was done to both? I want to see a scientific approach to these things.

Agreed- let's have Beyonce, JLo and Kim Kardashian test out this back pocket bending theory.
  • Reply 405 of 543
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

That's not the point. The point is why don't people put their sunglasses in their pocket? Both are made of metal and glass/polycarbonate. Why do people think phones are indestructible?

I want people to duct tape some glass to a piece of metal then shove that into their pockets. Smart people would say "no, the glass may break or it's too rigid to fit comfortably".

That is the point.

People expect to put a phone in their pocket if it fits. It's natural. You talk as if Apple was the first company to make a 5.5" phone.

Once people find out they can't put a iPhone 6+ in their pocket (if it actually does bend) then most of them will stop buying it.

• Reply 406 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

That's OK, the old Steve Jobs way of trying to keep some semblance of form, function, design style and decorum evidently doesn't fly either.

I'm sure Jony Ive will make a statement saying your iPhone is bending in your pocket because it's trying to give your leg a hug because it loves you. There could be an upside to this if it bends enough everyone could start wearing it as an iBraclet then there would be no need to put it in our pocket. 

• Reply 407 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

this happens every time iPhone is released.  last time it was someone demonstrating how its possible to copy fingerprints and fool touch ID.  Now its people trying to bend phones. Anything to get some media attention.  how come no one is bending iPad mini's or Macbook Airs?

Who is putting an iPad mini in their pocket?

Just stick with the 6 and get an iPad mini for larger viewing if you are thinking of getting a 6+.

• Reply 408 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

It's not debunked. The person stated the phone already showed signs of being bent from being in his pocket. This is exactly what consumers are saying and what started this entire topic. People aren't walking around bending their phones for no reason just to see if they can bend. This is fairly simple, the phone has a large surface area, there is clearly a weak area that needs to be reenforced. 

To end this issue Apple should simply test the phone, find the area of weakness, fix it and then give anyone that had their phone bend a replacement. That would be the right way to address this issue. The issue blew up on social media because consumers were saying the phone was bending in their pocket with normal use. Something that would upset anyone and something that has never happened with previous iPhones. 

The old Steve Jobs way of trying to blame the consumer for a defect simply isn't going to fly. 

It's happened on every iPhone since the 4s. What are you talking about?

• Reply 409 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You think wrong. Period.

Every single last one of them will be turned down.

It’s almost as though you’re incapable of reading or comprehending English.

Can't be turned down if you have Applecare +. 

• Reply 410 of 543
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

People aren't walking around bending their phones for no reason just to see if they can bend. This is fairly simple, the phone has a large surface area, there is clearly a weak area that needs to be reenforced. 

Surface area is irrelevant to bending. It's how the force is being applied that makes the phone bend. That's why all the videos that show people bending the phones do not involve them placing the phone vertically against their leg. They bend the phone by having most of the surface area underneath the phone unsupported. That's obviously not going to occur if the phone is placed vertically in your pocket against your leg.

• Reply 411 of 543
    Apple may have to start with an IQ test before selling a iPhone to some of these idiots....Who in the hell puts something as big as the Plus in your Back pocket???
  • Reply 412 of 543
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Surface area is irrelevant to bending. It's how the force is being applied that makes the phone bend. That's why all the videos that show people bending the phones do not involve them placing the phone vertically against their leg. They bend the phone by having most of the surface area underneath the phone unsupported. That's obviously not going to occur if the phone is in your pocket against your leg.

The top edge of some front pockets (ie the 501's I'm wearing) falls at the hip. That of course leaves open the possibility of a fulcrum effect when you sit down, particularly if you have a very tall phone.
  • Reply 413 of 543
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    atlapple wrote: »

It's not debunked. The person stated the phone already showed signs of being bent from being in his pocket. This is exactly what consumers are saying and what started this entire topic. People aren't walking around bending their phones for no reason just to see if they can bend. This is fairly simple, the phone has a large surface area, there is clearly a weak area that needs to be reenforced. 

To end this issue Apple should simply test the phone, find the area of weakness, fix it and then give anyone that had their phone bend a replacement. That would be the right way to address this issue. The issue blew up on social media because consumers were saying the phone was bending in their pocket with normal use. Something that would upset anyone and something that has never happened with previous iPhones. 

The old Steve Jobs way of trying to blame the consumer for a defect simply isn't going to fly. 

The area of weakness is in the head of the owner. Sitting with it in your pocket is not normal use. The owner has to change his or her behavior to fit the new form factor, just like with the double glass surfaces of the 4/4S, which were more likely to break when dropped or sat on. It's no different with this expanse of flat aluminum.

You seem to think that they could easily merge a fix for this bogus "issue" in the middle of production. I don't think you have the slightest ability to imagine what a redesign of the case would involve. I suggest you stop posting about this until you've thought it through. If that never can be accomplished, so be it.
  • Reply 414 of 543

They tried to make this an 'issue' with iPads too.

• Reply 415 of 543
    Surface area is irrelevant to bending. It's how the force is being applied that makes the phone bend. That's why all the videos that show people bending the phones do not involve them placing the phone vertically against their leg. They bend the phone by having most of the surface area underneath the phone unsupported. That's obviously not going to occur if the phone is placed vertically in your pocket against your leg.

A larger surface area makes things easier to bend, because of the increase in leverage.
  • Reply 416 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stargazerCT View Post

No, intentional fraud escapes me, especially since I'm an Apple shareholder. Money to Apple is money to me.

Ok, don't be so naive. Add fraud to your internal database of things that actually happen and affect your investments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

So I saw where this video has been debunked over on 9to5mac. The video is a fake.

1:39 in the video when he’s bending the phone, the iPhone clock reads 2:26, Tuesday September 23

2:16 in the video when the phone is already bend, the iPhone clock reads 1:58, Tuesday September 23

So they cut in the video. Maybe used two phones. Everything after the "mine's already bent" portion is of no value anyway -- real or fake.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

What's your point? I've had every model of the iPhone since it debuted, and each one I've carried in my front and back pockets of tight jeans, and routinely sat in them. I've never once had any issues with any of the phones, EVER. Then again, I would never carry an object the size of a 6 Plus in my jeans pockets, EVER. So there's that.

Your sample size of one does not contribute anything of value, especially with more rigid (past) phones.

Different people have different anatomy. Different pants/shorts have different pocket depths and different positions around the waistband. Different pants/shorts have more or less room in their design. I own several pairs of pants that have a sub-pocket for a phone that keeps it higher in the pocket so it doesn't pull out everything else in the pocket when retrieved.

It's pretty obvious to me that one wouldn't sit with a 6+ in their front or rear pocket, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. Apple is famous for UX excellence, but with this one, they may have misjudged a common use case.

We really won't know what the situation is for a few weeks though, I'd imagine. Lots of people just looking for attention on this right now.

• Reply 417 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryMagoo View Post

Apple may have to start with an IQ test before selling a iPhone to some of these idiots....Who in the hell puts something as big as the Plus in your Back pocket???

Android users... for at least 2 years now.

• Reply 418 of 543
    Wonderful!

No way am I getting a Plus! Why did Apple make it? 

My next iPhone is now a 6 or a 5s.

I'm with the sorry band of Marvin and T.S. who say that the 5.5" shouldn’t exist.

To all the poor suckers who have ordered or bought a Plus: thank your lucky stars for warranties.

I can tell you from my personal experience that the 6 is such a wonderful phone. It is beautiful and rock solid. You will NOT be disappointed.
  • Reply 419 of 543

Obviously not a design flaw, but a feature. Call it 'iBend'.

In the 6s plus Apple will update the feature to allow the phone to return to its original shape afterwards. Call it 'iFlex'.

Of course, as can be seen from the videos the Samsung Note already has this enhanced feature, but they probably call it 'sFlex' or something.

• Reply 420 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

It's happened on every iPhone since the 4s. What are you talking about?

I've never had an iPhone bend ever. There has never been a wide spread reported issue with any other iPhone bending. You need to just accept this is logical. Apple makes a phone really thin. They change the overall design and then make a phone with a very large service area that is flat with no cure at all. They then put a very large battery in it that is flexible leaving a large area of aluminum with very little support. 

To the best of my knowledge this isn't being reported with the 4.7 version. It isn't some unforgivable sin that this phone may have an unforeseen weak area that needs to be address and fixed. For those that put a protective case on the phone this may never been an issue because in most cased it will make the phone more rigged. 

I also find it hypocritical for members of this forum to beat up on Samsung and then try to see if the same thing is happening to Samsung phones. If Samsung is shit and Apple is premium then it shouldn't matter if it is happening on a Samsung phone. The sad part based on the video posted in this thread it isn't happening to Samsung Note phones.